Early third quarter slowdown-bad execution, not playcalling

dave mcbride

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The main problems were penalties and execution, not conservatism. 

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This team has to find a "killer instinct" in spite of Sean Jauron. 

Back to Back.  Too perfect. ? :beer: 

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Championship teams continue to improve and fix flaws even while they're winning.  They don't just accept that fact that they won and go home. Obviously we're all ecstatic to be 2-0. But there's more things to work on. 

This team has to find a "killer instinct" in spite of Sean Jauron. 

Yea. Sean Jauron was telling his tackles to commit penalties and Josh to miss throws. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

That pass to Dawson Knox was a bullet.  He’s supposed to catch those, that’s his job.  But a bullet at close range like that is probably something that he hasn’t seen too often. Should Josh throw those with a little less speed, did the tight coverage require that amount of speed, or dId Knox absolutely mess up by not catching it?

Just now, Gray Beard said:

That pass to Dawson Knox was a bullet.  He’s supposed to catch those, that’s his job.  But a bullet at close range like that is probably something that he hasn’t seen too often. Should Josh throw those with a little less speed, did the tight coverage require that amount of speed, or dId Knox absolutely mess up by not catching it?

Lee Smith catches those!!!

That was actually a terrific catch on a bullet by Smith.

• Like (+1) 1

Really just 3 missed opportunities:

- Dawson Knox dropped a money ball that would've been a big play

- Zay got hooked on a slant that would've been a big gainer

- Josh used a bad arm angle and missed a second slant to Zay that was an easy 25-yard chunk play  

VERY glad to see that they came back with an excellent drive on the first possession of the 4th

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

It was 15-20 yards away. No excuses—you gotta catch that in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Really just 3 missed opportunities:

- Dawson Knox dropped a money ball that would've been a big play

- Zay got hooked on a slant that would've been a big gainer

- Josh used a bad arm angle and missed a second slant to Zay that was an easy 25-yard chunk play  

VERY glad to see that they came back with an excellent drive on the first possession of the 4th

And first down penalties on 2/3 drives for false starts that put them behind the chains. 

Just now, dave mcbride said:

It was 15-20 yards away. No excuses—you gotta catch that in the NFL.

I agree. I thought Josh could have taken just a little mustard off it but you are right Knox still has to catch it. 

• Like (+1) 2

Against the Jets the offense was really sloppy more or less the entire first half. Against the Giants they had a little dip in performance, but not at all for as long as in the Jets game. It's going in the right direction and could develop into something truly great. We have to remember that there are lots and lots of new guys on the offense, of course it will take some time before it works perfectly. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Daboll seems to be taking criticism for third quarter playcalling. However, on top of the constant pre-snap penalties, the Bills couldn’t execute two easy and well designed passing plays that should have produced big yardage. An open Dawson Knox let a perfect throw go right through his hands, and that would have been a 15-20 yard play. Later, in a great play call, Josh Allen missed a wide open John Brown badly on a play that had big yardage written all over it — maybe even a TD given his speed. Gotta convert those. Poor execution changed the whole tenor of that quarter.

The STUPID false start penalties contributed as well. Shouldn't happen!!

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Daboll seems to be taking criticism for third quarter playcalling. However, on top of the constant pre-snap penalties, the Bills couldn’t execute two easy and well designed passing plays that should have produced big yardage. An open Dawson Knox let a perfect throw go right through his hands, and that would have been a 15-20 yard play. Later, in a great play call, Josh Allen missed a wide open John Brown badly on a play that had big yardage written all over it — maybe even a TD given his speed. Gotta convert those. Poor execution changed the whole tenor of that quarter.

Not a fan of there effort here as its never safe to dial it back in the NFL. That said its good to know they can turn it back on when they needed they just need to stay on the gas until the end.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think I'm just about done trying to discuss Josh Allen's development too, but he left several big plays and points on the field today as you alluded to.  It's hard to discuss Allen here because he is so guarded and protected.  Any comment suggesting he is not the perfect morphing of Marino, Kelly, Elway, and Brady is perceived as a "troll post".

He made 3 great throws today, many good ones, several bad ones, and a couple really bad ones that probably took points off the board.  But he also did enough stuff to win, 2 weeks in a  row.  I'm to the point where I want to see us play a good team with a good quarterback so we can judge what we really have this season.   We haven't run into that team yet.

Discussing Josh Allen's development is fine. But the 'fans' looking for perfection are annoying too. Brees and Brady have bad passes too. 

Today I was laughing AND cringing at how hard Josh throws some passes. It is amusing in a way, but it will cause some interceptions when receivers miss on the ball or touch it without catching. For passes to the outside though, it's great!

Dabbol had some very good plays. I was impressed. 3rd quarter was slow for everybody. I get it happens but damn I was afraid the Giants would be back in the game, and they almost did.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Not a fan of there effort here as its never safe to dial it back in the NFL. That said its good to know they can turn it back on when they needed they just need to stay on the gas until the end.

Not sure they did dial it back. That is the point. They just didn't execute. Dropped catches, false start and bad passes. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not sure they did dial it back. That is the point. They just didn't execute. Dropped catches, false start and bad passes. 

I meant dial it back mentally, the play calling was fine. It was clear to see they didn't have a sense of urgency and was why we didn't score in the third, but when the Giants scored again we suddenly were able to roll right down the field and put the game away. They need maintain that kind of intensity until the game is way out of hand, we should have put 42 points on them.