Maybe Jones, Giants can learn something from how Bills handled Allen

HOUSE

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Fair.  But it's not.  His stats as a starter, in addition to his two rings, make him walk in.

image.thumb.png.e11b5b230fb19ee9a8b9c63a7b0fdb10.png

Eli Manning?

The guy who besides the 2 SB runs has never won a playoff game?

The guy who won his division only 3 times in 15 seasons?

The guy who will finish his career with a losing record?

Should I keep going?

Look I agreed he is a HOF but its going to take awhile. He is nowhere near a first ballot guy. His defense got him his rings.

1 minute ago, StHustle said:

Eli Manning?

Should I keep going?

Look I agreed he is a HOF but its going to take awhile. He is nowhere near a first ballot guy. His defense got him his rings.

Moon 1 game over .500

Fouts 2 games over .500

Both known for choking in playoffs

Both in HOF

Yes you know he's a HOF..........none of us are saying he's anywhere near the GOAT conversation either........... but he's simply checked boxes that we know would be unprecedented for voters to ignore. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Eli Manning?

Should I keep going?

W-L is a team stat; not a QB stat.

Kelly had better defenses, with four tries, and didn't get a ring.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, StHustle said:

So would you conclude that Eli Manning was a better QB than Jim Kelly?

Yes.  Without a doubt.  Manning NEVER had the supporting cast that Kelly did.  Manning's stats are better.  He has two rings.  And he was more durable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don't think it makes sense to compare Manning's stats to those of guys like Kelly who played in different eras, where QBs did not routinely rack up 4000 and 5000 yard seasons.  Manning had amazing defenses in the years they won it all, so not sure about the supporting casts being that different.  He has definitely been more durable, which is interesting, because I almost feel like people would give him more credit if he'd retired a couple years ago.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So he's 8th all time in TD passes AND outduelled the GOAT to win 2 Super Bowls and you guys think he's not making the HOF??

He's going to finish with probably 80-100 more TD passes than Warren Moon who basically made it as a stat accumulator so I wouldn't bet the house on Eli getting left out of the HOF.

In the literal sense he is not a “bonafide HOF QB” as he’s still playing.  

In a relative sense many of his contemporaries in Roethlisberger, Rivers, and even Matt Ryan will put up similar numbers  because of the era they play in. I think his two SB wins and MVPs probably get him in, but I don’t think it’s a slam dunk given his team’s otherwise inauspicious performances and his interceptions, and I think Roesthlisberger gets in first. I also wonder if Peyton’s inevitable first ballot induction doesn’t impact Eli even though it shouldn’t.

I think some of the younger generation of QB are likely to force him down the list during this increasingly pass happy era which may affect his chances in the 5 years+ before he’s up for induction. I would be surprised if he’s a first ballot HOFer if he does get in, giving guys like Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Russell Wilson, even Kirk Cousins time to dilute his stats and possibly even pass him in line in the case of Wilson. 

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Brees wasn't released.  His contract was up & he was franchised.  Then right before his contract was up again he got injured and the Chargers let him leave via free agency & New Orleans took a chance he'd fully recover & signed him to a big free agent contract.  That's not getting released, it's being allowed to go to free agency, the same way Mitch Morse got to the Bills.  KC didn't release Morse & the Chargers didn't release Brees.    

If you hurry, you can just make it to that hair splitters convention in Poughkeepsie...    ?

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So he's 8th all time in TD passes AND outduelled the GOAT to win 2 Super Bowls and you guys think he's not making the HOF??

He's going to finish with probably 80-100 more TD passes than Warren Moon who basically made it as a stat accumulator so I wouldn't bet the house on Eli getting left out of the HOF.

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

Eli is not only a Hall of Famer; he is a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Absolutely correct. Eli Manning will be in the HOF.

10 hours ago, StHustle said:

He went from getting 3rd string reps in preseason....to starting the second half of Game 1 last year. For someone who was clueless about alot of things early on, he looked pretty decent because he is very instinctive. To me, Josh is boom or bust. I don't see him being a middle of the pack type QB. 

I have to disagree about the

( boom or bust ) part . And of course this is just my opinion, 

If what we see NOW  is his floor then he’s already in middle of the pack , could he regress It’s possible , but if I had to bet I believe the odds are better of him improving then regressing  ,

hope I’m right !!! 

Go Bills baby 2-0 !!!

28 minutes ago, Putin said:

I have to disagree about the

( boom or bust ) part . And of course this is just my opinion, 

If what we see NOW  is his floor then he’s already in middle of the pack , could he regress It’s possible , but if I had to bet I believe the odds are better of him improving then regressing  ,

hope I’m right !!! 

Go Bills baby 2-0 !!!

That means nothing based on the sample size. Remember Trent Edwards Floor? And if what we saw now is the best of Josh, he would be considered a BUST for a top 10 pick

8 hours ago, StHustle said:

Eli had 2 remarkable post season runs in which his team took down Brady (which IMO gets him in the HOF eventually). Other than that he career as widely been meh. You and @ScottLaw speak of him as if he is a first ballot guy. Its gonna take him many years after eligibility to get in. You'll see.

He's absolutely going to be top-bill on the first ballot.

11 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I don't think he has the tools to be a top guy,

If there is anything Josh has, it's all of the tools necessary to be a top guy.  He's big, athletic, smart, a natural leader, and has a cannon.  Which tools are you thinking he lacks?

50 minutes ago, eball said:

If there is anything Josh has, it's all of the tools necessary to be a top guy.  He's big, athletic, smart, a natural leader, and has a cannon.  Which tools are you thinking he lacks?

All he lacks is the player pedigree of an elite QB and pedigree is not a tool.

12 hours ago, iinii said:

Maybe.....Allen wasn’t the first player thrown to the wolves and won’t be the last. Maybe....no two players are the same and no two situations are the same. Gotta churn those opinions in case one of them sticks. 

Yep.  The fact is, the right answer to this question is always “it depends”. Context, context and context!  

• Like (+1) 1