9/15 Bills at Giants Postgame Thread

Yes, there were a few off-target passes from Josh, but it looked a little better than  last week and much better than last year. I'm hopeful that he can continue to improve. His decisions were better. No picks this time and a 101 Passing Efficiency Rating!!!

It started ugly with the Barkley running the ball down our throats, but in the end, they held him to 107 yards, He still had a fat 5.9 yards/carry, but we did a good job against Eli. Can't really complain. 22 points surrendered in 2 games for a 11 points/game avg. Not too shabby, even if it was only against the Jets and Giants.

I still want to see Singletary get more carries. The guy has 127 yards in 10 carries for a 12.7 average. I think he's earned more snaps. It was good to have an experienced veteran that knows how to protect the ball in there, though, after the hammy pull. I'd like to see a more balanced attack as well.

Knox may have fudged a catch, but his blocking was superb. He just manhandled Ogletree on that one play when Ogletree threw him down out of frustration. I really like our rookie TE's and I suspect they will be a strong unit for us in the future.

8 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yes it will....McD and Jauron's style of game management is identical and that scares the crap out of me. 47 seconds and 2 to's near the 40 and you don't even attempt to get into fg range? That's not going to fly. Love that we hung on but the entire 2nd half felt like we were content running clock. Be aggressive and put teams away.

...know what you're saying....play it for 60 always aiming for the jugular......Bills "running up the score"?...seriously?.....SO WHAT..........

10 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Good all around game, one where towards the end of the 1st and in the 2nd the Bills jumped to a comfy lead and yet managed to NOT give the game away in the 2nd half.

There were a few throws that Allen wanted back, but if you listen to the QBs that are now commentators to a man they are saying he is a young QB with a huge arm that will learn more  touch as he gains more time under center and as he recognizes more quickly and trusts where he needs to go with the ball. What I liked is that Allen did not feel that he had to carry this team to win the game.

The Giants got good pressure on a lot of throws (often bringing 5), more often than not Allen would buy space and either find some yards on his own, roll out and find an open man, or throw it away when needed. The Giants took some things away from Allen in the passing game in the 2nd half - he will learn from that.

Allen certainly has the personality that probably wanted to take more shots down field, BUT I am sure that the coaching staff with the lead and the way the defense was playing pulled on the reigns and it was a mature approach by Allen to hand off and take time off the clock. That is something Allen has rarely if ever had to do. It was a step away from hero-ball and a steady march towards maturity. You do what you need to do to win, not pad stats.

I felt our o-line struggled, both protecting and with sloppy penalties. They have work to do, not sure if Ty Nsekhe was still in there in the second half I know he was a bit dinged early, but I did not focus to see if he was still in there.

Our defense did not get a lot of pressure on Eli, but I also understand that they were committed to being disciplined in regards to their rush lanes, kept to the 4-man rush primarily, and were pretty conservative as part of respecting what Barkley can do. They came up with some key stops when needed and kept Barkley hemmed in after making adjustments from the 1st drive. I think the Giants o-line did a good job of buying Eli time.

There were more than a few floaters tossed up by Eli, that I would have liked to see our secondary make a play on. I think Poyer is going to get fined for the helmet to helmet hit although I think he was just trying to stick a shoulder into the ball and the receiver happened to duck down at the same time to protect the ball. Whether it was intentional or not will probably not matter.

Opening 2-0 on the road folks with almost a completely revamped offense. Not sure why folks want to be negative, sure we left some points on the field, Josh overthrew a couple and so did just about every other QB in the league, Zay continues his streak of 0 YAC - he does tend to leave his feet and go down to the turf on plays where he could keep running through the catch and I think he just does not trust his hands and prefers to cradle the ball with his body.... dunno, its a theory.

Knox let one go through his hands, but the kid threw a textbook block that sealed the edge for Singletary to rush it in for the score.

The Special Teams has been solid - with one guy not being disciplined in his lane that allowed one long return, but otherwise the punting and kickoffs have been good and Siran Neal had a good all around game both for the defense and for Special Teams (would get my game ball as I felt he made the key plays at key times that kept the game out of reach for the Giants).

Excellent write up

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Agree on all points except I thought the Giants were ridiculous for not running Barkley until we stopped him.

I agree with this 100%.  

One of the best qualities of Josh and this team is the ability to pick up first downs after penalties or loss of yardage. It doesn't even matter how long it is.

It’s his freakish skill set.  It’s impossible to take the whole field away from him, and he can use the whole field because of his arm strength/velocity, and his ability to use his raw strength and athleticism to extend plays, or to just take off running if they don’t waste a man or two to shadow him.

Daboll designed a bunch of good plays and called a good game outside of being a little too conservative in the middle, although some of that I put on McDermott.

I think Daboll is clever enough that he gets in his own way by over-engineering things sometimes.  I think the QB draw was an example of that.  It struck me as a “Princess Bride” poison scene moment.

Overall a very strong game all around in all three phases.

This is where the rubber meets the road.  It was a strong enough (and exciting!) performance in all thee phases, despite needing to clean up a few things, to win an away game in the NFL.  That’s not an easy thing to do.  

Edited by TakeYouToTasker
cleaning up a tragic mess of error quotes
  • Like (+1) 3

I just opened this thread and didn’t bother to check if this was brought up as a topic. So ignore this or whatever. 

I think the Carter takedown of Allen (replete with a close-to-being a roughing the passer call) was out of frustration of not only Carter not being able to sack Allen, but also a carry over from Allen’s stiff arm/throwing Carter to the ground on an earlier play. I think Allen’s speed and physicality really frustrate LBs who are used to QBs falling over when they are breathed on. And I find it amusing.

Suck it, Mr Carter. Josh owned you. 

• Haha (+1) 1