Maybe Jones, Giants can learn something from how Bills handled Allen

This article was pretty good

By Tom Rock tom.rock@newsday.com @TomRock_Newsday Updated September 13, 2019 6:37 PM

It’s hard to say what Josh Allen will become in the NFL.

Maybe he’ll be the savior in Buffalo, the quarterback who finally leads the Bills to a title and plays a long and fulfilling career there. Maybe he’ll be a bust. Maybe, as Pat Shurmur’s assessment seemed to be, he’ll wind up in the large pack of middling players who ascend to starters at a position scarce on talent but never take the next step to star, to franchise quarterback, to champion.

Whatever happens to him in the coming years, though, will have its roots in the experience he gained as a rookie last season when he started 11 games for the Bills.

“I was really kind of baptized by fire,” Allen said this week, as he prepared for start two in season two, this one against the Giants. “There were a lot of situations that I was kind of thrown into that I wasn’t, maybe, fully prepared for. But I learned from them.”

Maybe the Giants can learn something from it, too.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/daniel-jones-josh-allen-1.36269348

Edited by HOUSE
  • Thank you (+1) 3

He went from getting 3rd string reps in preseason....to starting the second half of Game 1 last year. For someone who was clueless about alot of things early on, he looked pretty decent because he is very instinctive. To me, Josh is boom or bust. I don't see him being a middle of the pack type QB. 

• Like (+1) 7

25 minutes ago, StHustle said:

He went from getting 3rd string reps in preseason....to starting the second half of Game 1 last year. For someone who was clueless about alot of things early on, he looked pretty decent because he is very instinctive. To me, Josh is boom or bust. I don't see him being a middle of the pack type QB. 

BOOM

• Like (+1) 1

I'm surprised the writer never mentioned how Eli Manning was thrown in during the 2004 season.  The Giants started the season with Kurt Warner, lost their opener then won 4 in a row.  They opened the season 5-2, then lost 2 games in a row to go to 5-4 & Coughlin switched to Manning, who started the last 7 games.  Manning was pretty awful his 1st 4 games as the starter then on a nationally televised game vs Pittsburgh something clicked. He was better that day even though the Giants lost 33-30.  They lost the next week at Cincinnati by a point, 23-22 then won the season finale vs Dallas 28-24.  If anything, the Giants should follow the same model they did with Manning-go to Jones the 2nd half of the season & stick with him no matter how bad he looks once they put him in.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

See I see that as his most likely destination. Bust QBs tend to not play games like he did last week. I don't think he has the tools to be a top guy, but if he keeps getting better he can be the kind of guy that you can win with. He'll win games for you like he did last week and he'll lose games for you too, but I don't see him ever doing the kinds of things Brady, Brees, Mahomes or even Watson (in a valiant losing effort) did last week. He might be able to be the version of Rivers that actually gets it done though.

13 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

See I see that as his most likely destination. Bust QBs tend to not play games like he did last week. I don't think he has the tools to be a top guy, but if he keeps getting better he can be the kind of guy that you can win with. He'll win games for you like he did last week and he'll lose games for you too, but I don't see him ever doing the kinds of things Brady, Brees, Mahomes or even Watson (in a valiant losing effort) did last week. He might be able to be the version of Rivers that actually gets it done though.

Every quarterbacks path to "franchise" status is different.  Brady sat behind Bledsoe and learned and stepped in and was a "game manager" type of quarterback for years while he learned his craft.  Drew Brees was actually released by the team that drafted him, the Chargers, in favor of Phillip Rivers and only flourished later in his career in New Orleans. Mahomes sat behind Alex Smith and stepped into an offense with one of the best O-lines and some of the best  skill position players in the league and has taken full advantage of it.  Jared Goff was widely regarded as a bust until Sean McVay showed up.  Peyton Manning's first year was a disaster.

It's so variable.  A lot of it simply has to do with the situation QBs find themselves in.  Who are the coaches on the team?  Do they have an O-line?  What kind of supporting cast is around him?  Will he be given time to learn his trade or is he trapped in a dysfunctional franchise that can't get out of its own way?.  Those are all things outside of a QBs control.

I don't know what Josh Allen will turn out to be but I'm encouraged from watching the last half of last season and the Jets game last Sunday.  It looks like he is learning and improving.  I think the Bill's front office has worked hard to put an O-line in front of him and skill players around him to help Allen's game develop.  I think our franchise is stable and finally shedding the dysfunction that we have seen for the last two decades. 

Time will tell about Allen, but I'm inclined to believe that the odds are in his favor of him becoming something special.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I like the baptism by fire approach, but Giants do have a bonaifde HOF starting for them now so I don't see the issue with Jones sitting and learning from him.

Huh????  I am not in agreement with that assessment.....at all.

Brees wasn't released.  His contract was up & he was franchised.  Then right before his contract was up again he got injured and the Chargers let him leave via free agency & New Orleans took a chance he'd fully recover & signed him to a big free agent contract.  That's not getting released, it's being allowed to go to free agency, the same way Mitch Morse got to the Bills.  KC didn't release Morse & the Chargers didn't release Brees.    

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

You might be standing alone there. Eli is as good as most of the QBs in the hall and is a 2 time SB MVP and Champion. He's playing at an fortunate time where we've probably watched the #1,#2,#3 QBs of all time play in the league simultaneously

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

You might be standing alone there. Eli is as good as most of the QBs in the hall and is a 2 time SB MVP and Champion. He's playing at an fortunate time where we've probably watched the #1,#2,#3 QBs of all time play in the league simultaneously

Eli had 2 remarkable post season runs in which his team took down Brady (which IMO gets him in the HOF eventually). Other than that he career as widely been meh. You and @ScottLaw speak of him as if he is a first ballot guy. Its gonna take him many years after eligibility to get in. You'll see.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

2 hours ago, transient said:

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

So he's 8th all time in TD passes AND outduelled the GOAT to win 2 Super Bowls and you guys think he's not making the HOF??

He's going to finish with probably 80-100 more TD passes than Warren Moon who basically made it as a stat accumulator so I wouldn't bet the house on Eli getting left out of the HOF.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So he's 8th all time in TD passes AND outduelled the GOAT to win 2 Super Bowls and you guys think he's not making the HOF??

He's going to finish with probably 80-100 more TD passes than Warren Moon who basically made it as a stat accumulator so I wouldn't bet the house on Eli getting left out of the HOF.

Check my post right before your last one. I cleared up my opinion. 

I just did a quick google search to prove to you that its not so cut and dry as you make it sound.

13 HOF QBs weigh in on Eli HOF probability (Jim Kelly) included

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Eli is not only a Hall of Famer; he is a first ballot Hall of Famer.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, StHustle said:

Check my post right before your last one. I cleared up my opinion. 

I just did a quick google search to prove to you that its not so cut and dry as you make it sound.

13 HOF QBs weigh in on Eli HOF probability (Jim Kelly) included

And I pointed out the obvious.........he's going to hit the ballot as likely the 10th all time TD passer WAY ahead of a bunch of long careered HOF QB's plus two oustanding performances in SB wins.     It will be accurately argued that he doesn't warrant mention in the same breath as Unitas, Montana, Brady etc.. but there are also only going to be around 7 other stud QB's eligible in the first 10-12 years of Eli's eligibility...........he's getting in whether it's like Warren Moon as an accumulator or like Kurt Warner as a guy who had a couple extraordinary SB runs........or both.........but he's getting in.