64.1% = Josh Allen's completion percentage through 3 games

3 hours ago, VW82 said:

I don't understand this post. Josh had a really good game today -- can't we just leave it at that?

64% and 7.6 YPA are average for an NFL QB. He also has four TOVs through two games not counting the should-have-been-strip sack today and dropped pick and called back INT in game one. Josh had accuracy issues on several throws today just as he did in week one, and in each of the three preseason games too. It should be obvious to anyone who's watched him play he has intermittent problems with accuracy. Why do we need to bend the truth and pretend like that doesn't exist? There's more than enough to like about him already that we don't need to do that. 

I was thoroughly impressed with Allen's play today. It showed that he's improving and that he has a tonne of potential. It did not prove that everyone has been wrong all along about his various bugaboos.  

We can all bend the truth... a bit......can't we?

4 TOVs by Allen with no qualifying info? - I will put one of those squarely on Allen and 3 as bad bounces and execution around him (1 ball popped up by Beasley, 1 ball tipped at line directly to defender, 1 Tackle cleanly beat and ball stripped from behind).

The "strip sack" you mention today was Allen clearly in the grasp (they almost ripped his jersey off), a very, very slow whistle, and a Giants defender that while down on the ground brought his foot up to kick at Allen and ended up kicking the ball out. But a "should have been strip sack" of a reckless Allen supports a better negative narrative right?

His accuracy is much better, but don't kid yourself. It's still an issue. Accuracy is always an issue and Allen's accuracy is now pretty average. He was awful under pressure in week 1, which is another big issue, but to his credit, he cleaned a lot of that up in week 2. Most posters are overrating him now. That Giants game was his best game to date, however, so there is some cause for optimism.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MDH said:

So wait, is completion percentage important now? When Allen is 52% it doesn’t matter but if he’s 64% it’s suddenly an important stat? 

Can’t have it both ways.

I mean this is exactly right but we shouldn’t gloss over the performance. Allen played great; he also cost his team 7 points. Give and take, he’s getting better.

7 hours ago, Doc said:

I honestly didn’t care if Josh was even below 60%. He’s got an arm and legs that can make up for the occasional misfire. But glad to see he’s well above 60% so far. 

It's not so much "caring" whether or not he is a sub-60% QB.  It's about winning.  If your QB is sub-60% it points to an unbalanced attack on offense. The short game does inflate a QB's %, but they have to be good at the short game to win in this league.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It matters and mattered as a team stat.

A handful of posters viewed it as the definition of accuracy.

Holy hell way to generalize. Unbelievable. Some people think it’s an indicator or accuracy, and you fought them tooth and nail. Now it’s all good? Like MDH said, you can’t have it both ways. And allen doesn’t need someone toting his jock 24/7. 

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

How did he "cost his team 7 points"?

He overthrew brown by 6 yards when he had 6 yards of separation on the nearest defender. Sorry, 6 points

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They were talking about it early on the pregame show today and used Cam as the example. He won an MVP at 59% and had the worst year of his career at 68%. It’s a totally worthless stat because so many factors count. Trent Edwards probably could have completed 75% but it would have been awful. 

7-5 as a starter is the biggest stat for me. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

7-5 as a starter is the biggest stat for me. 

It’s really the only thing that matters. He’s good enough to win, and win convincingly. We’ll see if he can win against good teams in a couple of weeks.  

The rest of these clowns move their goalposts so frequently it’s impossible to keep track

Josh's only "bad miss" was Zay on the slant in the 3rd quarter. If he hits that the 3rd Quarter lull is not a thing... and it wasn't a particular degree of difficult throw. He should make that. But every QB has 1 or 2 of those throws a game. The other poor ball was the one where he overthrew Brown in the first half for what would have been a walk in TD deep down the middle - but that was a tougher deep ball and again sometimes you miss those. He was a bit high on the throw to McKenzie on that first TD drive as well which limited YAC and possibly prevented a score.

But you are really nit picking on yesterday's performance on a guy who led four 70 yard plus touchdown drives of 10, 11, 7 and 13 plays. Yesterday he was 100% no less accurate or effective with his decision making than any other Quarterback who suited up and took the field this weekend. And he was more accurate and decisive than a good many of them. I think there were 3 or maybe even 4 throw aways. Take those out and even leaving the "drop" by Knox in his adjusted completion % would be even more impressive.

Josh played a really good game yesterday. That was a franchise QB performance.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

Holy hell way to generalize. Unbelievable. Some people think it’s an indicator or accuracy, and you fought them tooth and nail. Now it’s all good? Like MDH said, you can’t have it both ways. And allen doesn’t need someone toting his jock 24/7. 

He overthrew brown by 6 yards when he had 6 yards of separation on the nearest defender. Sorry, 6 points

And they scored that drive anyway.  Allen also doesn't need purported fans tying to tear his jock off, picking on every single throw as if it is be all and end all of his career and focusing on just the negative because it matches a pre-conceived narrative that he' never make it in the league.

He's a young second year QB that's improving.  Good for him.  Odds are he'll have some struggles this eyar too.  As young QBs do.  He's not an All Pro based on yesterday because he played well, and he won't be a bust if and when he has a tough game.  HE is a young developing QB that appears to have a pretty good future.

He's still pretty inconsistent, which one would hope he can clean up.  That ball to Smoke was just awful.  The McKenzie catch was more than a lot high, and the missed ball to Zay would have been a big play.  He's threading some needles and missing water falling out of a boat in the same series at times, I don't know what to think of it.

The accuracy thing will follow him until he does what La?ma?... sorry threw up in my mouth twice.. until he can do what Lamar Jackson is doing.  Jackson is hitting wide open guys as they jog into the endzone.  I wouldn't trade QBs, but thats what is inflating Jackson's stats.  Its the simple things that hes doing and Josh still seems to miss all too often.