9/15 Bills at Giants Postgame Thread

3 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Yep. That one caught my eye.

Would like to see Josh master the pump fake, but the few times he has done that or patted the ball I don't think it has turned out well - usually too much mustard or he has telegraphed the play to a defender playing the deep ball. Savvy veteran QBs learn over time how to fake enough to get defenders to mistime their leaps. Allen will get there, but I like that he is learning to find ways to create throwing lanes this early in his growth.

I felt that going to that QB sneak again was Daboll getting a bit too cute, but the first one worked fine and the holding on Morse was bogus. That being said I thought the penalty on the Giants for "touching" our long snapper that gave us a fresh set of downs was pretty ticky-tacky too. Would have preferred less flags all around, but I think the mess sort of played out evenly.

Ummm.  He shoulder faked John Brown wide open for a TD but unfortunately overthrew him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

As someone who is, from time to time, accused (unfairly I might add) of being too negative I can't help but think there is a lot of glass half empty folk here today. 

It wasn't perfect, by any means, but the defense bottled up one of the top 2 backs in the league after that first drive (57 yards on the 1st drive, then only 50 more the rest of the game) and at the point when the game was basically done Manning had 166 yards for 5.0ypa. Offensively we had 4 length of the field drives for touchdowns - none of which was a result of advantageous field position, indeed one started backed right up under our own posts. 

People got very moany about the 3rd quarter and yes, much of that was ugly. But the two drives prior to our final TD drive we tried to open with hard play action passes. However, both were blown dead for false start penalties. When one finally wasn't we moved the ball and scored to put the game to bed. It wasn't horrible overly conservative play calling. It might shock people to know that we called 13 offensive plays in the 3rd Quarter. 10 passes and 3 runs. It was penalties and execution rather than being too conservative that were the main issues. 

And then people got moany about the Giants 2nd TD drive and the Bills playing "soft". Again it amazes me how people watch this team every week and don't understand its schemes. The Bills defense is about keeping things infront of them and not giving up the big play. But they obviously wanted to commit a lot of people to near the line to take away Barkley. If you have 7 guys up near the line consistently and you are trying to keep it infront of you then numbers dictate you can't play heavy press man on the outside and you. are going to have to play a little softer zone. The Bills plan is always "if you are going to score against us you are going to have to drive the length of the field to do so." 14 points up entering the 4th Qrtr the Bills were even more inclined to try and keep the game in front of them. The Giants took 12 plays and over 6 minutes on that drive. Yes I think our outside corners would have hope to have played a little better - especially on that drive - but at that stage if you are going to give a drive up you give that sort of drive up that takes time off and not a quick strike drive trying to be over aggressive.

The defense for the most part shut Manning down. It controlled Barkley. And the offense at times looked really good. Allen had a really good game. The Bills are 2-0 and 2-0 on the road. Life is good. 

• Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 5

56 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I’m getting excited about this team. Great win today. But the kneel down before the half is inexcusable. I have yet to see anyone try to defend it other that “stop complaining they won anyway”

Can happen anytime in the game

Yes Allen could have been strip sacked after they got either 7 and the game could have been tied, that works both ways....

I think part of the "conservative" criticism was somewhat on the groupings and the kind of plays, not the fact they were just running all the time. I remember saying a couple times we need to get the ball in Singletary's hands, and we need to go downfield. The Giants could not cover all day. We were very unpredictable in the first half. A couple of the play designs were inventive and worked. That seemed to disappear for awhile.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think part of the "conservative" criticism was somewhat on the groupings and the kind of plays, not the fact they were just running all the time. I remember saying a couple times we need to get the ball in Singletary's hands, and we need to go downfield. The Giants could not cover all day. We were very unpredictable in the first half. A couple of the play designs were inventive and worked. That seemed to disappear for awhile.

Thank you. 

I for one am not having issue with being conservative by running the ball. Personally I’ve wanted to see more of it. Need to get Singletary more involved. Wouldn’t even mind some Yeldon honestly. Where has he been? I know they have to be dressing 3 RBs but I haven’t seen him even once so far. 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yes not all the plays were the right calls. No OC calls the right play every time. I thought we got a bit too obsessed with attacking the middle of the field rather than attacking the edges but the biggest problems were penalties (that put us behind the sticks) and execution - if Josh hits Zay on that which was a perfect call that is at least a 30 or 40 yard gain. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

Thank you. 

I for one am not having issue with being conservative by running the ball. Personally I’ve wanted to see more of it. Need to get Singletary more involved. Wouldn’t even mind some Yeldon honestly. Where has he been? I know they have to be dressing 3 RBs but I haven’t seen him even once so far. 

I just don't think running the ball is inherently conservative. It's one of 2 things you can do each play.  I think it's great when we run the ball well.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

You’re allowed.  You look like a spoiled brat for doing so but you’re allowed.

How can people be arguing after a W?

17 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Except you had no idea if a 14 lead would hold up, so you always especially in weather go for more points. 

What weather? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1