Props to the OL - good play

Cover1 gives props to Feliciano on this play, but this is just a strong display of fundamental cluefulness and competence all across the line, including from Singletary keeping his feet moving and ready.  It's so refreshing to see, and it was so missing last season.

This is 2nd and 10, 20 yd completion to Zay Jones with 4:27 in the 4th

image.thumb.png.057f3d490fbef9e49bf1c30b6d9a83b4.png

And for @Kelly the Dog with his "Zay Jones tacked by Zay Jones" quip, IMHO that's a textbook example of how every WR coach wants a WR to handle a low throw that is leading him.  Zay is 100% focused on the ball, looking it in, goes down to get it, knows the defender is gonna hit him from behind and curls up to protect the ball.  If the ball were placed just a teeny bit better so Zay didn't have to lower for it, then YAC become possible. 

As it stands, great protection, good throw, good route, good catch.  Result 20 yds and a 1st in NYJ territory, late in the 4th Q just when we needed one

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And for @Kelly the Dog with his "Zay Jones tacked by Zay Jones" quip, IMHO that's a textbook example of how every WR coach wants a WR to handle a low throw that is leading him.  Zay is 100% focused on the ball, looking it in, goes down to get it, knows the defender is gonna hit him from behind and curls up to protect the ball.  If the ball were placed just a teeny bit better so Zay didn't have to lower for it, then YAC become possible. 

As it stands, great protection, good throw, good route, good catch.  Result 20 yds and a 1st in NYJ territory, late in the 4th Q just when we needed one

It wasn't that great a route, you can see in the Josh Allen film review Cover1 did how Zay rounds off the cut at the top of the route.

Edited by 2020 Our Year For Sure
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

Feliciano was incredible but don’t forget about Morse, he looked like a damn raging wilderbeast as a lead blocker on them pulling plays.

Agreed on the run blocking

On the pass plays, not a huge surprise given he missed the entire preseason, but Morse and Josh need to sync up a bit.  Watching all 22, it was notable how Josh had to adjust to the snap in shotgun a bit more and more often than one would like.  They'll get there, I'm sure.  Just praying Morse stays healthy because it's a Yuge drop off behind him.

11 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

It wasn't that great a route, you can see in the Josh Allen film review Cover1 did how Zay rounds off the cut at the top of the route.

Can't find this - got a linky, or is it "subscribers only"?  But FWIW the word I used was "good" not "great".  Ran the route, got open where and when Josh expected, made the play.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Route was pretty text book 1:1, he didn't need to cut on a dime. Actually, looking at that play if Zay was lead or hit in stride it could have went much further down field. This is what I want to see more out of Allen in the future, just better overall ball placement. Can't complain though with the strides or progression he is making already though, baby steps.

Edited by Real McCoy

4 hours ago, Doc said:

The OL is still a work in progress what with Morse missing almost all of TC and pre-season and the inability of the rest of the OL to jell as players had to be shuffled around. 

Acknowledged but they are still progressed far beyond where they ended last year at this point.

3 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Route was pretty text book 1:1, he didn't need to cut on a dime. Actually, looking at that play if Zay was lead or hit in stride it could have went much further down field. This is what I want to see more out of Allen in the future is just better overall ball placement. Can't complain though with the strides or progression he is making already though, so baby steps.

I don't think he could have led Zay much more.  But the ball was a bit low, and Zay had to go down for it.  If it was thrown ~his waist he could have caught it in stride and made yards, agree. 

Allen hit some bulls-eyes on other throws.  I think his throws to the right are still a work in progress for him, so putting it where the WR has a chance on it is improvement.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This stuff is DOPE, dude!  Thank you! 

Right? They did a review after 1 or 2 preseason games also, I'm hoping they do it every week, they're both knowledgeable guys.

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

Route was pretty text book 1:1, he didn't need to cut on a dime. Actually, looking at that play if Zay was lead or hit in stride it could have went much further down field. This is what I want to see more out of Allen in the future, just better overall ball placement. Can't complain though with the strides or progression he is making already though, baby steps.

Textbook as in that's how you would teach someone to run that route? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Right? They did a review after 1 or 2 preseason games also, I'm hoping they do it every week, they're both knowledgeable guys.

Textbook as in that's how you would teach someone to run that route? 

1:1 to get wide open  = yeah

why does it have to be anything else but that? Zay was wide open.......

Edited by Real McCoy

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Acknowledged but they are still progressed far beyond where they ended last year at this point.

I don't think he could have led Zay much more.  But the ball was a bit low, and Zay had to go down for it.  If it was thrown ~his waist he could have caught it in stride and made yards, agree. 

Allen hit some bulls-eyes on other throws.  I think his throws to the right are still a work in progress for him, so putting it where the WR has a chance on it is improvement.

I posted this same gif in another thread btw complimenting the Oline which I still think was amazing. Normally that was a 5 yard sack with our OLines for many years!!. I'm def happy about the out come but just looking for "future" which will be more.

I think it will happen with Josh, this kid is not F'ing around thus far!

Edited by Real McCoy

6 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

1:1 to get wide open  = yeah

why does it have to be anything else but that? Zay was wide open.......

I watched the video in question, and they're correct that it wasn't a "great" route with a really sharp break.  But it was a good route, and it did the job.

Where I see progress, is that Zay did make his break well enough to gain separation and come open.  I think most of the time last year, he would telegraph it and take extra steps and the DB would stay in his pocket.  Hopefully with a couple of vets with sick moves in the WR room now he'll learn more and keep improving.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I watched the video in question, and they're correct that it wasn't a "great" route with a really sharp break.  But it was a good route, and it did the job.

Where I see progress, is that Zay did make his break well enough to gain separation and come open.  I think most of the time last year, he would telegraph it and take extra steps and the DB would stay in his pocket.  Hopefully with a couple of vets with sick moves in the WR room now he'll learn more and keep improving.

DO you disagree that if Allen lead the ball to Zay who was streaking wide open after the so called weak route could have been huge yards or a TD if hit in stride? Find other views, that is what is was, just calling a spade a spade.

Allen is progressing and I hope I see more.  So many people get butthurt if you call stuff out. WHY? 

'

Still Real

Edited by Real McCoy

44 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

DO you disagree that if Allen lead the ball to Zay who was streaking wide open after the so called weak route could have been huge yards or a TD if hit in stride? Find other views, that is what is was, just calling a spade a spade.

I mostly saw that the ball was placed low.   I agree that if the ball had been placed a little better (and it was a good throw, I disagree with the Cover1 guys calling it a perfect pass though), Zay could have made more yards.  Good route, good pass, good catch.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Allen is progressing and I hope I see more.  So many people get butthurt if you call stuff out. WHY? 

'

Still Real

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mostly saw that the ball was placed low.   I agree that if the ball had been placed a little better (and it was a good throw, I disagree with the Cover1 guys calling it a perfect pass though), Zay could have made more yards.  Good route, good pass, good catch.

I think you both both have a point and with the current ball placement Zay does a great Job of going down to get it and ensuring the catch.

Where I disagree with the overall assessment is that because Zay Jones rounds off the route a bit - rather than a sharper break - it puts him 1-2 yards deeper than you expect - I think that causes the positioning of the throw as much as anything else.

Watching it several times - Jones sets up the break at Midfield and makes the actual cut at the NYJ 48 - instead of coming straight with a sharp cut - the rounded off cut takes him to the NYJ 46 where he makes the catch.  With the rope JA threw on that play - that 2 yards is the difference between the ball being right on the numbers  and being on his hip.

I get that the final placement of the ball was not perfect - it was a darn good throw in any case - I just think a better route by Jones does 2 things:

1) It opens him up more from the DB - the rounded route allowed him to have that DB within a few yards meaning a better DB gets a chance at a break-up.

2) It gives him a better pass as JA is throwing just after the break - a sharper break gets the ball at chest level and may have led him for a bigger gain or a TD.

Of course there is the alternative that a better route and throw makes it a much easier catch and Zay has struggled with the easy catches.  That placement may have actually forced to concentrate and actually make the catch.

Either way a great play and amazing job by the line - I would have been really interested if Jamal Adams had timed it better - what impact that would have had.  His timing ran him right into the crossing route and that delayed him.  Feliciano and Singletary recognized late he was coming, but the slow down allowed them to be perfect.  I also love the extra swipes Feliciano puts on Adams basically discouraging him on future blitzes.

• Like (+1) 2

There also is a second part to this:

Typically for 80% of the NFL QBs - that throw is a timing/anticipatory throw.  They make the throw just before or as the WR breaks and with some touch - allow the WR to adjust to the ball.

For JA on this play - he waits a bit to long and uses his arm strength to get the ball there.  It is a great read and a good throw, but Jones has already beaten his man by the time the ball is released.  The zip/power throw does not allow the WR to adjust.  The timing on when the ball arrived was perfect - the only thing that I would like to see the future is that he gets the ball out a third to half second earlier with a bit less pace and more touch to allow the WR to adjust.

That kind of decision and play would make me even more assured of him reaching his ceiling- because that is sustainable long term as his athletic ability begins to fade.  The thread about Cam really drives this home - at some point the arm strength and running will no longer be enough (or even adequate) and the mental game will take over.

I see nothing to suggest he won’t be successful with his work ethic and his progression so far, but to me that is the next step - much like we saw with the touch pass to Beasley (and Sweeney in the preseason).

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1