Sign in to follow this  
JR in Pittsburgh

Another important pizza thread

I have been into Detroit-style pizza for the last few years, as it seems to have spread outside of Detroit a fair bit (deep dish square cut pizza in a rectangular pan). There’s a place I go to that does this great white one, with arugula and dollops of sweet ricotta on top.

But a few months ago I stumbled upon a hole in the wall place that serves what is known as “grandma style” pizza. I had never heard of the term. It is ridiculously good. Pizza is cooked on huge cookie trays and is thinner crust square cut. I guess it’s what old Italian grandmothers cooked their kids on Long Island.

has anyone heard of or tried grandma pizza? I highly recommend it! 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/grandma-pie_n_6342942

• Thanks! (+1) 1

All pizza threads are important......but not all pizza is good pizza. I’d give that stuff a shot! You talked me into pizza for lunch! 

38 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I have been into Detroit-style pizza for the last few years, as it seems to have spread outside of Detroit a fair bit (deep dish square cut pizza in a rectangular pan). There’s a place I go to that does this great white one, with arugula and dollops of sweet ricotta on top.

But a few months ago I stumbled upon a hole in the wall place that serves what is known as “grandma style” pizza. I had never heard of the term. It is ridiculously good. Pizza is cooked on huge cookie trays and is thinner crust square cut. I guess it’s what old Italian grandmothers cooked their kids on Long Island.

Come to Brooklyn.

This looks like what is called "old world style" or "sicilian style" around Buffalo.

Edited by Mark80

Looks alright. I’m still going Bocce, Imperial, or Pizza Oven all day long tho 

27 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

This looks like what is called "old world style" or "sicilian style" around Buffalo.

I guess there is a key crust difference between grandma and Sicilian. Grandma is much flatter and crispier. 

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Little Caesar's started in Detroit.  Enough said.  LoL... Couldn't resist!

lol I can't stand Little Caesar's. The local one here, their sauce taste like ketch up. Awful, awful pizza, and I didn't think you could really ***** up a pizza, but boy was I wrong.

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, The Plastic Cup said:

:huh:

Is that like Des Moines style chowder?

Haha— trust me, I had the same initial reaction, but detroiters know their pizza. I like it better than Chicago deep dish. Like EIL said, it’s in the same vein as little caesar’s but good Detroit pizza is much better. 

....used to like Pizza Hut thin crust supreme.....have not had one in years....Pizza Hut restaurants in Roch-Cha-Cha always looked seedy/dirty......one shut down, but a much smaller store version just opened a mile from my house...worth it or avoid?.....took over an old Papa John's spot which was the pits....local franchisee (6 stores) went belly up for putting out garbage......typical eye strain to find the toppings..........

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Haha— trust me, I had the same initial reaction, but detroiters know their pizza. I like it better than Chicago deep dish. Like EIL said, it’s in the same vein as little caesar’s but good Detroit pizza is much better. 

I get Jets once in a blue moon and it does the trick. I couldn’t do it on a regular basis though. I still prefer a good Chicago stuffed pizza as my all time favorite. But then again, I don’t discriminate when it comes to pie! 

The pizzeria I used to work at did grandma style 

Still does

3 hours ago, Mark80 said:

There are places in buffalo that market it as grandma style

3 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

My dad made it that way. The cut marks are still in the cookie sheets. In 6th grade I took a photography course and took a photo of him with one of his pizzas. In junior high I was called to the principal’s office. My elementary school principal had submitted my pic to the county fair. I got an honorable mention.

Lesson: Pizza is awesome.

4 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Exactly what my Sicilian grandmother used to  bake hers on. Was tremendous pizza.

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

Exactly what my Sicilian grandmother used to  bake hers on. Was tremendous pizza.

Pics or it dint happen. 

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

Pics or it dint happen. 

😄I’ll see if I can dig something out from 1964.

3 hours ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

I get Jets once in a blue moon and it does the trick. I couldn’t do it on a regular basis though. I still prefer a good Chicago stuffed pizza as my all time favorite. But then again, I don’t discriminate when it comes to pie! 

My son got a pizza from Jets once with pepperoni, sausage, peppers, mushrooms (OK, so far so good), ham, pineapple, jalapeños, chicken and barbecue sauce. I know, I know....HE ordered it......but they should lose their pizza making rights for making it! Toss his a$$ out on the curb and tell him that while the bar may be low, they have SOME standards!  He was quite proud of himself, while I was disgusted! 🤮

BTW, thanks to JR I had pizza for lunch today after a 2 week vacation, most of it on a cruise. I’m going to need some bigger clothes, but he set that pizza hook in my mind! 

An apple was more than I should have had! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

12002085_505895052903214_454786105547239

O’Scugnizzo’s in Utica

As I was scrolling down, I saw the pic.  I thought that's a tomato pie.  Then I saw the text.   Two weekends ago, my wife's side of the family had a reunion and someone from Utica brought Tomato pies.  Really good, but by the 4th piece I noticed there was quite a bit of garlic in the sauce.  I would have preferred less.

3 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

As I was scrolling down, I saw the pic.  I thought that's a tomato pie.  Then I saw the text.   Two weekends ago, my wife's side of the family had a reunion and someone from Utica brought Tomato pies.  Really good, but by the 4th piece I noticed there was quite a bit of garlic in the sauce.  I would have preferred less.

O’scugnizzo’s Pizza is a little unusual because they put extra sauce on top of the cheese.  That makes it impossible to blot the grease off the cheese, if you are prone to do that.

I like tomato pie from Roma’s in Utica. Tomato pie is usually cooked and served in a rectangular pan.  There are a few different places in Utica that sell it, and I agree that there is usually a lot of garlic in the sauce.  Sometimes they also sprinkle it with a little bit of strong grated cheese. 

17 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

O’scugnizzo’s Pizza is a little unusual because they put extra sauce on top of the cheese.  That makes it impossible to blot the grease off the cheese, if you are prone to do that.

I like tomato pie from Roma’s in Utica. Tomato pie is usually cooked and served in a rectangular pan.  There are a few different places in Utica that sell it, and I agree that there is usually a lot of garlic in the sauce.  Sometimes they also sprinkle it with a little bit of strong grated cheese. 

I think Roma's is where the pie's came from.  Quite a bit of sprinkled cheese.  I only know that because someone commented they like it that way.

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

the fourth piece? 

umm, okay. you must be Italian....