64.1% = Josh Allen's completion percentage through 3 games

He had a lot more near perfect throws than misses and near misses. There are so many ways to look at these things. The one longer one that was caught by McKenzie was a little high. If he puts it right on the money it's probably a TD. If McKenzie keeps his balance after the jump it is probably a TD. But he made ten excellent throws today, and maybe 3-4 bad ones. The two rollout passes to Knox and Smoke were fantastic. He thread the needle a few times over the middle. The diving catch by Beasley was actually a great throw because a normal pass would have been blocked, so he changed his motion and threw it sidearm and it was not on the money but it was catchable.

• Like (+1) 8

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The one in the endzone to Zay was not a drop. It was a slighty off target throw but it was an ad lib play by both at that point I think from a first look not really on either of them. 

I think the only "got to have that" drop today was Knox. 

But a lot of receivers catch that ball GunnerBill.  I'll wait for the replay's but I thought it was a good throw under the circumstances. 

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

But a lot of receivers catch that ball GunnerBill.  I'll wait for the replay's but I thought it was a good throw under the circumstances. 

I don't agree. I think that would have been a highlight catch. Laid out with a DB right there. I have been as critical as anyone of Zay Jones but that one is not a drop. 

I don't disagree that it was a good throw under the circumstances by the way... I think it was. I just don't think it was on anyone that it ended incomplete. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It was a good throw in the sense that he was trying to make something happen and put the ball in a spot where only Zay could get it. Regardless, it’s a very difficult catch to make and it’s not one I’d expect a lot of guys to come down with.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

He threw some ropes today moving to his right that few qbs can make  Only bad throw I can recall was throwing behind Zay on the crosser  He is getting better week to week

If he hits him in stride, I think he only had a safety to beat. But, it may have been a miscommunication on a hot read for all we know.

Allen does need to take some heat off of certain throws as well. Those passes that bounce off of WRs will lead to INTs at times.

All in all, very good day from Josh. 

32 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Like I've said before, Allen's bad plays get magnified because of his reputation coming out of college.  Last week I mentioned how Stafford almost gave the game away in overtime on a terrible throw against Arizona. 

Today Philip RIvers threw a terrible pass on 3rd and 19, into double coverage, into the endzone, with a minute left in the game and well within FG range to tie it up.  If Allen throws that pass he is getting crucified.  Every single QB throws horrible passes. 

Brady, Manning, Brees, etc., all throw bad passes.  I'm not saying Allen is as nearly as accurate as these guys, but he is not nearly as inaccurate as some make him out to be.  People are just cherry picking to fit their agenda.  

To be fair to Philthy, his kicker missed a couple FGs earlier, and he probably didn't want to put the game in the kicker's hands (feet). It wasn't a smart throw, but he was being uber aggressive for that reason IMO.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

39 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

at 7.6 YPA after being told for months that Allen is what he is: a sub 60% passer.

I argued all offseason accuracy wasn't really his problem after actually watching and rewatching all of his passes along with several of his peers. I really thought he'd be over 60% this season and got a lot of pushback.

Well, we're only 2 games in and today there were definitely some throws he missed (John Brown wants his Td Josh!!!) but, yet again, also throws that were missed by his targets: Knox for sure with a perfectly placed ball and couldn't tell what happened with the pass to Jones in the EZ, but looked like a drop. Last week we all saw the drops from Beasely.

We as Bills fans are probably catching on that Allen can be an accurate QB.

I wonder how long it takes everyone else to see it...

H.O.F!

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That and missing Brown wide open for the TD early. They were the only two I thought were on Josh. 

Immediately after the play, I thought of a quote from Josh during camp, something about how hard it is to overthrow Smoke. Maybe he was a bit overconfident there, but it was a good read on the play. 

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

43 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

at 7.6 YPA after being told for months that Allen is what he is: a sub 60% passer.

I argued all offseason accuracy wasn't really his problem after actually watching and rewatching all of his passes along with several of his peers. I really thought he'd be over 60% this season and got a lot of pushback.

Well, we're only 2 games in and today there were definitely some throws he missed (John Brown wants his Td Josh!!!) but, yet again, also throws that were missed by his targets: Knox for sure with a perfectly placed ball and couldn't tell what happened with the pass to Jones in the EZ, but looked like a drop. Last week we all saw the drops from Beasely.

I would like to see him improve on the long ball.  He had Brown open by 4 yards and overthrew him.  Hopefully he starts to put a little more air under it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ray Finkel said:

I would like to see him improve on the long ball.  He had Brown open by 4 yards and overthrew him.  Hopefully he starts to put a little more air under it.

Early in the game I think he was over excited  Eventually I think he will learn to dial those in

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Couldn't tell on the Zay EZ pass because of the camera angle and the broadcast didn't replay it for some reason so never got a good look.

I'll take your word for it if you did.

That Knox whiff was a killer and it seemed to also be the moment our offensive momentum just stopped today.

I frame by framed it and it looked like it hit him in the hands on a well covered play that was thrown where only Zay could catch it.

But, it was a bad angle from far away and I guess they didn’t have a better angle for a replay. 

Which begs the question: Why didn't they have more cameras on the play into the EZ? 

And, why do they not ALWAYS have a camera trained on the EZ line during kickoffs?

40 minutes ago, Ray Finkel said:

So you're saying Allen isn't perfect like every other NFL QB is?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Don't fixate on completion percentage - watch your QB in the pocket, watch him feel the rush and slide around accordingly, and watch whether he pushes the ball down the field or not.  Then watch some other games and feel bad for the 20 teams in the league that have medium minus quarterbacks.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

He has to keep it up.

1 hour ago, BillsRdue said:

Some biased reporters never will admit it. They will stay on the Josh sucks bandwagon.

No, they'll say that somehow Allen has improved his accuracy and that Daboll must be a QB whisperer, when in actuality Josh never had an accuracy problem. He just had scheme, support, and decision making problems. Well those are mostly fixed this year and suddenly Josh has a good completion percentage.

I do think people will jump on his band wagon, but they will still be convinced that they were correct and that somehow Josh got better.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1