This Week in the AFL #Throwback Saturday

Chandler#81

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Great question. The Merger was a done deal by the time Joe guaranteed SB III. Flores would go on to win 2 SBs as Raider coach.

I’d say Gogalak. The Giants meddling to sign him away was the last straw in the 2 League battle for great players. Plus, his soccer style kicking method spelled the end of straight back PKers and other players performing dual roles as PK and other positions.

That is what I’m thinking. Seeing Cappelletti catch a pass and then kick a field goal, did make me laugh. Was that the year that the Bills won the second championship or the year they lost to KC? I was at the championship game they lost to KC, they got killed.

Edited by chris heff

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Also sent Glenn Bass to Oakland in that deal.

WE WUZ ROBBED!

https://www.si.com/vault/1967/11/13/610151/a-big-raid-that-really-paid-off

Glenn Bass and another player owned a restaurant called the Goalpost, I think it was on Colvin and Eggert. I remember a giant oil painting of Bass in his Bills uniform. Anybody remember what Glenn’s signature play was?

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Fred wore 14. That is interesting that Todd has 14 here.

12 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Glenn Bass and another player owned a restaurant called the Goalpost, I think it was on Colvin and Eggert. I remember a giant oil painting of Bass in his Bills uniform. Anybody remember what Glenn’s signature play was?

Post?

Pretty amazing video. The quality of football looks really high. Lots of down field passing and big plays. Plenty of great catches (without gloves!). I'm a young guy, but I love watching the old stuff. So many legends in that video.

• Like (+1) 2

Great video.  

The ‘65 Bills overcame injuries on offense, and the loss of Cookie Gilcrest, to win their 2nd AFL Championship in a row.  They did it with a fabulous defense.  I think those Champion Bills team would have held their own against the NFL teams and beaten the majority of them. 

I LOVED watching the AFL.  To me it was more explosive than the old NFL.   More passing, more innovation, and more speed.  The AFL did not hesitate to hire African American players.  The AFL got on par with the NFL very quickly.  I cherish those days.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, chris heff said:

That is what I’m thinking. Seeing Cappelletti catch a pass and then kick a field goal, did make me laugh. Was that the year that the Bills won the second championship or the year they lost to KC? I was at the championship game they lost to KC, they got killed.

This is ‘65, 2nd to last game of regular season. In 3 more weeks, we’d win our 2nd consecutive League title.

18 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

I remember the line up on all the teams back then. Now my memory isn’t that clear. Lol

I know! It’s crazy! All the players, all the teams! Now, I can’t keep up with just the Bills!

I have a million of these. I’ll post one each Saturday.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1