Early third quarter slowdown-bad execution, not playcalling

dave mcbride

We probably have not seen the last of this. 

We have an entirely new offense, these guys are all learning how to play together and it takes a little bit to get on the same page. They’re actually much farther ahead than I would of expected. As the competition gets better though I expect to see a few more quarters like that 3rd today. 

2 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

That pass to Dawson Knox was a bullet.  He’s supposed to catch those, that’s his job.  But a bullet at close range like that is probably something that he hasn’t seen too often. Should Josh throw those with a little less speed, did the tight coverage require that amount of speed, or dId Knox absolutely mess up by not catching it?

When you are in an NFL game and the ball goes equidistantly between your hands and you didn’t even break stride.... Yeah, that’s not on the QB.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Dave, most folks here simply do not want to objectively discuss the team or the game.

They are here to be cheerleaders and nothing else.

I understand your points and I agree with you.  

I think I'm just about done trying to discuss Josh Allen's development too, but he left several big plays and points on the field today as you alluded to.  It's hard to discuss Allen here because he is so guarded and protected.  Any comment suggesting he is not the perfect morphing of Marino, Kelly, Elway, and Brady is perceived as a "troll post".

He made 3 great throws today, many good ones, several bad ones, and a couple really bad ones that probably took points off the board.  But he also did enough stuff to win, 2 weeks in a  row.  I'm to the point where I want to see us play a good team with a good quarterback so we can judge what we really have this season.   We haven't run into that team yet.

Youre overanalyzing Josh here.   It’s not being a homer to point that out.  

He has to get better on his deep balls.  He misses them far too often by launching them into the stratosphere.  

That being said, all QB’s, even the greats, miss throws.  

He had 3 legit misses and 1 drop.  Brown deep. Zay slant.  Foster comeback.  Then the Knox drop. 

Josh played really well today.   That game clinching 3rd down throw was big time.  

Edited by SCBills

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I was referring to the third quarter slant — he was wide open with a ton of running room in front of him.

As bad as the execution was it had basically 0 chance of a pick due to location and velocity- I think he is learning how to miss while minimizing risk.

5 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That long pass to Brown was a sure TD that Josh missed badly, and you're right, if he hits that there is little criticism. I still think we got a little conservative, and I didn't at all like kneeling with 47 seconds to go and two timeouts which was the beginning of the conservatism..

Agreed.  Marv always used to say, it is not about getting the ball back but what you are going to do with it on the next play. They could have easily driven down for a FG

5 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Really just 3 missed opportunities:

- Dawson Knox dropped a money ball that would've been a big play

- Zay got hooked on a slant that would've been a big gainer

- Josh used a bad arm angle and missed a second slant to Zay that was an easy 25-yard chunk play  

VERY glad to see that they came back with an excellent drive on the first possession of the 4th

The ball to Knox was too fast

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Daboll seems to be taking criticism for third quarter playcalling. However, on top of the constant pre-snap penalties, the Bills couldn’t execute two easy and well designed passing plays that should have produced big yardage. An open Dawson Knox let a perfect throw go right through his hands, and that would have been a 15-20 yard play. Later, in a great play call, Josh Allen missed a wide open John Brown badly on a play that had big yardage written all over it — maybe even a TD given his speed. Gotta convert those. Poor execution changed the whole tenor of that quarter.

Yeah it sucks.  I wish they had won the game.  Wait, what?  They did!?!?!? Oh awesome.  Hmmm...it still bothers me.  I have decided I will nitpick.

5 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

It started in the first half.  I don’t blame Daboll at all. I do think they need to maintain the level of play that was displayed in the first 25 minutes and then again in the fourth quarter. 

If there is anyone I would be concerned wants to be conservative with a lead it is McDermott. This offense could by dynamic. Like very unstoppable. They need to cut it loose and run it up. 

And yes winning is great. I think we are going to have to learn how to enjoy it again!:)

ThisX1000, it could be argued McDermott killed our own momentum kneeling with more than enough time to get in FG range before the half ended

Edited by buffalo2218
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ray Finkel said:

Let’s think of the positive and not the negative .  We are 2-0!

Ya lemme try that line at my next performance review.

5 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That long pass to Brown was a sure TD that Josh missed badly, and you're right, if he hits that there is little criticism. I still think we got a little conservative, and I didn't at all like kneeling with 47 seconds to go and two timeouts which was the beginning of the conservatism..

I understood the call, but I would prefer we get conservative with a three score lead, or later in the game.  What I would really want is just to keep the foot on the pedal until we have a three score lead into the fourth quarter.

20 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Agreed.  Marv always used to say, it is not about getting the ball back but what you are going to do with it on the next play. They could have easily driven down for a FG

The ball to Knox was too fast

I am perfectly fine with that fastball...it was perfectly placed and Knox needs to learn to catch those

22 minutes ago, MJS said:

I agree, but I think it's hard to not step off the gas when you are up by multiple scores. So even if the play calling was there, perhaps the players didn't have the same urgency or focus.

That’s not part of the process. The process should be win. Look at what the Pats do. When they are winning they pour it on if possible. The Giants didn’t do a darn thing different defensively. Mc Dermott should be upset that his team didn’t win by more. IF they had played focused and consistent the entire way through they would of.

Again, I am not upset. Bills won and won by 14. Double digit victories in the NFL are not the norm. I don’t want to see the Bills loose a game down the road because they went to sleep for a quarter and then couldn’t wake back up. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975