1990 Bruce Smith's 19 Sacks

TSNBDSC

5 hours ago, Tcali said:

...2nd best...OJ was best in the game for years. Bruce was 2nd to Reggie White

Just my 2 cents but given that Reggie primarily played in 4-3 defenses and we know very well that Bruce played almost entirely in 3-4, that gives Bruce the edge, by far, in my book.  Reggie had a huge advantage always having the 4 linemen front.  Yes, the 3-4 becomes, essentially, 4-3, with a blitzing linebacker.  But that's not always the case and there were a huge number of plays with only a 3-man front.  You can't argue with hard numbers so Reggie gets the official nod of course.  But considering the way they were actually asked to play, Bruce gets 1st any day of the week in my book.  I know I'll get hammered by some of you for this but I know others feel the same way (we are Bills fans after all, eh? ?)

Aside from that though I think Bruce was a once-in-a-generation, if not lifetime, combination physically and talent-wise.  He seemed to play with smaller pads back then so you could really see how imposing he was physically.  He's the main reason I even started watching the Bills (the other was seeing that Buffalo crowd welcome home Norwood after the missed kick.  I still get watery eyes today after all these years.  That's all I needed to see about that city and their fans.  I mean you would've never known they actually lost that game the way the crowd was.  I've been die-hard myself ever since and I grew up in Northern Virginia.)

Lastly, one thing that always intrigued me about Bruce was that he was a giant physically and a monster on the football field but you'd never know it if you just heard him talk.  His voice was so soft (for lack of a better word)  and silky smooth.  He could've been the overnight DJ for a classical music or soft-rock radio station.  I loved that juxtaposition.

All time sack leader at 200 or so, but can we also remember please that he was damn good against the run.

i love you Reggie White, but you played in a 4-3 your entire career, but Bruce played in a 3-4 which I believe is tougher from a sack stand point, and no one can tell me otherwise...until...you know...someone tells me otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

All time sack leader at 200 or so, but can we also remember please that he was damn good against the run.

i love you Reggie White, but you played in a 4-3 your entire career, but Bruce played in a 3-4 which I believe is tougher from a sack stand point, and no one can tell me otherwise...until...you know...someone tells me otherwise.

Amen there!  He doesn't get enough attention for that aspect of his game and he was a force against the run.   I remember so well how they'd double-team him and run the ball.  But from somewhere inside that mass of opposing players this big arm would pop out, as if from another dimension, and grab the unsuspecting RB for the tackle.  Bruce was amazingly stout against runs in the 3-4 front.  Yet another example of how he dominated even having one less lineman a  good portion of the time. 

Edited by Distorted One
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Tcali said:

...2nd best...OJ was best in the game for years. Bruce was 2nd to Reggie White

That's how I have it too.  I feel pretty confident in that, if measured by some objective criteria. 

OJ is 1, Bruce is 2.  Not sure who 3 would be.  Maybe Thurman Thomas but that is more open to discussion IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

Hearing Paul McGuire’s voice brought me back to my parents family room. 

The sound of the crowd at Rich Stadium was deafening on the broadcast. I remember listening on the radio and the sound from the stereo was so loud, it used to drive my mother crazy. I have a feeling this years home opener is going to rekindle those old sounds. 

Great find OP!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

The sound of the crowd at Rich Stadium was deafening on the broadcast. I remember listening on the radio and the sound from the stereo was so loud, it used to drive my mother crazy. I have a feeling this years home opener is going to rekindle those old sounds. 

Great find OP!

Would you turn down the Tv and listen to the game on the radio?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Would you turn down the Tv and listen to the game on the radio?

Oh yeah. My father hated the announcers unless it was Paul McGuire. 

He hated Dan Dierdorf with a passion. The first time I ever heard someone say F-you, was my Father saying “Oh F- you, Dierdorf.”

It was better for everyone with Van on the radio. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Oh yeah. My father hated the announcers unless it was Paul McGuire. 

He hated Dan Dierdorf with a passion. The first time I ever heard someone say F-you, was my Father saying “Oh F- you, Dierdorf.”

It was better for everyone with Van on the radio. 

I did the same thing. Dierdorf was annoying wasn't he! I loved Van Miller, but if I had a hangover, he could be a little obnoxious.

Edited by Rocket94

1 hour ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Great find OP!

No cell phones, no social media, a different type of fan mentality back then, just different times in general.  You will never see crowds like that again in sports unfortunately ?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

A touchdown there as opposed to safety, and we are still going to talk up that 90 team as the best ever in the NFL...

Pretty damn close...it is a game that I will never forget. I believe that Parcells himself agreed that the best team didn't win.

• Thank you (+1) 1