64.1% = Josh Allen's completion percentage through 3 games

22 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Well maybe if Allen audibled into a draw on 4th and 9 he too could be rated 12th.

Also Jacoby Brissett really?

Brissett has actually been really solid 

I disagree with Carr, Murray, and mayfield being over Allen though..... and Goff, if we are strictly talking this year, is debatable 

On 9/23/2019 at 5:04 PM, mrags said:

I can’t believe you are arguing about this. Even that damn commentators said he barely got away with the ball not being intercepted. 

I’d post pics to show you since you are failing to show the proof or notice it yourself. But this stupid sight won’t allow me to link photos larger than your inability to understand football. If you watch the replay from the QBs view again, you’ll see Knox running away from the defender and with a clear pathway to the 40 yard line or so with nobody to stop him in that side of the field. 

Youll also see at about the same time that Beasley secures the ball, he is fighting off hands in his gut from the defender coming from the middle of the field. You do realize that the amount he missed the ball was fractions of a second, and in the NFL, fractions of a second could mean him jumping in front of the ball and taking it to the house. 

As it is, Allen was being hit when he threw it and didn’t have as much velocity on it. If he has just a tiny little bit more loft in the pass we’re talking about 6 the other way. 

Keep up up the good work. 

Site limits are tough and I had to shrink that screen shot a lot to get.

Still confused how you’re arguing it was almost picked off when the defender clearly didn’t put a hand up to defend the pass even. Of course the defense is gonna be trying to pull the ball out. Doesn’t mean they were threatening a pick. You’re relying on the announcers for your argument?  Sheesh.

I watched Knox’s route several times. Agree Knox came open on the play by there wasn’t enough time for Allen. When he’s getting hit Knox hasn’t cleared the first level of defense. I really don’t see this as a risky play.

Also if you think he barely got it to Beasley why do you think a ball that has to travel farther to Knox wouldn’t get picked? 

Overall this was a very similar game to the rest of 2019. Allen has some plays he wants back but more good. Are you watching the cover 1 film breakdown?  Feel like you are nitpicking a good play. 

42 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Site limits are tough and I had to shrink that screen shot a lot to get.

Still confused how you’re arguing it was almost picked off when the defender clearly didn’t put a hand up to defend the pass even. Of course the defense is gonna be trying to pull the ball out. Doesn’t mean they were threatening a pick. You’re relying on the announcers for your argument?  Sheesh.

I watched Knox’s route several times. Agree Knox came open on the play by there wasn’t enough time for Allen. When he’s getting hit Knox hasn’t cleared the first level of defense. I really don’t see this as a risky play.

Also if you think he barely got it to Beasley why do you think a ball that has to travel farther to Knox wouldn’t get picked? 

Overall this was a very similar game to the rest of 2019. Allen has some plays he wants back but more good. Are you watching the cover 1 film breakdown?  Feel like you are nitpicking a good play. 

Yeah, I’m pretty much done talking to you about this. I think you are clueless and I really have nothing more to say to you. Enjoy your night 

6 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yeah, I’m pretty much done talking to you about this. I think you are clueless and I really have nothing more to say to you. Enjoy your night 

I’ve watched that throw a couple times.... good qb’s make a freaking living making that quick tight window throw.... your argument kinda sucks on that one. 

But I’m probably clueless too. So whatever. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

I’ve watched that throw a couple times.... good qb’s make a freaking living making that quick tight window throw.... your argument kinda sucks on that one. 

But I’m probably clueless too. So whatever. 

Yeah you are. Many QBs make a living in finding the open guy down the field for a big gain vs a high risk throw with low reward. 

But just like the other guy, I think your clueless and have nothing more to say to you. Enjoy your night. 

On 9/23/2019 at 5:04 PM, mrags said:

I can’t believe you are arguing about this. Even that damn commentators said he barely got away with the ball not being intercepted. 

I’d post pics to show you since you are failing to show the proof or notice it yourself. But this stupid sight won’t allow me to link photos larger than your inability to understand football. If you watch the replay from the QBs view again, you’ll see Knox running away from the defender and with a clear pathway to the 40 yard line or so with nobody to stop him in that side of the field. 

Youll also see at about the same time that Beasley secures the ball, he is fighting off hands in his gut from the defender coming from the middle of the field. You do realize that the amount he missed the ball was fractions of a second, and in the NFL, fractions of a second could mean him jumping in front of the ball and taking it to the house. 

As it is, Allen was being hit when he threw it and didn’t have as much velocity on it. If he has just a tiny little bit more loft in the pass we’re talking about 6 the other way. 

Keep up up the good work. 

The commentators made that statement as the live play concluded. The replay, particularly from behind Allen shows that ball was nowhere close to being intercepted. I posted the video upthread. Here it is again:

Watch the clip again. At the 22 second mark that ball is cleanly in Beasley's hands before the defender gets there. It is a real stretch to say that ball was nearly intercepted.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

The commentators made that statement as the live play concluded. The replay, particularly from behind Allen shows that ball was nowhere close to being intercepted. I posted the video upthread. Here it is again:

Watch the clip again. At the 22 second mark that ball is cleanly in Beasley's hands before the defender gets there. It is a real stretch to say that ball was nearly intercepted.

I never said the ball was nearly intercepted. I said it was a very high risk for low reward play that the defender... IF... he jumped the route, could have intercepted it and ran it back for 6. It’s really that simple. 

But the same same people that want to argue with me on this want to argue that Knox hadn’t made his cut yet and wasn’t yet open. As if that actually matters. Quarterbacks throw to a spot all the time before a receiver makes their cut or is even looking for the ball. And if Allen throws it deep to Knox in a space where he SHOULD know where Knox will be, then it’s a huge gain. Not a small gain for 4 yards. 

Ironically, the same people that argue that since Allen barely got it into a tight window, how would he be able to get it deep to Knox, should know that a loftier pass over the top of Knox’s head would be an easier throw than the same one they argue for being such a good throw because it had such velocity on It. Oddly, if it there was such a worry that he barely was able to get the ball to Beasley, there should have been a worry that it could have been intercepted had the defender made a play on the ball. 

I really am done talking about this at this point. If people can’t see that it was a risky play for low reward, I really don’t feel like explaining my position anymore. 

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Brissett has actually been really solid 

I disagree with Carr, Murray, and mayfield being over Allen though..... and Goff, if we are strictly talking this year, is debatable 

If Allen threw for more scores, he’d be higher...I hope that is the next thing they work with him on- being more aggressive with scoring.

Edited by JaCrispy

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

If Allen threw for more scores, he’d be higher...I hope that is the next thing they work with him on- being more aggressive with scoring.

I’d like to see a bit more scoring quick strike ability as well but I will say the balance between run and pass is probably a good thing for our young qb at the moment. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I’d like to see a bit more scoring quick strike ability as well but I will say the balance between run and pass is probably a good thing for our young qb at the moment. 

Agreed. His processing seems to be speeding up. I honestly think he’s pretty smart as well as having a cannon, legs, and leadership.  He got a 37 which was the highest in his class on the wonderlic. The josh Allen or josh Allen segment with Simms also showed some quick thinking.  Can’t wait to see him progress this year.  

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/15/2019 at 3:44 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

at 7.3 YPA after being told for months that Allen is what he is: a sub 60% passer.

Well, we're only 3 games in, but he's been pretty consistently in that upper side of 60% range.

We as Bills fans are probably catching on that Allen can be an accurate QB.

I wonder how long it takes everyone else to see it...

He has a 75% completion rate to his #1 and #2 WRs.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

It feels like they’re slowly evolving the offense around him and building towards the big stuff. I imagine it would be easy for him to revert back to his hero ball ways and abandon the precision passing and ball movement they’ve featured. I expect It to open up sooner than later. 

2 hours ago, mrags said:

I never said the ball was nearly intercepted. I said it was a very high risk for low reward play that the defender... IF... he jumped the route, could have intercepted it and ran it back for 6. It’s really that simple. 

But the same same people that want to argue with me on this want to argue that Knox hadn’t made his cut yet and wasn’t yet open. As if that actually matters. Quarterbacks throw to a spot all the time before a receiver makes their cut or is even looking for the ball. And if Allen throws it deep to Knox in a space where he SHOULD know where Knox will be, then it’s a huge gain. Not a small gain for 4 yards. 

Ironically, the same people that argue that since Allen barely got it into a tight window, how would he be able to get it deep to Knox, should know that a loftier pass over the top of Knox’s head would be an easier throw than the same one they argue for being such a good throw because it had such velocity on It. Oddly, if it there was such a worry that he barely was able to get the ball to Beasley, there should have been a worry that it could have been intercepted had the defender made a play on the ball. 

I really am done talking about this at this point. If people can’t see that it was a risky play for low reward, I really don’t feel like explaining my position anymore. 

large.BEEB6966-4758-4711-B985-BBDEA855BEA8.gif.b7b17c1457c39bc2c1557234033bdb56.gif

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm all about the YPA uptick. I don't expect him to maintain the completion percentage, but it matters a whole lot less if the YPA trend continues.

I could see him maintaining it. 64.1% would have ranked him 24th in the NFL last season. In the 90's it may have lead the league but now that is only good enough for the bottom third of starting QB's. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/23/2019 at 5:19 PM, BigBuff423 said:

I also think it’s something as simple as you get better at what you practice. We all know the focus was on short and intermediate throws b/c deep ball game is rare in the NFL. With that, I’m sure he’s a bit out of practice because he’s not doing it much. Furthermore he got better with the long balls as the season went on last year, because he kept throwing it - I’ll take what he’s done so far and when he connects on the long ball and he will eventually, it will open things up even more.

I will also say - Bills need to use the running game more. When they do, it’s proven successful. They just need to use it earlier and more often. 

Yup.  Run the ball and keep Brady on the sidelines.  That usually wins the game for the opponent.

6 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm all about the YPA uptick. I don't expect him to maintain the completion percentage, but it matters a whole lot less if the YPA trend continues.

Why don't you expect him to maintain the completion percentage?

Just curious.

3 hours ago, Rbleyle said:

He has a 75% completion rate to his #1 and #2 WRs.  

Pretty incredible point right here.

16 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Why don't you expect him to maintain the completion percentage?

I think as the season progresses, he's gonna take deep shots. We haven't seen a ton as they've really worked the underneath/intermediate routes.

My main takeaway is that I don't really care if the completion percentage dips down to 59/60 if the YPA remains the same. He's always going to be a guy who takes chances, so I think you'd be fine with more big plays/slightly lower percentage. That's where the YPA metric would continue on an upward trajectory even if the percentage dips. That would be fine.

It would become a problem if the percentage dips AND the YPA takes a hit.