Josh Allen - week TWO report card

rayray808

WEEK ONE: B-

WEEK TWO: B

19/30 - 253 yards - TD - 21 yards rushing - rushing TD - 63% completion rate

A tale of two halves for me, and it could be play calling... but I think I liked what I saw today. His ability to assess the gambles better are beginning to show: throwing at guys feet when the screen isnʻt there vs throwing the ball out of bounds vs chucking the ball to someone open to complete the first down.

1st half: I loved that the Giants came down and scored right away. It allowed Josh to enter a game knowing that he needed to get momentum back, and that he did. He ended the half with 200+ yards passing and I was so excited to see them come out of the half and just deliver the knockout punch. Well...

2nd half: I blame the majority on play calling but jeez that was a let down. Still though, Allen did what needed to be done and made the throws necessary to seal the deal.

It wasn't sexy, or the "fantasy football" QB1 game for the ages, but he did better than last week... and most importantly got us 2 road wins to start the season.

FUN FACT OF THE WEEK: Josh Allen is now tied with Sam Darnold for wins at Metlife Stadium.

GO BILLS 

• Like (+1) 9

My grade is an A for the simple reason that we won and like last week he was instrumental in our victory. 

The offensive explosion in the late 1st/2nd quarter was all Allen.  The 98 yard drive was as beautiful as it was improbable.

Sure the 3rd quarter sucked and that was a combination of by design and some sloppy play by the offense.  But when the Bills needed Allen to come through he did  leading a masterful TD drive in the 4th to seal the win.

Looking only at his numbers he gets a B+ but taking into account his clutch play when we needed it most (98 yard TD drive and 4th quarter TD drive) and the fact that the Bills won he gets an A+.  So by averaging a B+ & A+ I get an A.  Now that's my kind of analytics! 

• Like (+1) 1

It's a solid B+.  Only conservative 3rd Q play calling held him back.  

Sidenote - I'm not that critical of the 3rd Q playcalling, I thought it was somewhat appropriate and probably signaled that this Offense is not made to play safe. I'll be surprised if the Bills again play like that with a lead. 

I thought Allen was in command the entire game. He made throws that two or three QBs could possibly make.  He made the right reads and not for one or two off throws and a handful of drops the Bills could have easily scored over 40.  Once the coaches give him more leash I think we will see how good he could be.  

I question whether it was play calling in the second half or O execution. I’d tend towards the latter. 

With that being said, I’d say Josh earned an ‘A’ having no turnovers, earning a ‘W’ and passing at 64%...well above his preconceived threshold. ON THE ROAD...for the second week. 

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

C+

Weak 2nd half.

Those giving him an A have to raise their expectations. 

My first expectation is that Allen leads us to a WIN.  That has happened two weeks in a row.  If he does that he's already flirting with an A.

My second expectation is that he's clutch.  Sure a QB can complete a couple of nice passes at the end of the half that take their team from the 15 yard line to midfield then the half is over.  Or on 3rd & 20 a QB can throw a beautiful 17 yard pass.  But that's not clutch, that's just numbers.  Clutch is taking his team on a 98 yard drive to break the game open.  Allen gets a lot of credit for making some terrific throws on a drive that I kept saying "let's at least get the ball out to the 30 so we can get a good punt off".  That TD drive was way more important then everything the O didn't do in a lethargic 3rd quarter.

Clutch was Allen leading the Bills on a long 4th quarter TD drive after the Giants had cut the lead to 7.  The key play was an amazing scramble & throw by Allen.  In fact Allen's play in both 4th quarters, on the road, has been outstanding and the very definition of clutch. 

• Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I really appreciated watching him give up on plays and throw it away or into the ground.

He didn’t make a single egregious decision that I saw. I still don’t like the diving head. first on runs but he slid feet first at least once so that shows progress. 

The amount of growth we are seeing from this KID is so heartening.

• Like (+1) 5

There were a couple of awesome throws in amongst a very professional performance, where whenever he played a bit of ‘hero ball’, he hit his target. The throw on the move to Knox, was as good as anything else we will see this weekend. ?

No less than an A- for me. He also was largely very sensible with the football 

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

C+

Weak 2nd half.

Those giving him an A have to raise their expectations. 

Ha!!  Funny thing is a lot of people will think you’re serious with that!  ?? 

• Haha (+1) 1