Is Cam Newton Done

prissythecat

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It’s football, entertainment and not that important. Fans want to root for players they like, and the unimportance of football makes it easier to be picky. If I don’t like a player’s personality, I’m probably not a big fan of theirs. We don’t root for politicians, we vote for them. 

Self confidence , even cockiness can be great for athletes. No need to look like 1970s Elton John or something at the presser, or have weird verbal interactions with the media. 

Well that kind of self expression is nothing new. There have always been "colorful" athletes. Some guys can pull it off without any criticism. The world is far more analytical and therapeutic today...everyone is under the microscope with more scrutiny today.

52 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He was souring on him during the SB run? Sounds like he had an agenda to never like Cam in the first place.

He been hurt and tried to play through it.  It’s stupid the amount of hate he gets.  He was off to one of the best starts of his career last year before he got hurt.  If healthy, he would be a huge upgrade to a few SB teams. Hell a Mitchell T for Cam trade would make a lot of sense. The more Allen plays, the less special he looks.  Be a greAt fresh start for both players. 

AFL, why he is a clown? Because he dress weird? He does a lot for the community down there and has be a pretty model citizen in the nfl. Not trying to be overly PC but clown is a word that gets thrown around a lot.  Antonio Brown is a clown.  Cam is a warrior who plays through a lot of pain and had his body break down. 

..just a matter of opinion my friend.....I prefer a player who draws attention to himself ON THE FIELD versus off of it......a well performing player does not need off the field or presser theatrics IMO for additional attention.....but respectful disagreement is what makes this place work for all bud.....:thumbsup:

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..just a matter of opinion my friend.....I prefer a player who draws attention to himself ON THE FIELD versus off of it......a well performing player does not need off the field or presser theatrics IMO for additional attention.....but respectful disagreement is what makes this place work for all bud.....:thumbsup:

This is nothing new. We will continue to see players such as Newton. Sometimes a necessary part of the food chain to keep things in perspective.

3 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

This is nothing new. We will continue to see players such as Newton. Sometimes a necessary part of the food chain to keep things in perspective.

...damn you're good......and DEAD on.........:thumbsup:...exactly why I like Allen's humility and respect for the game versus others (you know the names)....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

19 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...damn you're good......and DEAD on.........:thumbsup:...exactly why I like Allen's humility and respect for the game versus others (you know the names)....

I generally think Allen is a humble guy but he definitely has flexed after big plays.  Rodgers did the title belt thing. Brady screams after tds.  It’s a game. Have fun as long as you’re disrespecting someone.

but you definitely are a JOhnny Unitas flattop, no facial hair, no excitement type of guy, huh?  But I would be boring if we all liked the same thing. I think it would have been awesome to see old videos of Johnny U doing the electric slide after scoring. 

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I generally think Allen is a humble guy but he definitely has flexed after big plays.  Rodgers did the title belt thing. Brady screams after tds.  It’s a game. Have fun as long as you’re disrespecting someone.

but you definitely are a JOhnny Unitas flattop, no facial hair, no excitement type of guy, huh?  But I would be boring if we all liked the same thing. I think it would have been awesome to see old videos of Johnny U doing the electric slide after scoring. 

I actually don't think Allen is particularly humble, and I'm fine with that. I would say he's as cocky as anyone ON the field. You can tell he does a lot of talking. 

You show me a great QB with zero swagger and I'll show you a 1960's sports encyclopedia. Even those guys were probably cocky S.O.B's. Just didn't hear about it sans social media and such. 

It requires a MASSIVE ego to play QB in the NFL.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It’s football, entertainment and not that important. Fans want to root for players they like, and the unimportance of football makes it easier to be picky. If I don’t like a player’s personality, I’m probably not a big fan of theirs. We don’t root for politicians, we vote for them. 

Self confidence , even cockiness can be great for athletes. No need to look like 1970s Elton John or something at the presser, or have weird verbal interactions with the media. 

I 100% agree Cam dresses like a weirdo. So does Brady and a bunch of athletes.  And a bunch of politicians constantly are aggressive in their anger towards the media.  I think it’s pathetic where we live in a world where we want a 30 year old football player to be more mature than a 70 year old politician.  It’s really bizarre to me.

but I respect your opinion. I think a healthy Cam  an have a nice rebirth on another team. I guess we’ll see next year. 

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I actually don't think Allen is particularly humble, and I'm fine with that. I would say he's as cocky as anyone ON the field. You can tell he does a lot of talking. 

You show me a great QB with zero swagger and I'll show you a 1960's sports encyclopedia. Even those guys were probably cocky S.O.B's. Just didn't hear about it sans social media and such. 

It requires a MASSIVE ego to play QB in the NFL.

Agree a 100%.  To be a great athlete, you have to be insanely cocky. Self doubt will kill you.  I loved EJ but he cared himself with no confidence.  I think a little more swagger might have made him a better player as crazy as it seems. 

3 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

that damned Gardener Minshew!!!

I just wish Gardener would stop trying to show off and focus on the game! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agree a 100%.  To be a great athlete, you have to be insanely cocky. Self doubt will kill you.  I loved EJ but he cared himself with no confidence.  I think a little more swagger might have made him a better player as crazy as it seems. 

I love Gardner Minshew for his odd, attention seeking wardrobe/persona, but I HATE Cam Newton for his odd, attention seeking wardrobe/persona. Makes sense.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I 100% agree Cam dresses like a weirdo. So does Brady and a bunch of athletes.  And a bunch of politicians constantly are aggressive in their anger towards the media.  I think it’s pathetic where we live in a world where we want a 30 year old football player to be more mature than a 70 year old politician.  It’s really bizarre to me.

but I respect your opinion. I think a healthy Cam  an have a nice rebirth on another team. I guess we’ll see next year. 

Many politicians are jokes so I expect players to be more mature.  And to be able to find happy ending without paying for it.

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hard to show off on bench.

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think you need good genes personally.  You need to play with confidence, lead by example, and constantly work hard on improving your craft.  Kurt Warner, Russell Wilson, Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees come to mind if you want to look only at QB's.  You don't need to be insanely cocky.  You can be but it's not a necessity.  

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I think you need good genes personally.  You need to play with confidence, lead by example, and constantly work hard on improving your craft.  Kurt Warner, Russell Wilson, Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees come to mind if you want to look only at QB's.  You don't need to be insanely cocky.  You can be but it's not a necessity.  

Good post. Obviously there’s a fine line between cocky and confidence.  In a weird way, I think this is the best thing for Cam.  If the Bears get him, they are instantly a SB contender again. 

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Good post. Obviously there’s a fine line between cocky and confidence.  In a weird way, I think this is the best thing for Cam.  If the Bears get him, they are instantly a SB contender again. 

If he comes back healthy and plays the way he did at the start of last year before the shoulder injury.  It's a roll of the dice for whoever takes a chance on him.  I personally think he stays in Carolina as Kyle Allen will prove not to be the answer.  I've watched him struggle against above average (Titans, Jags) to superior defenses (49ers).

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Many politicians are jokes so I expect players to be more mature.  And to be able to find happy ending without paying for it.

Hard to show off on bench.

I agree with politicians being jokes but I’d say their jobs are supposed to be more important (much rather be an athlete).  

but I think people expect too much from athletes.  Like they shouldn’t get mad when they get attacked on social media. Or they should be these emotionless robots.  As long as athlete isn’t a bad person off the field, I generally don’t care what they say, wear, or do.

45 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

.any idea how many planes missed the Baltimore Washington International runway and taxied in on that "flat top"?....LMAO.....