64.1% = Josh Allen's completion percentage through 3 games

36 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I don't know about this.  

Foster missed a block I saw highlighted on offense a week ago I think, but he does play on Special teams.  Plus...

https://theathletic.com/1219528/2019/09/17/bills-all-22-review-how-the-week-2-film-shows-josh-allen-set-his-new-gold-standard-and-grades-for-each-player/

5) Fear not, the deep shot to Foster is on the way

In 2018, wide receiver Robert Foster became a late-season gem after he turned everything around with the help of his teammates. Before training camp, some of those high expectations were still in place. Now, Foster has settled into his role as the fourth wide receiver and has zero receptions with only two targets to his name thus far. While the passing volume of last season won’t be there for Foster unless there’s an injury, a splash play is likely on the way.

After reviewing the coaches’ film, the Bills and Allen had three designed deep shots dialed up for Foster, but none came to fruition. In the following video, you’ll see three separate plays that show Foster as Allen’s target upon winning his deep route against the defender. On the first, Allen was looking Foster’s way initially, but the Giants flushed him from the pocket. On the second play, Allen reared back to lead Foster to the end zone, but the Giants deflected the ball during his throwing motion. On the third example, Foster won his route and Allen ignored the open receiver over the middle of the field to attempt to buy time. He wanted to let the route develop and step into the throw, as the end zone angle shows — only to get sacked.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/09/17213005/0917-Robert-Foster.m4v?_=3

That link is to the video, which actually shows the 3 plays designed to Foster.  The link might not work, though.  It's a subscription story.  And he's open on all 3 plays.  They just didn't work for the reasons highlighted above.

Saw that, but Foster was still only in on a fraction of the total snaps compared to Jones - especially on offense.

He also seemed to run primarily deep routes only as opposed to Zay that has run routes from multiple WR spots at multiple depths.

I don’t think they I’ll get rid of either as both are still young, but based upon percentage of offensive plays and what they have each player doing - Zay is a bigger part of the offense and still well ahead of Foster at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

I am interested in knowing how people here might assess the importance of his off season tutoring with Jordan Palmer and what impact that might have had on his development - because to me it looks like he has significantly improved all aspects of his game relative to last season. Obviously the improved OL, WR and TE units factor into his improvement as well.

Edited by SydneyBillsFan

So The Athletic has an article up bringing up some significant stats. Subscribe to see everything, but remember how last year some of us argued one of the factors of Allen's low completion percentage was that he threw the ball farther down the field on average by almost a full yard more than any other QB?

Well now he's right around the middle of the pack at 12, right behind Big Ben and just ahead of Dak.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

So The Athletic has an article up bringing up some significant stats. Subscribe to see everything, but remember how last year some of us argued one of the factors of Allen's low completion percentage was that he threw the ball farther down the field on average by almost a full yard more than any other QB?

Well now he's right around the middle of the pack at 12, right behind Big Ben and just ahead of Dak.

I would wager he is getting rid of the ball quicker too.  Having a pocket to step into helps,  but I think both our free agent WRs have a lot to do with it. He still scrambles out of the pocket but it's not a friggin' jailbreak every single time he drops back anymore.

7 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

If Josh Allen has another solid performance, I MIGHT be convinced he’s “the one”...

I said MIGHT! ?

I guess the bar now is  he must have at least 70% completion !!!

Allen has been helped by the abilities of John Brown and Beasley.  They are pulling in catches that are a tad difficult for others.  That is adjustment in the NFL.

Every teams WR/TE/RB bail out their QBs with their athleticism 

Having receivers that catch the ball helps a bit in this equation,  not to mention an O line that actually exists. Allen is raw but not to the degree some have  insinuated. This next game will be a test for the team as a whole.

I saw a daily fantasy talking head praising Allen's completion percentage earlier today so there's some awareness out there. There's truly a ton of Allen hype out there right now and I find it somewhat terrifying. Awesome but terrifying, maybe I just don't know what I'm experiencing. Is it confidence? Weird.

15 hours ago, Rockinon said:

I would wager he is getting rid of the ball quicker too.  Having a pocket to step into helps,  but I think both our free agent WRs have a lot to do with it. He still scrambles out of the pocket but it's not a friggin' jailbreak every single time he drops back anymore.

He is. 3.22 seconds was his average time to throw last year. 2.83 so far this season. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Can’t wait until after the game today and Allen’s updated completion % gets a whole new thread from the guy who previously said it was a stat that didn’t mean *****.

Yes.  He started it to critique those like you who made it a big deal the entire off season.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Yes.  He started it to critique those like you who made it a big deal the entire off season.

I did? News to me old man. Doesn’t matter to me if he throws for 55% or 65% or 85%. OP is talking out both ends with these threads.

9 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

I did? News to me old man. Doesn’t matter to me if he throws for 55% or 65% or 85%. OP is talking out both ends with these threads.

The point is you can’t cherry pick stats and look credible. Josh Allen is improving, quite a bit actually. But being familiar with his fan club here you should know that any negative stats associated with the kid (the horrid comp%, the ttr, and all the missed reads, etc from the first season) are ignored or explained away.

Your words, not mine.  Note you mention his “horrid comp%”.  

11 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The point is you can’t cherry pick stats and look credible. Josh Allen is improving, quite a bit actually. But being familiar with his fan club here you should know that any negative stats associated with the kid (the horrid comp%, the ttr, and all the missed reads, etc from the first season) are ignored or explained away.

Your words, not mine.  Note you mention his “horrid comp%”.  

Hell yes my words. It was bad last year by any historical measure. Still doesn’t really matter to me as long as he keeps winning. Point is that particular stat was explained away last year (bad OL, ZAY DROPPED EVERYTHING, etc) and yet now when the comp% is respectable we get threads on it, basically as an “i told you so” when u really are just moving goalposts.

9 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Hell yes my words. It was bad last year by any historical measure. Still doesn’t really matter to me as long as he keeps winning. Point is that particular stat was explained away last year (bad OL, ZAY DROPPED EVERYTHING, etc) and yet now when the comp% is respectable we get threads on it, basically as an “i told you so” when u really are just moving goalposts.

Yep.  He put it out there to, again, critique guys like you that harp on the percentage as well as anything else that could potentially justify negativity.  You don’t like having your own words used against you.

4 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Can’t wait until after the game today and Allen’s updated completion % gets a whole new thread from the guy who previously said it was a stat that didn’t mean *****.

No one said it didn't mean *****.  They said that there were reasons why his completion percentage was so low beyond just "he's inaccurate."  And we're finally seeing that that was true.

5 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

No one has said completely percentage doesn't matter. What was said was that his completion percentage last year was not indicative of his accuracy, and that with a better team around him plus development it would improve. So far that has proven to be correct. IMO his accuracy is right where it was last year. He'll never be known for his precise ball placement but it's good enough with his other traits. The biggest thing he needed to improve was his decision making, and I said last year that that alone would improve his completion percentage. Now he has Brown and Beasley and a year in the NFL and all of a sudden he is completing 11% more of his passes.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

No one has said completely percentage doesn't matter. What was said was that his completion percentage last year was not indicative of his accuracy, and that with a better team around him plus development it would improve. So far that has proven to be correct. IMO his accuracy is right where it was last year. He'll never be known for his precise ball placement but it's good enough with his other traits. The biggest thing he needed to improve was his decision making, and I said last year that that alone would improve his completion percentage. Now he has Brown and Beasley and a year in the NFL and all of a sudden he is completing 11% more of his passes.

I think his short-passing accuracy has improved immensely.

• Like (+1) 3