Early third quarter slowdown-bad execution, not playcalling

dave mcbride

Daboll seems to be taking criticism for third quarter playcalling. However, on top of the constant pre-snap penalties, the Bills couldn’t execute two easy and well designed passing plays that should have produced big yardage. An open Dawson Knox let a perfect throw go right through his hands, and that would have been a 15-20 yard play. Later, in a great play call, Josh Allen missed a wide open John Brown badly on a play that had big yardage written all over it — maybe even a TD given his speed. Gotta convert those. Poor execution changed the whole tenor of that quarter.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It started in the first half.  I don’t blame Daboll at all. I do think they need to maintain the level of play that was displayed in the first 25 minutes and then again in the fourth quarter. 

If there is anyone I would be concerned wants to be conservative with a lead it is McDermott. This offense could by dynamic. Like very unstoppable. They need to cut it loose and run it up. 

And yes winning is great. I think we are going to have to learn how to enjoy it again!:)

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That long pass to Brown was a sure TD that Josh missed badly, and you're right, if he hits that there is little criticism. I still think we got a little conservative, and I didn't at all like kneeling with 47 seconds to go and two timeouts which was the beginning of the conservatism..

I was referring to the third quarter slant — he was wide open with a ton of running room in front of him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

It might not sound like it, but I sorta am focusing on the positive. I like this offense a lot.

There really is a lot to like about it, especially the fact that most of the players are new. The coaching seems better, the blocking is way better, the receivers are way better, the TEs are substantially better, the RBs are playing better.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I was referring to the third quarter slant — he was wide open with a ton of running room in front of him.

That was to Zay and the defender was right in the passing lane so he would have had to go over him on the pass. He tried to side arm the ball around the defender which is why he missed so badly. 

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Ray Finkel said:

Let’s think of the positive and not the negative .  We are 2-0!

It would be shortsighted to ignore the team’s weaknesses. Hopefully Daboll/McD learn from how their conservatism at the end of the first half and again in the third quarter could have backfired badly against any team fielding a competent offense.

We won, which is great, but we can also continue improving through recognizing our mistakes.

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

That was to Zay and the defender was right in the passing lane so he would have had to go over him on the pass. He tried to side arm the ball around the defender which is why he missed so badly. 

Yeah - Zay Jones. My mistake. Still, a well designed play that would have gone for big yardage.

I take issue with Dabol not adjusting to the NYG blitz every time Allen went shotgun in the third quarter.   The O-line was having a tough time adjusting and Dabol should have called a few screens or other short passes to make them pay for their aggressiveness.

Also, the rookie CB covering John Brown was giving him way too much cushion all game.   They went away from exploiting that in Q3, whch seemed pretty conservative...

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Yeah - Zay Jones. My mistake. Still, a well designed play that would have gone for big yardage.

It would have for sure. Said to myself (well myself but everyone in my house heard it) that Zay was gone if he completed that. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Daboll seems to be taking criticism for third quarter playcalling. However, on top of the constant pre-snap penalties, the Bills couldn’t execute two easy and well designed passing plays that should have produced big yardage. An open Dawson Knox let a perfect throw go right through his hands, and that would have been a 15-20 yard play. Later, in a great play call, Josh Allen missed a wide John Brown badly on a play that had big yardage written all over it — maybe even a TD given his speed. Gotta convert those. Poor execution changed the whole tenor of that quarter.

Dave, most folks here simply do not want to objectively discuss the team or the game.

They are here to be cheerleaders and nothing else.

I understand your points and I agree with you.  

I think I'm just about done trying to discuss Josh Allen's development too, but he left several big plays and points on the field today as you alluded to.  It's hard to discuss Allen here because he is so guarded and protected.  Any comment suggesting he is not the perfect morphing of Marino, Kelly, Elway, and Brady is perceived as a "troll post".

He made 3 great throws today, many good ones, several bad ones, and a couple really bad ones that probably took points off the board.  But he also did enough stuff to win, 2 weeks in a  row.  I'm to the point where I want to see us play a good team with a good quarterback so we can judge what we really have this season.   We haven't run into that team yet.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Daboll seems to be taking criticism for third quarter playcalling. However, on top of the constant pre-snap penalties, the Bills couldn’t execute two easy and well designed passing plays that should have produced big yardage. An open Dawson Knox let a perfect throw go right through his hands, and that would have been a 15-20 yard play. Later, in a great play call, Josh Allen missed a wide open John Brown badly on a play that had big yardage written all over it — maybe even a TD given his speed. Gotta convert those. Poor execution changed the whole tenor of that quarter.

Yep. I have just said as much in the post-game thread. In the 3rd Qrtr we called 10 passes and 3 runs. Some of the plays called were not the right ones but no OC is perfect. The main problems were penalties and execution, not conservatism. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Ray Finkel said:

Let’s think of the positive and not the negative .  We are 2-0!

Championship teams continue to improve and fix flaws even while they're winning.  They don't just accept that fact that they won and go home. Obviously we're all ecstatic to be 2-0. But there's more things to work on. 

This team has to find a "killer instinct" in spite of Sean Jauron. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Championship teams continue to improve and fix flaws even while they're winning.  They don't just accept that fact that they won and go home. Obviously we're all ecstatic to be 2-0. But there's more things to work on. 

This team has to find a "killer instinct" in spite of Sean Jauron. 

No doubt.  We have numerous flaws but people seem to find the negative in good times.  We still have a long way to go to be a CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM.

• Awesome! (+1) 1