64.1% = Josh Allen's completion percentage through 3 games

3 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

He needs to stop rolling to the right and throwing that sideline gamble pass as his go to in pressure situations a lot, because defenses will continue to key in on that... especially Belichick.

Correct.  When the end is their, either hit the guy if open or throw it away.  The 10 yard waiting game killed him.

2 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

Good point. He overthrew Zay (I think) and he was wide open near the goal line. There were other long passes that were off target as well, but that one really stung. 

His short passes, timing passes, and touch passes are far better this year. 

That wasnt a typical deep throw...he was on the run climbing the pocket and kind of launched it...

Edited by matter2003

Can't compare Kelly's completion percentages to stats from today. The average percentage is much, much higher today for many reasons. If Kelly came out of college in 2013 instead of 1983, he'd easily add 10% to his completion %.

Allen's completion percentage this year is close to the NFL average, I believe. Which is a huge improvement from last place.

Edited by HalftimeAdjustment

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He's been steady at 64% this year with 4 more drops today.  Jim never sniffed 60% unti his 4th year. Everyone just relax and enjoy the ride.

It was a different era back then...for comparison Dak Prescott is at a robust 74.5% through 3 games

His accuracy was very good today when he had time except on the deep ball. He missed badly on those again. I'll take it, though. I'm happy he's hitting the underneath stuff finally. He still needs to eliminate mental mistakes, but he is making progress there. He really needs to start carrying a football around everywhere he goes.

5 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Exactly. I try not to be too critical of Allen. I didn't like him when we drafted him and changed my mind after seeing what he was capable of. 

Today I even said in the game thread, that's an awful mistake when he decided to throw into coverage for the pick.  Still support him though. 

I'm not going to pretend like I haven't defended him against the jets because I thought they were fluke plays. That pass today was bad and all on Allen. 

Others just want to say he sucks and that's the truth because they believe it.  Hell, even Thad brown (and Schopp to an extent) have changed their tune on Allen. 

The pick today was bad. However, I will give him a little benefit because the OL today was terrible In pass pro. 

Im not saying it’s an excuse for the pick. It’s not. I feel like he should have seen what was going to happen. I feel like he knew he should have thrown it away. He was trying to make a play in a time of need. It’s one thing I absolutely love about Allen. Regardless of QB play, Accuracy, etc. more than anything... he is just a GAMER. He always wants to make something happen. He will always have that gunslinger attitude. He will always have the heart and determination to not fail and lead his team to victory. That’s great and exactly everything I want about 99% of the time. And then he throws a bad pick like today and I want to kick him in the nuts for it. Honestly, he hasn’t had a really bad boneheaded play like that since the 2nd quarter of the Jets game. I believe he is learning from it and limiting it. I just don’t want him to play too safe and not take chances. We still haven’t really seen him chuck it deep yet this season. I’d like to witness that at some point. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm more interested in the improvement.

Allen last year: QB rating of 67.9

This year (includes today's game): 81.1 so far.

No, QB rating isn't perfect. Far from it. But you won't find any QBs we consider to be "elite" these days with ratings under 100. There's still plenty of room for improvement, but the trend is very promising.

I realize its a small sample size,  but his 4th quarter qbr through 3 games is 125. Is this just an anomaly, or does it tell us something about JA?

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GreggTX said:

His accuracy was very good today when he had time except on the deep ball. He missed badly on those again. I'll take it, though. I'm happy he's hitting the underneath stuff finally. He still needs to eliminate mental mistakes, but he is making progress there. He really needs to start carrying a football around everywhere he goes.

I don't know. The one to Jones, as has been mentioned, as one where he couldn't throw when he wanted because he was moving, so he had to deliver it late. That would have been hard to complete. The bomb to Foster was right on target in stride and the safety made a nice leaping play to get his hands on it. 

The deep balls are coming but they will be fewer than last year because we lack bigger "fight for the ball" receivers. Delivering a pinpoint throw to a smurf 50 yards away is hard. 

Edited by John Adams
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Doc said:

He's far more inaccurate on deep throws this year, which is odd.

I think it seems that way because we have taken downfield shots only 1-2 times in the game and they have been failures.

I think the deep throws will come later in the season once he has more coordination with Brown and Foster.  

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

I think it seems that way because we have taken downfield shots only 1-2 times in the game and they have been failures.

I think the deep throws will come later in the season once he has more coordination with Brown and Foster.  

I also think it’s something as simple as you get better at what you practice. We all know the focus was on short and intermediate throws b/c deep ball game is rare in the NFL. With that, I’m sure he’s a bit out of practice because he’s not doing it much. Furthermore he got better with the long balls as the season went on last year, because he kept throwing it - I’ll take what he’s done so far and when he connects on the long ball and he will eventually, it will open things up even more.

I will also say - Bills need to use the running game more. When they do, it’s proven successful. They just need to use it earlier and more often. 

Yesterday, the clock seemed off in Josh's head.  Maybe Cinci had him fooled on several plays, but he can't be running backwards like that.  Last season, he would take off too early, but it was effective.  He had huge chunk runs off those scrambles.  This year he's hanging in the pocket as long as possible.  It's helped his completion %, but eventually he's succumbing to the pressure.  His big arm won't bail him out every time.

• Like (+1) 2

I am not a fan of us running Josh like a RB like we did against the Bengals...

Josh is greatly improved on the intermediate and short stuff, but now the long ball is off. He is leaving points on the field. Hopefully he is ready to polish this portion of his game up.

His decision making against the Bengals was off some. It appeared he was having some issues dissecting the Bengals D, but his ability to persevere and be strong down the stretch is a strength that I will take over long ball accuracy.... for now

10 hours ago, mrags said:

The pick today was bad. However, I will give him a little benefit because the OL today was terrible In pass pro. 

Im not saying it’s an excuse for the pick. It’s not. I feel like he should have seen what was going to happen. I feel like he knew he should have thrown it away. He was trying to make a play in a time of need. It’s one thing I absolutely love about Allen. Regardless of QB play, Accuracy, etc. more than anything... he is just a GAMER. He always wants to make something happen. He will always have that gunslinger attitude. He will always have the heart and determination to not fail and lead his team to victory. That’s great and exactly everything I want about 99% of the time. And then he throws a bad pick like today and I want to kick him in the nuts for it. Honestly, he hasn’t had a really bad boneheaded play like that since the 2nd quarter of the Jets game. I believe he is learning from it and limiting it. I just don’t want him to play too safe and not take chances. We still haven’t really seen him chuck it deep yet this season. I’d like to witness that at some point. 

He really is all of this and exactly the kind of QB I have wanted. That really was a bad interception today; however, it is something that is just going to happen from time to time because of the way he plays. I don't like plays like the interception anymore than anyone else; however, if you go through the games, you will find 3-4 plays every game where he is extending plays and making throws downfield or over the middle while on the run, off balance, with a defender all over him, etc. People are fine when he completes those "ill advised" throws.

Here he makes a throw on the run, off balance, 25 yards downfield, over one defender and in front of another to Brown:

Here he stands in the pocket, with a blitzer coming, waits for Beasley, and throws, as he is getting hit, across his body:

Either of these plays could have turned out badly and people would have called them "bad throws," "mental mistakes," etc. I see a tough, fierce competitor, who, while learning to make the safer decision when he should, is still always looking for the bigger play - and understands he has the talent to make those plays. Most of the time..

I don't want him to ever lose that, although I do want him to continue to get better at knowing when not to pull that trigger.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

He really is all of this and exactly the kind of QB I have wanted. That really was a bad interception today; however, it is something that is just going to happen from time to time because of the way he plays. I don't like plays like the interception anymore than anyone else; however, if you go through the games, you will find 3-4 plays every game where he is extending plays and making throws downfield or over the middle while on the run, off balance, with a defender all over him, etc. People are fine when he completes those "ill advised" throws.

Here he makes a throw on the run, off balance, 25 yards downfield, over one defender and in front of another to Brown:

Here he stands in the pocket, with a blitzer coming, waits for Beasley, and throws, as he is getting hit, across his body:

Either of these plays could have turned out badly and people would have called them "bad throws," "mental mistakes," etc. I see a tough, fierce competitor, who, while learning to make the safer decision when he should, is still always looking for the bigger play - and understands he has the talent to make those plays. Most of the time..

I don't want him to ever lose that, although I do want him to continue to get better at knowing when not to.

Hey like the plays he makes with his feet and the 2nd one you showed of him standing in there and getting crushed as he got rid of the ball. But that 2nd one was not a smart play. If the defender gets there a tiny bit earlier, it’s a pick 6. And.... he had Dawson Knox wide open on that play. Probably for a very long game or a TD. 

26 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I am not a fan of us running Josh like a RB like we did against the Bengals...

Josh is greatly improved on the intermediate and short stuff, but now the long ball is off. He is leaving points on the field. Hopefully he is ready to polish this portion of his game up.

His decision making against the Bengals was off some. It appeared he was having some issues dissecting the Bengals D, but his ability to persevere and be strong down the stretch is a strength that I will take over long ball accuracy.... for now

I heard a great quote from a caller this morning on WGR...

"What I liked about the game was that Josh looked like Brett Favre. What I didn't like about the game was that Josh looked like Brett Favre."

Pretty much summed up what I was thinking, but couldn't put in to words. It just comes down to, are you okay with 2 boneheaded plays a game, if he leads the team back down the field for the win and makes just as many, if not more, spectacular plays that make you go, "how in the hell did he do that?"

Because his willingness to be aggressive is what allows those spectacular plays, but also gets him in trouble.

• Like (+1) 3