9/15 Bills at Giants Postgame Thread

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Pick 6, strip sack, and that's the first two things that come to mind.

Safe plays I said. If josh is as good as a QB as we all want him to be, then he should know that a deep thrown downfield so that nobody but his own player can get it, or a throw to no where and just leave it at that is enough.  

But there you are being negative. Am I wearing off on you? Why not super excited and giddy about additional TDs to go up even more on your opponent going into halftime? 

1 minute ago, Chemical said:

I’m getting excited about this team. Great win today. But the kneel down before the half is inexcusable. I have yet to see anyone try to defend it other that “stop complaining they won anyway”

Can happen anytime in the game

I know your post history.  You are negative. Not TODAY!

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

1) Tough to game the rush, because you do that against a Barkley draw and you might be looking a long way down the field for the next snap.

2) The QB draw in the last 2nd was too cute by half. Who knows what they had dialed up for the 3rd quarter? The tackles couldn't stop false starting on 1st down, put them behind the sticks. The Bills aren't yet able to overcome that consistently. Just some of the time.

3,4,5) Sounds rhetorical

They were. Still important though. IMO at least ?

I thought the way the defense came out for the Giants’ second possession after getting dominated in the trenches to open the game said volumes.  After allowing Barkley to run free initially, there was 3+ men to the ball on most every other carry for the rest of the game.

I don’t recall seeing Jerry Hughes turn up all game.  I’ll have to watch the all-22 before I can have a definitive position on this, but it seems like a rare game where he didn’t show up.

I was very impressed with the play of all of our interior d-line.

Our execution on offense was tremendous.  At no point in the game, no matter the down and distance, did I feel we couldn’t convert. At one in the game we had 15 first downs on 31 plays.  The only two issues I had with the offense were the false start penalties (I think I counted 5), and a 10 minute patch of playcalling starting with the QB draw to begin a 2 minute drill.

It’s early, and there will be some things to clean up (our quarterback doesn’t even have a full season of starts under his belt, has an entirely new WR group, RB group, TE group, and 4/5 OL spots); but this looks like a team that has a chance to win every week if the bounces go our way.

This team is the first in recent memory who can compete in all three phases of the game, and man are they exciting to watch!

I hope you’re all enjoying this as much as I am.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

agreed... this will come back to bite us against New England and Dallas, etc!  

However, enjoying these wins immensely.  Would have been okay splitting the MetLife series, ecstatic that we’re coming home 2-0.

Yes it will....McD and Jauron's style of game management is identical and that scares the crap out of me. 47 seconds and 2 to's near the 40 and you don't even attempt to get into fg range? That's not going to fly. Love that we hung on but the entire 2nd half felt like we were content running clock. Be aggressive and put teams away.

• Like (+1) 6

37 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Agreed, but that PF penalty on the FG was pretty bogus......a call that the Bills would NEVER get in previous years..

It wasnt bogus it was the letter of the law.  The difference would be that we won by 10 and not 14. People act like we were behind or something.  We were ahead almost the entire game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just love basking in the glow of 2-0 baby!!!! We did enough early and hung on for a statement game (although I’m still expecting the narrative to be Gmen imploding as opposed to Buffalo rising, but whatevs)—the call by Eric Wood was Singletary is our new 4th Q motor, that’s 2 weeks of him really making that his forte. Josh making timely throws and curing the turnover bug, all around good things to build off of. First time Bills have opened with 2 straight road wins since 1999, per the WGR crew. 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Good all around game, one where towards the end of the 1st and in the 2nd the Bills jumped to a comfy lead and yet managed to NOT give the game away in the 2nd half.

There were a few throws that Allen wanted back, but if you listen to the QBs that are now commentators to a man they are saying he is a young QB with a huge arm that will learn more  touch as he gains more time under center and as he recognizes more quickly and trusts where he needs to go with the ball. What I liked is that Allen did not feel that he had to carry this team to win the game.

The Giants got good pressure on a lot of throws (often bringing 5), more often than not Allen would buy space and either find some yards on his own, roll out and find an open man, or throw it away when needed. The Giants took some things away from Allen in the passing game in the 2nd half - he will learn from that.

Allen certainly has the personality that probably wanted to take more shots down field, BUT I am sure that the coaching staff with the lead and the way the defense was playing pulled on the reigns and it was a mature approach by Allen to hand off and take time off the clock. That is something Allen has rarely if ever had to do. It was a step away from hero-ball and a steady march towards maturity. You do what you need to do to win, not pad stats.

I felt our o-line struggled, both protecting and with sloppy penalties. They have work to do, not sure if Ty Nsekhe was still in there in the second half I know he was a bit dinged early, but I did not focus to see if he was still in there.

Our defense did not get a lot of pressure on Eli, but I also understand that they were committed to being disciplined in regards to their rush lanes, kept to the 4-man rush primarily, and were pretty conservative as part of respecting what Barkley can do. They came up with some key stops when needed and kept Barkley hemmed in after making adjustments from the 1st drive. I think the Giants o-line did a good job of buying Eli time.

There were more than a few floaters tossed up by Eli, that I would have liked to see our secondary make a play on. I think Poyer is going to get fined for the helmet to helmet hit although I think he was just trying to stick a shoulder into the ball and the receiver happened to duck down at the same time to protect the ball. Whether it was intentional or not will probably not matter.

Opening 2-0 on the road folks with almost a completely revamped offense. Not sure why folks want to be negative, sure we left some points on the field, Josh overthrew a couple and so did just about every other QB in the league, Zay continues his streak of 0 YAC - he does tend to leave his feet and go down to the turf on plays where he could keep running through the catch and I think he just does not trust his hands and prefers to cradle the ball with his body.... dunno, its a theory.

Knox let one go through his hands, but the kid threw a textbook block that sealed the edge for McKenzie to rush it in for the score.

The Special Teams has been solid - with one guy not being disciplined in his lane that allowed one long return, but otherwise the punting and kickoffs have been good and Siran Neal had a good all around game both for the defense and for Special Teams (would get my game ball as I felt he made the key plays at key times that kept the game out of reach for the Giants).

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I thought the way the defense came out for the Giants’ second possession after getting dominated in the trenches to open the game said volumes.  After allowing Barkley to run free initially, there was 3+ men to the ball on most every other carry for the rest of the game.

I don’t recall seeing Jerry Hughes turn up all game.  I’ll have to watch the all-22 before I can have a definitive position on this, but it seems like a rare game where he didn’t show up.

I was very impressed with the play of all of our interior d-line.

Our execution on offense was tremendous.  At no point in the game, no matter the down and distance, did I feel we couldn’t convert. At one in the game we had 15 first downs on 31 plays.  The only two issues I had with the offense were the false start penalties (I think I counted 5), and a 10 minute patch of playcalling starting with the QB draw to begin a 2 minute drill.

It’s early, and there will be some things to clean up (our quarterback doesn’t even have a full season of starts under his belt, has an entirely new WR group, RB group, TE group, and 4/5 OL spots); but this looks like a team that has a chance to win every week if the bounces go our way.

This team is the first in recent memory who can compete in all three phases of the game, and man are they exciting to watch!

I hope you’re all enjoying this as much as I am.

Agree on all points except I thought the Giants were ridiculous for not running Barkley until we stopped him.

One of the best qualities of Josh and this team is the ability to pick up first downs after penalties or loss of yardage. It doesn't even matter how long it is. Daboll designed a bunch of good plays and called a good game outside of being a little too conservative in the middle, although some of that I put on McDermott. Overall a very strong game all around in all three phases.

• Like (+1) 5

24 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

1) Tough to game the rush, because you do that against a Barkley draw and you might be looking a long way down the field for the next snap.

2) The QB draw in the last 2nd was too cute by half. Who knows what they had dialed up for the 3rd quarter? The tackles couldn't stop false starting on 1st down, put them behind the sticks. The Bills aren't yet able to overcome that consistently. Just some of the time.

3,4,5) Sounds rhetorical

Plus, the Giants actually have a decent O line and Manning knows how to get rid of the ball.

• Thank you (+1) 1