Josh Allen - week TWO report card

rayray808

I can't give him better than a B until he starts hitting guys in stride. He is still mostly putting the ball in places where guys have to adjust awkwardly, and have no shot at running anywhere after the catch. If he ever gets that dialed in, he will become a Hall of Famer. 

For the second week in a row, the Bills needed a drive in the 4th quarter, and Allen drove them down the field.  You don't win the Super Bowl the second week of the season, but you can do a lot to build the right foundation.

is this an A game for the 10th week of the season?  Probably not.  Is it an A game for the second game of the season, both in the road, with 8 new starters on the offense?  Yep.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, skibum said:

I can't give him better than a B until he starts hitting guys in stride. He is still mostly putting the ball in places where guys have to adjust awkwardly, and have no shot at running anywhere after the catch. If he ever gets that dialed in, he will become a Hall of Famer. 

So it's either above average or Hall of Fame? There is no in between?

13 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

you gotta stop trolling us

I won't apologize for being a tough grader. My hope for Allen is that of a future Super Bowl champion and Hall of Famer. I'm going to grade him accordingly.

He needs a killer instinct. He should want to destroy the bad teams like the Giants. I could see the Giants going 1-15 this season and they made it a game because the offense didn't show up after halftime until late in the 4th quarter.

Brady will pick his opponent's heart out and eat it in front of his children.

That's what I want that in my QB. Without it, we'll never see our Bills overtake the Patriots.

I’ll give him an A- for the game. I was very impressed with all the long dives he put together. That is something we haven’t seen much from our QBs in the past. I think he can continue to grow by varying ball velocity when appropriate . It still seems like it’s all fastballs. His decision making has definitely improved and that is a great thing to see. 

The way the OL is a work-in-progress and was disappointing in pass protection................

I am giving Allen an A today.

He missed a few throws, but they all do.

He is still meshing with NINE new starters around him.

I can't really complain too much about Allen, only the haters and people who are clueless about football are bashing Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

Solid B+

Those 3 straight TD drives including a 98 yarder was akin to an early knockout blow in the 2nd quarter.

The game was in very little doubt after that.  The only time that the Giants looked like they could be a threat Allen led them to another TD drive with that sick 3rd down conversion where he juked the defender escaped the pocket and threw a strike across his body on the run to Brown.  That play was clutch.

He made a few errant passes and held it longer than he should have a couple times but he was a standout performer.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 1

I'd give him an A-. I didn't see anything bad that he did. There was one overthrow to Brown on the deep route, but that happens.

My absolute favorite play from him today was when they were backed up in their own end zone. He stood tall in the pocket and went through his reads to find Brown open for a big gain. Takes a ton of confidence and trust in your oline to stay in the pocket and wait (while standing in your end zone!) for the play to progress. Most QB's panic in that situation and get happy feet, then rush the throw or try to scramble to get out of the end zone. I was really impressed with how calm he was on the play. And dang, great protection by the online on that play too.

• Like (+1) 1

This narrative of conservative play calling in the third quarter is going to hurt my head.  It. Did. Not. Happen.

Not moving the ball does not equal conservative play calling.  We took a lot of penalties and the giants had a pass rush all of a sudden.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Crayola64 said:

This narrative of conservative play calling in the third quarter is going to hurt my head.  It. Did. Not. Happen.

Not moving the ball does not equal conservative play calling.  We took a lot of penalties and the giants had a pass rush all of a sudden.  

Yes! 1000 times yes! It seems this needs to be shouted from the rooftops. Also, they did not come out overconfident which is another silly narrative I am hearing. If they came out “overconfident” in the second half of this game then they must have been Uber over confident in the first half of the Jets game

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, skibum said:

Either you didn't see the game or you're a JA hack who falls back on this tedious narrative. He was in full command today and the vast majority of his passes were lasers that were spot on. Not every pass. The vast majority.

I think we forget JA has minimal starts under his belt and pretty raw coming out of college. He is going to have ups and down but the ups seem to be more than the downs as of late. He has all the tools, is smart and motivated. I hope he continues to get better.

28 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The way the OL is a work-in-progress and was disappointing in pass protection................

I am giving Allen an A today.

He missed a few throws, but they all do.

He is still meshing with NINE new starters around him.

I can't really complain too much about Allen, only the haters and people who are clueless about football are bashing Allen.

I like his progression. A few times he held the ball a little too long but overall pretty solid game. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

I agree with that mostly, but I would say the offense was playing comfortably and not taking risks. Then NY scored and that got them back into a sense of urgency, and they drove right down the field and scored again.