Is there a better QB in the league at avoiding pass rushers than Josh?

Kelly the Dog

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Young is one of the most underrated great QBs in league history. He could do everything Montana could except he was a way better scrambler and runner and roll out guy.

He and Bradshaw are criminally underrated. Of those two, Young was better, IMO. But how can a guy that led his team to 4 Super Bowls be as overlooked as Bradshaw?

6 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Young is one of the most underrated great QBs in league history. He could do everything Montana could except he was a way better scrambler and runner and roll out guy.

Steve young was a criminally underrated quarterback, and he acquited himself very well, especially after spending his early years in Joe Montana's shadow. 

Edited by Rocket94

He's good at it. Allen has a good all around game. Don't know if he is great at anything yet, but he is good all around. He's athletic, strong, and mobile. He has great accuracy (on occasion) and can make throws on the run. Best got a big arm and he's smart. He's willing to push the ball down the field and let his receivers make plays. Best of all, he's a gamer.

I think I'm time he'll be truly elite in some of those categories, but the fact he is good in all of them already is really impressive.

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

When he realizes he's getting pressured, he's pretty damn good. He seems to find himself in too many situations though where he loses his pocket presence.

The earlier you own your massive misjudgment about Josh Allen, the less foolish you will seem.  He has played less than 1 full season of games as starter and has clearly established himself as a force of nature at the position. This particular post of yours is flat out ridiculous. 

I would say Russel Wilson is much better at avoiding the sacks. Seattle always had such a terrible line Wilson always had pressure non stop. Him being smaller probably helps avoid those sacks as well, but the guy is deadly extending the play. If there’s one thing I would want Allen to study off of Wilson’s game it would be his ability to scramble and extend the play and still throw a 100 mph fastball over the middle. I am not a fan of this running and taking so many hits. Guy gets beat up in the pocket enough without taking hits as a runner 

• Like (+1) 1

Easy to answer.

No he’s not.

At times looked incredible today.  The pass to Knox was unbelievable.  Lost his head somewhere late second quarter, and looked terrible.  May have technically avoided the rush at times, but melted down when he did.  Avoiding the rush isn’t just escaping.  It’s making a play.

Josh was incredible at times today, and below average at other times.

36 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Agree Young was underrated.

Better than Montana at scrambling, yes.  Nobody was better then Montana when rolling out and surveying the field.

Edited by davefan66

4 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Easy to answer.

No he’s not.

At times looked incredible today.  The pass to Knox was unbelievable.  Lost his head somewhere late second quarter, and looked terrible.  May have technically avoided the rush at times, but melted down when he did.

Josh was incredible at times today, and below average at other times.

What. Game. Were. You. Watching.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

What. Game. Were. You. Watching.

Middle of second quarter he may have avoided the rush, but didn’t make plays doing so.  Played better later on.

Question was is he one of the best avoiding the rush?  Not one of the best....yet.  Didn’t gain many passing yards send half when we needed him to put the game away when the rush was getting to him.

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Agreed. You get the sense Josh is learning and putting it together. When to run and when to avoid , reestablish the pocket and pass. There is not a down and distance this offense can’t make. When is the last time we felt that way? 92? 

It seemed like every time Peterman threw the ball we got a fresh set of downs.?

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It's close. if I had to pick one right now I would pick Wilson, too. Josh is pretty amazing though, in a lot of different ways. Agility, strength, size, speed, etc.

Allen made several throws on the run today that I don’t know I’ve ever seen a QB make.  The throw to Knox was insane - folks may take it for granted because he makes it look so easy.  He is a supreme athlete and he’s on his way to becoming an elite QB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I don't know, but I do know that he's one of maybe 4 QBs in football that could've made the scramble-and-throw to Smoke for that 4th quarter 3rd down conversion.

Unbelievable.

Was very Rodgers-esque imo

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Allen made several throws on the run today that I don’t know I’ve ever seen a QB make.  The throw to Knox was insane - folks may take it for granted because he makes it look so easy.  He is a supreme athlete and he’s on his way to becoming an elite QB.

I would almost bet on him becoming a "franchise QB" as of now. Not because he is that close now, but his physical gifts are better than literally anyone's, he has a great attitude, he's competitive as hell, he wants to be the best, and tries and works at his craft. It's an open question if he can read defenses quick enough and not try to do too much, but he's got a chance to be great. He's far ahead of where I thought he would be.

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It's not an easy question to answer. Brady is great at avoiding sacks but getting the ball out quick and stepping up or sideways. But he cannot get away from rushers quickly right in his face like Allen can. Rodgers and Ben, along with maybe Russell Wilson and Mahomes are all very good at it.

But Allen eludes and breaks tackles and fakes out and outruns and sidesteps potential sacks as good as anyone, already. It happens all the time, even this year (although not nearly as often as last year). And he still holds the ball too long too many times, that is not what I am talking about.

But the sheer number of tackles avoided he has that look like sure sacks is extremely impressive. 

He's also either one or two as far as running QBs, depending on what you think of Lamar Jackson, who doesn't even run much this year.

Number 1 running QB for sure...love his style. Can't wait until he develops into the number 1 passer to go with it!

Kind of ironic that the Raiders and the Packers played their preseason game in Winnipeg and the field had to be shortened because the NFL officials were terrified of the risk of injury at one of the patch areas of field turf that normally has the CFL goal post. So they moved the field up. Yet the Raiders and the NFL are cool with playing on that terrible excuse for a field in Oakland? where there are literally wide swathes of field to break bones on?

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Allen is starting to remind me more of Elway than Newton. Elway could make those throws too, and like Elway, Allen's arm is every bit as strong

Edited by buffalo2218

6 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It's not an easy question to answer. Brady is great at avoiding sacks but getting the ball out quick and stepping up or sideways. But he cannot get away from rushers quickly right in his face like Allen can. Rodgers and Ben, along with maybe Russell Wilson and Mahomes are all very good at it.

But Allen eludes and breaks tackles and fakes out and outruns and sidesteps potential sacks as good as anyone, already. It happens all the time, even this year (although not nearly as often as last year). And he still holds the ball too long too many times, that is not what I am talking about.

But the sheer number of tackles avoided he has that look like sure sacks is extremely impressive. 

He's also either one or two as far as running QBs, depending on what you think of Lamar Jackson, who doesn't even run much this year.

WHat has been impressive for me with Allen is his ability to throw on the run.  He made some clutch throws yesterday as he was running towards thee right sideline.

4 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I would almost bet on him becoming a "franchise QB" as of now. Not because he is that close now, but his physical gifts are better than literally anyone's, he has a great attitude, he's competitive as hell, he wants to be the best, and tries and works at his craft. It's an open question if he can read defenses quick enough and not try to do too much, but he's got a chance to be great. He's far ahead of where I thought he would be.

I think that part (mental) of reading the defense and making quick decision will come as he gets more experience in the system.   

It is interesting that the two guys who were considered the highest risk in last years draft are the ones that are turning out to be good starters for their team (at least at this moment).

Edited by ganesh
  • Like (+1) 1