64.1% = Josh Allen's completion percentage through 3 games

He had an amazing throw to John Brown with 8:44 left in the 4th quarter.  He dekes a defensive player and hits Brown in stride for the first down.  Just awesome!  This guy is a baller!

Hopefully the o-line will continue to jell as they play together more.  He was on the run quite a bit against the giants and if he had more time, could have done so much more against a very, very weak secondary.

Just to be fair and add context the Jets secondary is mid-level at best (solid at safety but poor at CB) and the Giants might be the worst or second worst secondary in the league. Neither team has a pass rush that is top 10 in the league either. So it's not like Josh has had a lot of great defenses to go up against and it is only 2 games to begin with. BUT you play who you play and the path to 9-10 wins is usually take care of the teams you are supposed to be esp on the road and snake a couple of games at home against tougher opponents. The Bills have for now put themselves in position to be successful by winning 25% of their road games including a divisional opponent and putting themselves in a position to go 3-0 against a very beatable Cincy team. 

Cincy has a decent D-line (probably as good as the Jets if not a little better) but I am not so sure how well their secondary is and their defense overall is. But it will be a decent test to see if Josh can continue to take care of business against these teams that they should be able to beat. 

If Josh Allen made some of the throws Matt Ryan, or Carson Wentz did last night there would be pitchforks. But many on TBD would rather have them.

Matt Ryan is a good QB, but has been bailed out by superior offensive talent. The game winner to Julio was a designed play where the LT killed a DB (was it assault?) and Julio ran for the majority of the yards after the catch. That is superior play design, and having Julio that can outrun a defense. Ryan took 'gunslinger' shots on two of his three picks last night. Ryan is in year 11, and those are throws we don't want Allen to make in year 2.

Carson Wentz leads his receivers (WR, RB, TE) into destruction. Play after play Wentz led people into getting lit up. High passes, leading players into a S or LB over and over again.

Allen doesn't do this.

Go figure, having NFL capable WRs and maybe TEs is helping Allen with completion %. Plenty of time to get a stud or two in WR, TE or some stud RBs to help out.

Allen is progressing well above the mean, and the cake is still baked vanilla.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Since you claim there were several can you give us examples of the throws he had accuracy issues on?

Sure, but let me first be clear that I thought Josh played very well overall. I graded him with an "A" performance and it wasn't on a curve. That said, here are the throws where I thought he had issues with accuracy beyond the acceptable norms (i.e. minor ball placement problems): 

1st q (1:56): deep ball to Brown overthrown by 6-8 yards

1st q (1:49): under throw to Foster on the out pattern. The ball was catchable but given how open he was Josh has to do better on that one. 

2nd 1 (14:15): Josh throws wide on the out to Knox who stretches to get one hand on it and the ball bounces off. Trent Green comments how Josh needs to learn when to put a little more touch on it to give his receivers a better chance.

3rd q (4:49): Josh misses Zay on the hot route in the slot throwing way behind him.

4th q (6:55): Josh misses Zay on the crossing pattern in the end zone. This one was catchable but like the throw to Foster it just wasn't good enough forcing Zay to lay out for it on a routine 10 yard throw from a clean pocket.

So five inaccurate throws in thirty attempts for an accuracy% of 83.3% which based on last year is on the high side of average for an NFL QB according to Elias Sports Bureau. Like I said, he had a good game. I still disagree with posters claiming Josh's accuracy issues are no worse than your average QB. I think he's below average in that regard, but he's also above average when it comes to making jaw dropping plays. In the end, as long as the offense is able to finish off drives with TDs it won't matter that he gets a little wild a little more often than other QBs.         

Edited by VW82

16 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Sure, but let me first be clear that I thought Josh played very well overall. I graded him with an "A" performance and it wasn't on a curve. That said, here are the throws where I thought he had issues with accuracy beyond the acceptable norms (i.e. minor ball placement problems): 

1st q (1:56): deep ball to Brown overthrown by 6-8 yards

1st q (1:49): under throw to Foster on the out pattern. The ball was catchable but given how open he was Josh has to do better on that one. 

2nd 1 (14:15): Josh throws wide on the out to Knox who stretches to get one hand on it and the ball bounces off. Trent Green comments how Josh needs to learn when to put a little more touch on it to give his receivers a better chance.

3rd q (4:49): Josh misses Zay on the hot route in the slot throwing way behind him.

4th q (6:55): Josh misses Zay on the crossing pattern in the end zone. This one was catchable but like the throw to Foster it just wasn't good enough forcing Zay to lay out for it on a routine 10 yard throw from a clean pocket.

So five inaccurate throws in thirty attempts for an accuracy% of 83.3% which based on last year is on the high side of average for an NFL QB according to Elias Sports Bureau. Like I said, he had a good game. I still disagree with posters claiming Josh's accuracy issues are no worse than your average QB. I think he's below average in that regard, but he's also above average when it comes to making jaw dropping plays. In the end, as long as the offense is able to finish off drives with TDs it won't matter that he gets a little wild a little more often than other QBs.         

The only real obvious misses by my eye were the deep ball to Brown and the slant to Zay. 

Ive said it a bunch before but I don’t consider the throw to Zay in the end zone as a missed throw. Zay was being blanketed and he put the ball in a spot where only his receiver could get to it. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/15/2019 at 4:20 PM, GunnerBill said:

I don't agree. I think that would have been a highlight catch. Laid out with a DB right there. I have been as critical as anyone of Zay Jones but that one is not a drop. 

I don't disagree that it was a good throw under the circumstances by the way... I think it was. I just don't think it was on anyone that it ended incomplete. 

Well Cover1 who uses the All 22 to do their write-ups and recaps rated Zay a dud and said he dropped the TD pass.  I watched it back and it looked like a ball he should have caught as well.  And lets be honest, Zay doesn't exactly have the track record for the benefit of the doubt here either.  I would personally still like to see the All 22 myself before I make any real declaration on it, but until then it looked like a drop and Cover1 seems to agree.  

https://www.cover1.net/buffalo-bills-studs-duds-new-york-giants/

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well Cover1 who uses the All 22 to do their write-ups and recaps rated Zay a dud and said he dropped the TD pass.  I watched it back and it looked like a ball he should have caught as well.  And lets be honest, Zay doesn't exactly have the track record for the benefit of the doubt here either.  I would personally still like to see the All 22 myself before I make any real declaration on it, but until then it looked like a drop and Cover1 seems to agree.  

I’m more upset that treD white got honorable mention under duds.

I want to see the all22 also. My opinion in the game was it was a tough catch, one that most #1s make but I’m not sure anyone on the Bills is that good, maybe Cole. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’m more upset that treD white got honorable mention under duds.

I want to see the all22 also. My opinion in the game was it was a tough catch, one that most #1s make but I’m not sure anyone on the Bills is that good, maybe Cole. 

I think Cole makes that catch, but I also think he gets a bit more separation making it a much easier catch.

The issue is that if people compare Zay to a #1 he is going to be a “dud” most weeks.  We saw that the last 2 years, but if you look at what he does as a 4th or 5th WR - the role he is in - then he is average.  

Zay got his his hands on a low and away ball with a DB on his back.  It was catchable, but was a very difficult catch because the throw was going away from him and he was running a flat route.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't care what they think. I think they are wrong.

16 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That is not by a guy that does film work at Cover 1 and I do not believe he has looked at the all 22 - that is just his opinion.

We will need to wait and see.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

That is not by a guy that does film work at Cover 1 and I do not believe he has looked at the all 22 - that is just his opinion.

We will need to wait and see.

All-22 is up.  I just don't have access to it from where I am right now and can't find the play on twitter.

That's a play I'd definitely like to see.  I was surprised they didn't replay it during the broadcast.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Has anyone had a chance to look at the All-22 clip of Allen's pass to Zay Jones in the EZ? 

Tried looking for it quick on twitter but couldn't find it.  I'd just like to see the angles and see how close it was to being a catch.  The in-game camera angle was horrible.

I still say it was a tough catch.

A1901903-68-AC-4-D03-ACA3-DF83-F007007-E

B11-E3-C6-D-852-F-4872-8095-99-CBB2-F72-

Edited by Bangarang