64.1% = Josh Allen's completion percentage through 3 games

2 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Allen is a work in progress, but ‘a good work’. Has the tools of strong arm, fast enough feet and intelligent brain, but his deficiencies?

* Accuracy- the Bomb being one

* Touch- needs to not worry about an Int if he lowers the velocity on wide open Receivers.

* Running more carefully, so he doesn't get killed.

Yesterday was an overall, B+/ A- performance. Some plays/ passes were ranked in the best of the game- the rollout, across the body to Knox.

Some were poor- Brown and some stunk!

We all want to see him light it up!

350+ yards, 4 TDs & no picks.

Next week is the place to start, with 75k screaming fans, urging him on! 

yes

3 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Allen is a work in progress, but ‘a good work’. Has the tools of strong arm, fast enough feet and intelligent brain, but his deficiencies?

* Accuracy- the Bomb being one

* Touch- needs to not worry about an Int if he lowers the velocity on wide open Receivers.

* Running more carefully, so he doesn't get killed.

Yesterday was an overall, B+/ A- performance. Some plays/ passes were ranked in the best of the game- the rollout, across the body to Knox.

Some were poor- Brown and some stunk!

We all want to see him light it up!

350+ yards, 4 TDs & no picks.

Next week is the place to start, with 75k screaming fans, urging him on! 

He's currently on pace to throw for 4,000+ yards

18 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

He threw some ropes today moving to his right that few qbs can make  Only bad throw I can recall was throwing behind Zay on the crosser  He is getting better week to week

That one was an RPO too so its always a little tricky - you're reading a linebacker on whether to hand off or not, but also need to set your feet and deliver the ball.  He didn't set his feet and thus, ball didnt go where he wanted it to.

15 hours ago, MDH said:

So wait, is completion percentage important now? When Allen is 52% it doesn’t matter but if he’s 64% it’s suddenly an important stat? 

Can’t have it both ways.

no, it's not both ways. It's to the people using completion percentage as an indicator of Allen's inaccuracy and now, with Allen's completion higher than 60% after two games, checking with these people again on what's the next metric they would like to use regarding his accuracy issue. Most people do know completion percentage is very different to accuracy and do not say >60% completion percentage means he's accurate.

So, what's the next metric?

7 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I'm glad you included the Y/A at the start, because I think that needs to be included in every conversation when it comes to QB accuracy. Darnold hit 68% last week, throwing slightly more passes than Josh, and yet was a full 70 something yards under Allen's total.

There is also a purpose to deep throws, even if they are near misses. A deep pass shows that you can stretch the field, and forces the safety to play a bit deeper, preventing the defense from swarming the middle of the field and opening up those 10-15 yard passes that Allen consistently made in the first half.

Exactly. For the people like to use completion percentage as an indicator of accuracy, they should check all Darnold's 28  "impressive" completions in week 1 resulting in 68% completion rate.

Edited by syhuang

15 hours ago, MDH said:

So wait, is completion percentage important now? When Allen is 52% it doesn’t matter but if he’s 64% it’s suddenly an important stat? 

Can’t have it both ways.

It’s only relevant to the ‘analysts’ that said 52% meant 64% was impossible. 

6 hours ago, WideNine said:

I actually feel kind of bad for Rosen - went from a bad situation in Zona to a raging dumpster fire in Miami.

Would not wish that on any QB. He is going to get smoked down there if he starts in place of Fitz. At least Fitz gets rid of the ball more quickly, even if it was to the wrong team:)

Any young QB in a QB room with Fitz is screwed. It’s just a fact of life 

6 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Yep.

I went to two (XXV & XXVII) and loved every second, but the result! During those Glory Years, I watched EVERY second of every game- Attending multiple Home games, Playoff Games & 2 AFC Championships as a Season Tix holder.

It provides perspective when younger peeps here try and say this current day Bill is fabulous and Allen is Kelly 2.0.

Maybe. 

I hope so.

Let’s see! 

Lol were not quite there yet  During those years I expected to win just about every game

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001053225/Every-DeAndre-Hopkins-target-Week-1

To people that want to nit-pick Allens accuracy and claim the bal was maybe too high or slightly behind a WR at times, potentially limiting more yards, I want you to watch this video. Watson is brought up a lot because we could have drafted him. I think it is pretty unanimous that Watson is a capable QB and I certainly dont see anyone criticizing his accuracy to the level that Allen is. In this video alone I count 4 balls that were off target: 0:24, 1:12, 1:49, 2:14, 2:28.

Any of these throws by Allen would have people on here picking him apart for "costing us a TD" but the reality is that QBs make imperfect throws all the time. the key is you back them up by good throws and keep the drive moving. If you want perfection thats fine but know that by your standards Watson would be a QB that still needs a lot of work to improve his accuracy too.

Edited by jletha
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

at 7.6 YPA after being told for months that Allen is what he is: a sub 60% passer.

I argued all offseason accuracy wasn't really his problem after actually watching and rewatching all of his passes along with several of his peers. I really thought he'd be over 60% this season and got a lot of pushback.

Well, we're only 2 games in and today there were definitely some throws he missed (John Brown wants his Td Josh!!!) but, yet again, also throws that were missed by his targets: Knox for sure with a perfectly placed ball and couldn't tell what happened with the pass to Jones in the EZ, but looked like a drop. Last week we all saw the drops from Beasely.

We as Bills fans are probably catching on that Allen can be an accurate QB.

I wonder how long it takes everyone else to see it...

RIght on. And more importantly, % with wins. Look at Matt Ryan's numbers last year with a losing record. I will take the wins, with the great QB #'s even better.

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Josh's only "bad miss" was Zay on the slant in the 3rd quarter. If he hits that the 3rd Quarter lull is not a thing... and it wasn't a particular degree of difficult throw. He should make that. But every QB has 1 or 2 of those throws a game. The other poor ball was the one where he overthrew Brown in the first half for what would have been a walk in TD deep down the middle - but that was a tougher deep ball and again sometimes you miss those. He was a bit high on the throw to McKenzie on that first TD drive as well which limited YAC and possibly prevented a score.

But you are really nit picking on yesterday's performance on a guy who led four 70 yard plus touchdown drives of 10, 11, 7 and 13 plays. Yesterday he was 100% no less accurate or effective with his decision making than any other Quarterback who suited up and took the field this weekend. And he was more accurate and decisive than a good many of them. I think there were 3 or maybe even 4 throw aways. Take those out and even leaving the "drop" by Knox in his adjusted completion % would be even more impressive.

Josh played a really good game yesterday. That was a franchise QB performance.

I would also argue argue on this that unless we know the exact Blitz Hot read on that play for Zay - we do not know if the bad pass was truly on Allen or if Zay played it wrong.

The guy covering Zay Blitzed - Zay And Allen both saw it.  Zay continues his slant route rather than just pulling up and presenting himself as a target.

Allen saw the Blitzer and threw a half side arm pass outside the Blitzer.  The pass crossed the Line of Scrimmage about Where Zay started his route. If Zay had not ran the slant and just stopped and turned to the QB the pass would have been perfect.  

I will admit that I do not know what they have taught the WR to do for that particular hot read - I have seen it go both ways - continue the route and pull up.  The coaches will know if it was a bad passes or an incorrect Hot Read.  We will most likely never find out.  

In the end it will go down as a total miss, but really had little impact on an otherwise excellent game by Allen.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I would also argue argue on this that unless we know the exact Blitz Hot read on that play for Zay - we do not know if the bad pass was truly on Allen or if Zay played it wrong.

The guy covering Zay Blitzed - Zay And Allen both saw it.  Zay continues his slant route rather than just pulling up and presenting himself as a target.

Allen saw the Blitzer and threw a half side arm pass outside the Blitzer.  The pass crossed the Line of Scrimmage about Where Zay started his route. If Zay had not ran the slant and just stopped and turned to the QB the pass would have been perfect.  

I will admit that I do not know what they have taught the WR to do for that particular hot read - I have seen it go both ways - continue the route and pull up.  The coaches will know if it was a bad passes or an incorrect Hot Read.  We will most likely never find out.  

In the end it will go down as a total miss, but really had little impact on an otherwise excellent game by Allen.

Likely Zay has the option based on the coverage. The middle of the field was open so against that you continue the route normally. Might have been a miscommunication rather than a "missed throw" though that is true. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Likely Zay has the option based on the coverage. The middle of the field was open so against that you continue the route normally. Might have been a miscommunication rather than a "missed throw" though that is true. 

That is what I would figure also, but it is so hard to say when the free Blitzer is barreling down at you and you are trying to read your guy at the same time.  

The throw to the middle of the field with the Blitzer was a much harder throw than if he had just stopped and posted up because he had to go over the Blitzer.  A nice touch throw gets that done, but also potentially brings the safety into play if he rotated up quickly.

The fact that he recognized the blitz and used the correct hot read and threw to the correct WR was a step in the right direction.  

Now they all all need to be on the same page.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean very few people are making that point. Almost everyone here agrees he played well yesterday,

But it's more then it should be. 

When we drafted Allen, the detractors, and there was a sizable minority of them among the Bills posting fan base, claimed that he would be a bust and NEVER be a starting caliber QB.  Then after he showed flashes of excellence during the first half of last season the number of folks claiming he would be a bust declined but not by a lot.  Then after he showed solid growth in his game after the injury the detractors still harped on Allen's accuracy & decision making "issues". 

Allen gave us good reason to be optimistic about his being a franchise QB with the way he closed out last season.  Sure, he was still a work in progress but the persistent negativism & pickiness of the Allen detractors got old during the off season.  Hell we had 20 page arguments about the definition of "accuracy" as the Allen haters, and yes they come across as haters, analyzed every throw he made.  Frankly it got silly.

Now after a strong off season by the Bills upgrading the offense and a strong training camp & pre-season by Allen we had a reason to be optimistic about Allen going into the season.  And after the first two games our optimism has been reinforced.  I just think the time has come to get behind Allen.  Constructive criticism is fine and makes for a better message board but the assessment of Allen by the haters is just annoying.  It doesn't add anything to the discussion IMO.

Oh and for the record GunnerBill I love your takes on Allen.  Your tough but fair and since I can be overly optimistic you point out stuff that I don't see or appreciate.  This allows me to temper my optimism with some realism.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Can't help but wonder what his % would have been had they not stopped passing in the 4th.

Particularly loved the completions he had on the run in the 1st & 4th. Honestly was holding my breath fully expecting an INT both times. He almost made it look easy. 

Was thinking how sick all the JA haters must be after the first two games. Unfortunately, they'll just save it as ammunition for if/when the Bills lose a game. 

1 hour ago, SloanBillsFan said:

Can't help but wonder what his % would have been had they not stopped passing in the 4th.

Particularly loved the completions he had on the run in the 1st & 4th. Honestly was holding my breath fully expecting an INT both times. He almost made it look easy. 

Was thinking how sick all the JA haters must be after the first two games. Unfortunately, they'll just save it as ammunition for if/when the Bills lose a game. 

it almost makes me wonder if they are doing/showing just enough to win the game and haven't unleashed the entire arsenal just yet?

After all they do have the Patriots coming to Buffalo after the Bengals. Anyone checked the ticket prices for that Patriots game yet...looking to be sky high and tough to get.

On a side note, I just can't help hoping the the Bills wreck Brady or at the very least win this one. Obviously, destroying Marsha and winning the game would be the ultimate :devil:

• Like (+1) 1