1990 Bruce Smith's 19 Sacks

TSNBDSC

he was the best player for the Kelly Era, Juice still is the franchise history #1 (yeah i know.....)

Deacon Jones got way more but they didn't count them, just like they didn't count blocks for Wilt or Bill Russell....

On 9/15/2019 at 10:02 AM, Nextmanup said:

That's how I have it too.  I feel pretty confident in that, if measured by some objective criteria. 

OJ is 1, Bruce is 2.  Not sure who 3 would be.  Maybe Thurman Thomas but that is more open to discussion IMO.

Probably Thurman. I mean he was the 1991 MVP, something Kelly or Reed can't say.

Just seems weird to type that... A Bills player was the MVP. Damn, Thurman was great.

Also, I miss the field & endzones the way they were in the 90's.

Along with the bigger crowds, the nostalgia I get watching those older clips makes me proud.

Wish we'd go back to that.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/15/2019 at 12:01 AM, Rocket94 said:

I still think of the play where Bruce almost had Hostetler near the end zone in the SB! What could have been!

In watching that Four Falls of Buffalo a few years back, you could see that this play still stings for the guy. He just shakes his head and says, "I don't know how in the world he held onto the ball, but he did."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/15/2019 at 11:14 AM, BillsPride12 said:

No cell phones, no social media, a different type of fan mentality back then, just different times in general.  You will never see crowds like that again in sports unfortunately ?

We were in a sense, isolated back then. We were not satured with media and it heightened the inagination, and the anticipation of it all!

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/15/2019 at 10:02 AM, Nextmanup said:

That's how I have it too.  I feel pretty confident in that, if measured by some objective criteria. 

OJ is 1, Bruce is 2.  Not sure who 3 would be.  Maybe Thurman Thomas but that is more open to discussion IMO.

Jim Kelly. The Bills were in the midst of a weekly name that quarterback period in the post Ferguson era before Kelly arrived. Kelly helped restore crediblity to the franchise.  

56 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

In watching that Four Falls of Buffalo a few years back, you could see that this play still stings for the guy. He just shakes his head and says, "I don't know how in the world he held onto the ball, but he did."

Yeah...that play, you could feel it...you could read Bruce's mind. That would have given the Bills all of the momentum they needed. If we had Bruce today, many of our troubles would be over.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Jim Kelly. The Bills were in the midst of a weekly name that quarterback period in the post Ferguson era before Kelly arrived. Kelly helped restore crediblity to the franchise.  

Yeah...that play, you could feel it...you could read Bruce's mind. That would have given the Bills all of the momentum they needed. If we had Bruce today, many of our troubles would be over.

still can't believe he held onto that ball, he was drilled by 3 Bills, it was a sure TD if he let it go...  :(

Edited by row_33

To be fair, two of those were Timm Rosenbaugh tripping over his own feet, and Bruce was just the last to touch him.

And of those 19...they were almost all clean by today's rules (one of them on Jeff George, Bruce lands on him.  Doesn't drive George in to the ground, but it still probably draws a flag today.)

And Bruce probably did more to ruin Jeff George's career than any other single person.  :lol: