Singletary Update??

thronethinker

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Anyone else find the way the Bills have handled this injury to be BS?

He has been out for weeks now, but the injury was never reported as being the type of thing to keep him out for weeks.

It has been "we'll see how he is in a few days" for a long time.

It's BS, and it's not like they are reserving some sort of competitive advantage by adopting this approach.

No but I can see where it would be something good to whine about in a 4-1 season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

He has been out for weeks now, but the injury was never reported as being the type of thing to keep him out for weeks.

It's BS, and it's not like they are reserving some sort of competitive advantage by adopting this approach.

This is also known as a Hamstring injury 

No.  Here's the problem with hamstring/groin injuries. 

You can have a minor strain with no muscle tearing - Grade 1.  You can have a complete one with full muscle tearing - Grade 3.  In both those cases, the timeline and recovery are relatively clear.  Grade 1 may heal in a few days.  Grade 3 may require surgery depending upon where the muscle tore, and may take months to heal then further time to strengthen.

But more common I think at the pro athlete level is Grade 2.  There is some tearing, but it's difficult to tell exactly what degree.  The timeline will depend upon exactly where the tear is (near the insertion has less bloodflow and takes longer to heal) and what degree is torn.  And while recovering, it's easy to re-injure.

I think there has been a philosophical shift in the Bills training staff since McDermott took over.  Bud Carpenter retired (or "retired") as head athletic trainer in 2018, after McDermott's first season.  I think under Carpenter, the focus was getting the guys back on the field ASAP no matter what.  This sometimes occurred to the detriment of healing, and resulted in a player being able to go, but playing with pain and impaired all season.  I think under Breske, they are more selective about managing injuries and if it's critical to a player's position function, taking more time if that will improve the overall outcome especially early in the season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No.  Here's the problem with hamstring/groin injuries. 

You can have a minor strain with no muscle tearing - Grade 1.  You can have a complete one with full muscle tearing - Grade 3.  In both those cases, the timeline and recovery are relatively clear.  Grade 1 may heal in a few days.  Grade 3 may require surgery depending upon where the muscle tore, and may take months to heal then further time to strengthen.

But more common I think at the pro athlete level is Grade 2.  There is some tearing, but it's difficult to tell exactly what degree.  The timeline will depend upon exactly where the tear is (near the insertion has less bloodflow and takes longer to heal) and what degree is torn.  And while recovering, it's easy to re-injure.

I think there has been a philosophical shift in the Bills training staff since McDermott took over.  Bud Carpenter retired (or "retired") as head athletic trainer in 2018, after McDermott's first season.  I think under Carpenter, the focus was getting the guys back on the field ASAP no matter what.  This sometimes occurred to the detriment of healing, and resulted in a player being able to go, but playing with pain and impaired all season.  I think under Breske, they are more selective about managing injuries and if it's critical to a player's position function, taking more time if that will improve the overall outcome especially early in the season.

...great point Hap....what's the rush?......the Fram oil filter guy said, "pay me now or pay me later"......

19 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

IMO the Bills are handling injuries great and we are winning games too, we are 4-1.  We are taking care of our players (as people and as assets).  I think you are 100 % wrong.

12 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Lol. It’s a hamstring strain.... that can absolutely keep an athlete out for 3 plus weeks depending on the grade. 

And/or hamper the player the entire season if not fully healed and rushed back.

• Like (+1) 1