Cody Ford personal foul defending Allen

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, Big C said:

It looked like a clear penalty but I like Ford stepping up. Maybe a little more disciplined response next time but his heart is in the right place. Now if his play would rise to his heart, that would be even better!

We've seen early fire from Feliciano and now Ford having Josh's back. Good to see this band of brothers....

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Bufflow4 said:

Linemen have to be enforcers for their QB. Like in hockey, you have to make a guy pay for messing with your skill players. Barkley is a nice backup but Allen is our golden goose. The big uglies have to send a message that Allen is untouchable without some consequence. Have to try to protect your QB from the Kikos and Henry Andersons of the league. Love the comradery!

Yes, but...in the ethos where "Allen is untouchable", it would help if Allen would be perhaps a little smarter about how he runs.

Allen showed Lorenzo Carter up with a massive stiff-arm on a 1st and 10 scramble back in the 1st quarter.   Massive stiff arm.  Knocked him over.   It got Allen maybe an extra yard.

So yeah, if you're an "untouchable QB" who goes around jumping over LB and flattening them with stiff-arms, those same LBs are gonna be primed to try to get their own back when they can.

So Carter saw a chance to take a shot at Allen later on in the half, and he seized it and yeah, I see some extra stuff there - grabs the back of Allen's jersey, clubs him in the head with his arm.  I was happy to see one of the OLmen take him up on it. 

But Allen mentioned in his post-game presser about still needing to work on taking care of the football, and IMHO this was an instance of that.  Carter had a bead on Allen for a sack, and Allen stiff-armed him again, held him off, and threw the ball away.  Frankly, Allen is lucky that wasn't another strip sack and with a better defender, maybe it would have been.

That stiff-arm thing to hold off defenders when he's in the pocket is something Allen needs to "get over" and just possibly he needs to quit it and slide more when he's running, too.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, but...in the ethos where "Allen is untouchable", it would help if Allen would be perhaps a little smarter about how he runs.

Allen showed Lorenzo Carter up with a massive stiff-arm on a 1st and 10 scramble back in the 1st quarter.   Massive stiff arm.  Knocked him over.   It got Allen maybe an extra yard.

So yeah, if you're an "untouchable QB" who goes around jumping over LB and flattening them with stiff-arms, those same LBs are gonna be primed to try to get their own back when they can.

So Carter saw a chance to take a shot at Allen later on in the half, and he seized it and yeah, I see some extra stuff there - grabs the back of Allen's jersey, clubs him in the head with his arm.  I was happy to see one of the OLmen take him up on it. 

But Allen mentioned in his post-game presser about still needing to work on taking care of the football, and IMHO this was an instance of that.  Carter had a bead on Allen for a sack, and Allen stiff-armed him again, held him off, and threw the ball away.  Frankly, Allen is lucky that wasn't another strip sack and with a better defender, maybe it would have been.

That stiff-arm thing to hold off defenders when he's in the pocket is something Allen needs to "get over" and just possibly he needs to quit it and slide more when he's running, too.

Teams are going to hit him anyway

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Easy there Cupcake.  This is Josh Allen stuff and what makes him Josh Allen.  Most of us love this though we do cringe a little each time.  He's definitely not as brittle as many of his predecessors (looking at you Rob Johnson and Trent Edwards).  That same stiff-arm embarrased  Ngakoue (I think) on his TD run against the Jags last season.  I hold my breath too when he does that but this guy is the next generation of QB's.  These new kids are built different and this farm boy is pretty darn tough.

And as an another poster said already, if you don't get up in someone's face about this dirty crap early and right away, it's going to continue and get worse.  If it's not of much consequence on that drive, 15 yards is a price they all will pay to make sure their QB is respected and not tossed around by those idiots on the other side.  To say it's "never" permitted is not living in reality, friend.  Seriously.  Wake up already.  Cody Ford is showing he's worth more than just his line skills (which aren't the best but he's so young).  The team loves that, trust me. I'd do exactly the same in his situation.  I'd have pummeled Kiko's dirty behind last season.  I wouldn't even think twice about that (if I were a pro football player of course.  I'm not a little guy and I can hold my own but let's be honest.)  

Cody Ford really loves being a Buffalo Bill and I really like that.  We got him and Feliciano on the watch and you bet your rear JA loves that.  They're protecting their QB but they're also saying you better respect the Buffalo Bills. 

And it's not like he's getting those all game long or anything. 

Edited by Distorted One

9 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Want your QB's back? Block better. Move your feet during the play.  Do you really think shoving a guy after the whistle is going to make the defender any less likely to go after the QB? No. It's a dumb play and only hurts your team. It feels good in the moment, but so does heroin.  

The jump from a rookie defensive lineman scuffling with a defensive player in a one-off and drawing a flag in a winning outing to heroin usage seems extreme.  Meth, maybe. But let's not get crazy here. 

15 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I thought the flag was weak. Defender drags Allen down by the collar, clubbing him in the head in the process then flops when Ford gives him a little shove. Refs this game sucked. 

I think the 2nd half refs were waaaaaaaay overofficious!  1st half they kept it in their pockets.  Perhaps there was more brewing on the field and they wanted to nip it in the bud?

Just now, Kwai San said:

I think the 2nd half refs were waaaaaaaay overofficious!  1st half they kept it in their pockets.  Perhaps there was more brewing on the field and they wanted to nip it in the bud?

Definitely possible. It just seemed like they got real nitpicky as the game went on. They're all a buncha nerds that make the game difficult to enjoy at times haha. 

• Like (+1) 1

Lee Smith is one of our highly respected veterans who are here to teach and lead their younger teammates. Here, he comments (in The Athletic) on Ford's penalty:

“That’s why we drafted Cody Ford in the second round,” Smith said. “That’s why everybody in this locker room loves him. He’s a dog. He’s a bar-fight kind of guy.

These dudes are grown-ass men. They ain’t a bunch of sissy-ass linemen on this team. As a young player, he just needs to understand that there’s a line, but by all means, you defend your quarterback. Nobody messes with our quarterback.”

Summed up well. The whining over Ford's actions is silly.

• Like (+1) 1

They showed guys tapping Ford on the helmet/head as they walked by him at the bench so I guess the team liked it too.

I loved it but thought it should wash out as 1 penalty each way.

The crack back block 15yds  on Knox was BS but the refs made up for it on the FG attempt.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'll take that 15 yard penalty every time.

And if it keeps happening, the problem isnt the OLine getting penalties, the problem is it means the league is doing nothing as teams continue to cheap shot our young QB.

Every single time.  I actually celebrated that penalty.  This team feels different and part of that is toughness.  I wonder what Aaron Williams thought about that penalty?

15 hours ago, MJS said:

Ultimately the penalty was not even that costly. Would have been 4th down and punting regardless, so that's certainly a low risk time to show you have your QB's back.

Exactly this.  I get that there is never a great time to take a penalty but on 4th down when you are punting anyway?  The sack already happened, the series was ending, and oh by the way Bojo bombed a 63 yard punt to their 7.  It also sent a message to the Giants that ***** wouldn't be tolerated.  

15 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Im not overreacting to anything.  It's NEVER acceptable to have a stupid flagrant penalty...NEVER.  There is ZERO positives from that type of behavior.

Sent a clear "we aren't the same pushover Buffalo Bills" "Don't mess with our QB" and "hey refs if you don't handle it, we will" message.  It also rallies the team.  I'm not surprised about Josh's post game comments and I'm sure McD will have something to say about not taking the penalty in a wink wink nudge nudge kind of way.

13 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

AqBFket.jpg

Dont ***** with the Frack Gang and you wont get ***** with

Where did you find this?  This is amazing all around!!!  Look at Terry!  That's an awesome "yeah ***** ***** with me now we got a ***** squad" smile!!! :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Distorted One said:

Easy there Cupcake.  This is Josh Allen stuff and what makes him Josh Allen.  Most of us love this though we do cringe a little each time.  He's definitely not as brittle as many of his predecessors (looking at you Rob Johnson and Trent Edwards).  That same stiff-arm embarrased  Ngakoue (I think) on his TD run against the Jags last season.  I hold my breath too when he does that but this guy is the next generation of QB's.  These new kids are built different and this farm boy is pretty darn tough.

And as an another poster said already, if you don't get up in someone's face about this dirty crap early and right away, it's going to continue and get worse.  If it's not of much consequence on that drive, 15 yards is a price they all will pay to make sure their QB is respected and not tossed around by those idiots on the other side.  To say it's "never" permitted is not living in reality, friend.  Seriously.  Wake up already.  Cody Ford is showing he's worth more than just his line skills (which aren't the best but he's so young).  The team loves that, trust me. I'd do exactly the same in his situation.  I'd have pummeled Kiko's dirty behind last season.  I wouldn't even think twice about that (if I were a pro football player of course.  I'm not a little guy and I can hold my own but let's be honest.)  

Cody Ford really loves being a Buffalo Bill and I really like that.  We got him and Feliciano on the watch and you bet your rear JA loves that.  They're protecting their QB but they're also saying you better respect the Buffalo Bills. 

And it's not like he's getting those all game long or anything. 

While the Oline is doing pretty well in the run, I think they've got a ways to go in protecting Allen on pass plays, especially on the edges.  They want to protect their QB, let's start there.

The defender did enough unnecessary s**t on that play. It’s football, you are supposed to get thumped if you earn it like that player did. Anyone who’s played on a good team has seen his brother back him up like that. Say what you want but even the opponent respects that. Just don’t do that in the post season at the wrong time in a tight game Cody!

You don’t just earn respect in football, you force them to respect you. You impose your will and you impose respect.

Edited by SJDK
Add on