64.1% = Josh Allen's completion percentage through 3 games

45 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I still say it was a tough catch.

A1901903-68-AC-4-D03-ACA3-DF83-F007007-E

B11-E3-C6-D-852-F-4872-8095-99-CBB2-F72-

I mean it's not a catch I could come up with, but I think it's one an NFL WR should make 8 or 9 times out of 10.

Zay has had more egregious drops in his career though.

Still don't know why the broadcast didn't replay that.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/16/2019 at 5:58 AM, JoPoy88 said:

Holy hell way to generalize. Unbelievable. Some people think it’s an indicator or accuracy, and you fought them tooth and nail. Now it’s all good? Like MDH said, you can’t have it both ways. And allen doesn’t need someone toting his jock 24/7. 

He overthrew brown by 6 yards when he had 6 yards of separation on the nearest defender. Sorry, 6 points

On a drive that still ended with a TD?

56 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He had more separation than it looked like during the game - still a very tough catch because the ball is going away from him.

Would of been a heck of a play all around.  

• Like (+1) 1

Decided to peruse through "Captain All in for Rosen" Jeremy White's Twitter.  

He's tweeted more about Rasmus Dahlin and Jared Goff in the last 48 hours then he has about Allen.

I see one tweet about Allen and it's a retweet of the "I am in New York" post game comments.  Went to Mike Schopp's......exact same.  Only Allen tweet was that. 

Oh....they both retweeted a tweet of 2 Mahomes plays.  

Sad!

People keep talking about the passes WR's dropped, but they shouldn't leave out the amount of passes DB's dropped as well (including in the Jets game).

Allen could have had at least 2 more INT's this season, and likely more. Between tipped balls and outright freebies that were dropped, we've gotten lucky so far.

Hoping that continues, but can't rely on that against actual good teams we face. 

The thing Josh needs to improve upon the most is ball placement, not just getting the completion. There have been times a WR has been WIDE the hell open and got no YAC because of how they had to make a miracle grab to even catch the ball. This isn't just on deep passes either, though his deep ball accuracy needs work too (missed a wide open man last week for an easy TD). 

Brown seems to be able to find separation often, and hitting him in stride will allow us to pick up much bigger chunks of yardage. Part of the problem might just be his size though. What might seem like a normal pass to him ends up requiring a huge leap and full arm extensions for our WR's to even have a chance of catching the ball. I'm sure there's some way to help improve in that area, but some of it isn't really his fault.

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I would say the catch is not easy but it is a catch that good receivers make most of the time.  If Zay didn't have butter fingers, I don't think dropping one would be a big deal but he drops a lot.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/15/2019 at 4:05 PM, GunnerBill said:

That and missing Brown wide open for the TD early. They were the only two I thought were on Josh. 

I wound it back. Looked like Josh's primary reads were not there, Zay just kept working to try and get open and Josh didn't quite get his mechanics right trying to fit it into an extremely tight window. 

Well the All 22 is up, did you see it?  This play did not go the way you thought above.  Zay ran his route and one of only 2 routes on the play.  Was no extra working to get open, it was his route and Allen read him all the way and dropped back and fired.  

I will say that it was not an easy gimme catch since it was a diving catch.  But it still hit him right in the hands and was catchable.  

The guy just doesn’t make plays, and at this level in the NFL you expect a guy to make that catch most the time when it hits him in the hands.  And especially late in a one score game, you want your guy to make that play.  

Wasn’t as bad as his drop in preseason, but still another moment Zay had a chance to make a play and came up short.  And so far, there are just too many of these moments and not enough impactful moments.  

Bit of friendly advise:

Let yourself be happy. 

I understand and that being happy and hopeful and optimistic can lend to feeling emotionally vulnerable. Nobody wants to be hurt, but you can make the decision to let the positivity in. 

But cmon y’all - it isn’t healthy to go out and win two road games in the NFL with your quarterback balling out and opening the eyes of the world and agonize about the extra interception he COULD have thrown. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

How much of that is Josh getting better and how much is having competent WRs? Lat year the Bills were 3rd for most drops. I would think the absence of KB is good for at least 5% lol

41 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I would say the catch is not easy but it is a catch that good receivers make most of the time.  If Zay didn't have butter fingers, I don't think dropping one would be a big deal but he drops a lot.

Zay makes routine catches look hard because he always leaves his feet and is either leaping or diving to trap the ball. I think he just does not trust his hands and that's a problem with a qb who is going to throw passes on a rope in front of his receiver and away from the defender trailing him.

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well the All 22 is up, did you see it?  This play did not go the way you thought above.  Zay ran his route and one of only 2 routes on the play.  Was no extra working to get open, it was his route and Allen read him all the way and dropped back and fired.  

Just looked - I think Zay was the primary read. But I still think it isn't a drop. That is a really difficult catch to make and as I said before Josh doesn't quite set himself. It is a really tight window the window between throwing it where the defender can't undercut and where it is properly catchable by Zay. It doesn't hit Zay in the hands more like Zay manages to get a hand to it. I don't blame Josh for the throw but I don't blame Zay for a drop either. It just wasn't quite there. 

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I don't agree. That is a catch even the top receivers in the league strike about .250 on. 

I get why people don't want to give Zay the benefit of the doubt. I have criticised him as much as anyone - but people are seeing that play through the prism of Zay's career. He has dropped too many balls he should definitely catch. That was not one of them.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I mean it's not a catch I could come up with, but I think it's one an NFL WR should make 8 or 9 times out of 10.

Zay has had more egregious drops in his career though.

Still don't know why the broadcast didn't replay that.

I am sorry no NFL receiver makes that 8 or 9 times out of 10. In fact I saw a very similar play (not in the endzone) in the Texans - Saints MNF and Hopkins didn't manage to come up with it and he is the best in the business. 

It is fine to criticize Zay for balls he should have. That was not one of them.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Just looked - I think Zay was the primary read. But I still think it isn't a drop. That is a really difficult catch to make and as I said before Josh doesn't quite set himself. It is a really tight window the window between throwing it where the defender can't undercut and where it is properly catchable by Zay. It doesn't hit Zay in the hands more like Zay manages to get a hand to it. I don't blame Josh for the throw but I don't blame Zay for a drop either. It just wasn't quite there. 

All good, and I agree it wasn’t an “easy” catch.  But I disagree on it not hitting him in the hands as it looked like it hit him in both hands to me, but that’s really just splitting hairs.  

While I give it to him that it wasn’t a routine catch, it still was catchable and an important down in the game.  I just want WRs on this team who make that catch more than they don’t.  And Zay is more of a guy who routinely won’t make that catch.  

For example, I think both Cole and Brown more often than not make that catch.  Cole has already made catches like that and Brown may not have had to even dive for it with his speed.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

All good, and I agree it wasn’t an “easy” catch.  But I disagree on it not hitting him in the hands as it looked like it hit him in both hands to me, but that’s really just splitting hairs.  

While I give it to him that it wasn’t a routine catch, it still was catchable and an important down in the game.  I just want WRs on this team who make that catch more than they don’t.  And Zay is more of a guy who routinely won’t make that catch.  

For example, I think both Cole and Brown more often than not make that catch.  Cole has already made catches like that and Brown may not have had to even dive for it with his speed.  

I don't think either of them makes that catch. As I said above I saw DeAndre Hopkins not come up with an almost identical one last week. What makes them so difficult is that as a receiver you get no chance to slow yourself down before the dive and hence you have minimal body control. I honestly think that is a catch even the best make 1 in 4. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I don't think either of them makes that catch. As I said above I saw DeAndre Hopkins not come up with an almost identical one last week. What makes them so difficult is that as a receiver you get no chance to slow yourself down before the dive and hence you have minimal body control. I honestly think that is a catch even the best make 1 in 4. 

I also saw Cole make a harder catch than that from Allen.  All good bud, I just don’t see that catch quite as difficult as you do.  All WRs don’t make every play, but I bet if you threw that play 10 times in a row to Hopkins he makes it more than he drops it.

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I also saw Cole make a harder catch than that from Allen.  All good bud, I just don’t see that catch quite as difficult as you do.  All WRs don’t make every play, but I bet if you threw that play 10 times in a row to Hopkins he makes it more than he drops it.

I agree with you completely on all things Zay, but I think it's ridiculous to compare anyone to Hopkins who is just a freak. It's not fair to anyone to say, oh, deandre Hopkins makes that catch. It's like saying a DT isn't good on a pass rush because Aaron Donald makes that play. 

9 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I agree with you completely on all things Zay, but I think it's ridiculous to compare anyone to Hopkins who is just a freak. It's not fair to anyone to say, oh, deandre Hopkins makes that catch. It's like saying a DT isn't good on a pass rush because Aaron Donald makes that play. 

Gunner brought up Hopkins and said he saw him drop a similar ball.  I wasn’t comparing him to Hopkins.  

Edited by Alphadawg7