Game Theory - Freelund

D521646

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean, that's kind of true of most of these pundits, is it not? so what makes Freelund stand out to you?

To me she stands out because she's supposed to be delivering some (mysterious) mathematical analysis based on some (mysterious) model she has, that we are left to assume has some sound basis behind it.

2 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

To me she stands out because she's supposed to be delivering some (mysterious) mathematical analysis based on some (mysterious) model she has, that we are left to assume has some sound basis behind it.

Hmmmmmmm isn't that what most of the various sites and pundits are claiming?  ESPN with total QBR?  PFF with all the stuff they claim goes into their ranking?  538?

4 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

But can she pick the powerball #'s ;)

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hmmmmmmm isn't that what most of the various sites and pundits are claiming?  ESPN with total QBR?  PFF with all the stuff they claim goes into their ranking?  538?

She stands out as being a (purported) statistical modeler compared to the endless stream of subjective talking heads on her host NFLN.

She stands out separately from the modelers you mention on other outlets in that her results are so very terrible. 

Edited by BobChalmers

4 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

She stands out as being a (purported) statistical modeler compared to the endless stream of subjective talking heads on her host NFLN.

She stands out separately from the modelers you mention on other outlets in that her results are so very terrible. 

I dunno, have you done a head to head?  You sure their results aren't just as terrible?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

If she repeatedly used the term BillsMafia, but still sucked at predictions, would that make her more likeable? ?

Anyone, especially professional "journalists" who repeatedly uses "Bill's Mafia", is a ***** Tool.

2 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

She's terrible.  She's overly stat minded and doesn't offer anything else that's not stat minded.  I usually turn her off.  I listen to almost anyone else except her and Colin Cowherd.  AND Mike Schopp.

You do realise her job is to only look at stats, right?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Freelund and her segment on NFLN has been discussed a couple of months ago.  She's not much different than any other expert (analytic, coach, retired pro, etc) who makes predictions on any other network.

I mean, I'd rather watch her than Michael Irvin.  Amirite?

Edited by Happy Gilmore

7 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

But analytics sounds a lot better than guessing.

She’s a very smart person as far as the math goes. However... you’re right her models and subsequent predictions haven't been great. She’s not “guessing” her models may just be trash.

8 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

She’s a very smart person as far as the math goes. However... you’re right her models and subsequent predictions haven't been great. She’s not “guessing” her models may just be trash.

The problem with mathematical models is they are very reliant on prior performance. And the NFL is such an 'any given sunday' league.  Her job isn't necessarily to be right. It is to apply a mathematical model to predictions as a contrast against the 3 guys on the panel applying more traditional NFL thinking. 

• Like (+1) 1