Singletary Update??

thronethinker

16 minutes ago, section122 said:

His rushes yesterday:

4,4,1,8,9,4,8,2,4 this is into the 3rd quarter

0,1,1 all 3 of these carries were at the goal line 

3,3,9,3,6,-2 all when the giants knew we were trying to kill clock

At the start of the game he went 9 carries for 44 yards or 4.88 ypc. For the game when you add in the clock killing runs and the goal line runs his average goes way down to 3.77.  3 carries for 2 yards will really bring down an average but none of us should care since it got a td.  

Down and short scenarios:

He got 8 yards on 2nd and 7 first down

He got 9 yards on first and 10,

4 yards on 2nd and 1 first down

8 yards on first and 15

4 yards on 2nd and 1, first down

9 yards on 2nd and 8, first down

6 yards on 2nd and 7

That is 7 of his rushes either getting a first down or creating very manageable down and distance.  I even left of the first down rushes for 4 yards which created 2nd and 6 which I would count as a productive run.

I stand by my original assertion that ypc won't be a good indicator for him in a lot of games.  He was successful at the start of the game and in the middle of the field. 

Bad O line and all that, but if you look at Shady’s game logs last year you’ll see a bunch of negative yardage runs - probably the primary reason they decided to bring in Gore. You don’t sustain drives by moving backwards. 

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

I'm sure someone posted this somewhere but this is the most violent 1 yard TD run I've ever seen.  

Can someone please dub JR's voice to this:

I love me some Frank Gore. 

1 hour ago, section122 said:

His rushes yesterday:

4,4,1,8,9,4,8,2,4 this is into the 3rd quarter

0,1,1 all 3 of these carries were at the goal line 

3,3,9,3,6,-2 all when the giants knew we were trying to kill clock

At the start of the game he went 9 carries for 44 yards or 4.88 ypc. For the game when you add in the clock killing runs and the goal line runs his average goes way down to 3.77.  3 carries for 2 yards will really bring down an average but none of us should care since it got a td.  

Down and short scenarios:

He got 8 yards on 2nd and 7 first down

He got 9 yards on first and 10,

4 yards on 2nd and 1 first down

8 yards on first and 15

4 yards on 2nd and 1, first down

9 yards on 2nd and 8, first down

6 yards on 2nd and 7

That is 7 of his rushes either getting a first down or creating very manageable down and distance.  I even left of the first down rushes for 4 yards which created 2nd and 6 which I would count as a productive run.

I stand by my original assertion that ypc won't be a good indicator for him in a lot of games.  He was successful at the start of the game and in the middle of the field. 

Again, this is the same for all primary RBs.  They all run at end of games to chew clock, they all get short yardage situations...they still finish with better than 4 ypc.  He is at 2.8 ypc on the year with his best day at 3.6 ypc.  Are you going to go now and back out all short yardage and clock chewing carries from all other primary RBs?  If you did there would be a heck of a lot of them who average 5 ypc or more then.  

I like Gore being here, not about that, but I’m still concerned about him being a big part of the offense.  He looks slower than he did last year so far IMO.  And Singletary has been a substantial spark to our offense both weeks.

Im fine with Gore being out there and in a rotation, but I wouldn’t feel good about the idea of having to lean on him if Singletary is out a while.  He could still get rolling more, just commenting on what we have seen from him thus far.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/15/2019 at 4:40 PM, Steptide said:

Imo singletary should be carrying the ball 15-20 times per game. Don't know why he's not 

Considering he only got one partial season of NFL nutrition and training I think using him less often is wiser but run him until he pukes if you want.

The NFL season is a lot longer than college especially in playoffs are involved.

On 9/15/2019 at 4:54 PM, Bills2ref said:

I am actually on the opposite spectrum. If you rest him against Cincinnati, rest him against New England. The odds of winning that game is so slim, no reason to rush him back for it. 

What a good idea!  The Bills treat it like a preseason game, not do any planning and allow P*ts to bring any extra recording gear they want.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Me too, Yeldon really looked like a weapon at times in preseason, so be nice to see him get more looks as a receiving back to see what he can do.

IMO, Yeldon has one skill set--receiving--so you'd basically be tipping your hand as to what the play is.   

I'd rather spread the field and run four WRs, like they've been doing a lot of this year....

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

IMO, Yeldon has one skill set--receiving--so you'd basically be tipping your hand as to what the play is.   

I'd rather spread the field and run four WRs, like they've been doing a lot of this year....

He does have some skill at running although probably not as good as our QB.  I wonder how good his arm is on a flea flicker to Allen.

Rushing & Receiving

Games Rushing Receiving Total Yds      
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Y/Tgt Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb AV
Career
2015 22 JAX RB 24 12 12 182 740 2 45 4.1 61.7 15.2 46 36 279 7.8 1 67 3.0 23.3 78.3% 6.1 218 4.7 1019 3 0 7
2016 23 JAX RB 24 15 13 130 465 1 16 3.6 31.0 8.7 68 50 312 6.2 1 17 3.3 20.8 73.5% 4.6 180 4.3 777 2 2 5
2017 24 JAX   24 10 0 49 253 2 58 5.2 25.3 4.9 41 30 224 7.5 0 20 3.0 22.4 73.2% 5.5 79 6.0 477 2 2 3
2018 25 JAX rb 24 14 5 104 414 1 20 4.0 29.6 7.4 78 55 487 8.9 4 37 3.9 34.8 70.5% 6.2 159 5.7 901 5 1 5
2019 26 BUF   22 2 0 0 0 0 0   0.0 0.0                     0   0 0 0  

47 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Again, this is the same for all primary RBs.  They all run at end of games to chew clock, they all get short yardage situations...they still finish with better than 4 ypc.  He is at 2.8 ypc on the year with his best day at 3.6 ypc.  Are you going to go now and back out all short yardage and clock chewing carries from all other primary RBs?  If you did there would be a heck of a lot of them who average 5 ypc or more then.  

I like Gore being here, not about that, but I’m still concerned about him being a big part of the offense.  He looks slower than he did last year so far IMO.  And Singletary has been a substantial spark to our offense both weeks.

Im fine with Gore being out there and in a rotation, but I wouldn’t feel good about the idea of having to lean on him if Singletary is out a while.  He could still get rolling more, just commenting on what we have seen from him thus far.  

Currently Gore and Singletary are splitting snaps (Devin with a few more).  Gore is taking all the tougher rushing situations.

I agree about Gore not being in a position to take the bulk of snaps as a good idea if Devin is out for a while.

I'm sure that will not be the plan.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Bad O line and all that, but if you look at Shady’s game logs last year you’ll see a bunch of negative yardage runs - probably the primary reason they decided to bring in Gore. You don’t sustain drives by moving backwards. 

I love me some Frank Gore. 

I have a fairly simple analysis that I go off for modern RB's.........if you can't expect to get well over league average ypa(4.2) from a heavy use RB then that RB better be exacting a toll on the defense.

Shady didn't hand out any punishment and averaged less than league average ypa the last two seasons..........something had to give.

Gore last year had a "big" uptick in ypa for his standard but he also wasn't getting goal line and short yardage carries like he was at other stops..........so this game yesterday really was a quintessential late career Frank Gore game...........you need 10 yards he'll get you 4-5.........you need 1 yard he'll get you 1 and a half........he's a grinder does all the little things well and brings toughness and other intangibles.    Great role model for Singletary.

Gore is also good in the snow..........had a helluva game with over 100 yards versus the Bills in the snow game in 2017 for the Colts.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I have a fairly simple analysis that I go off for modern RB's.........if you can't expect to get well over league average ypa(4.2) from a heavy use RB then that RB better be exacting a toll on the defense.

Shady didn't hand out any punishment and averaged less than league average ypa the last two seasons..........something had to give.

Gore last year had a "big" uptick in ypa for his standard but he also wasn't getting goal line and short yardage carries like he was at other stops..........so this game yesterday really was a quintessential late career Frank Gore game...........you need 10 yards he'll get you 4-5.........you need 1 yard he'll get you 1 and a half........he's a grinder does all the little things well and brings toughness and other intangibles.    Great role model for Singletary.

Gore is also good in the snow..........had a helluva game with over 100 yards versus the Bills in the snow game in 2017 for the Colts.

Also very good in blitz pick up

1 minute ago, Hebert19 said:

And does not fumble. 

And singletary is split wide a lot.  

Gore was credited with 46 fumbles in 14 years (I did not count this year) with 95 TDs.  It did not list how many of his own fumbles he recovered which happens for RBs occasionally with ball popping out and then RB grabbing it as he went down.

13 hours ago, SloanBillsFan said:

One of the things I love most about the current culture of the Bills is that they take nothing for granted. I know Cinci isn't anything resembling a power house but almost (almost) any NFL team is capable of pulling one out of its butt every so often. The Bills did it vs the Vikings last year. 

McBeane & Co don't allow themselves the luxury of considering any opponent a "gimme". That's why this team is going to be very special. 

I absolutely agree. I love Singletary and want him to be healthy. My point was that if he needs to rest a game to get 100% healthy, then I'm more comfortable with that being against the Bengals than some other teams on our schedule. Hopefully Yeldon can step up and Kroft/Roberts could be back as well to help offset Singletary's production. 

• Like (+1) 1