Is Cam Newton Done

prissythecat

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He was having one of the best seasons of his career last year before the injuries caught up.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NewtCa00.htm

i guess I’m the minority but I still think when healthy, he’s a good qb.  He just May never be healthy again.  It’s also why Allen needs to be careful as a runner. 

Yes, one of his best seasons but he wasn't in the top 10 of any passing category.   By modern standards it was an average season -- nothing special.  And a losing record.

I've seen him look great and pull games out of his ass single handedly.  But I've also seen a lot of very mediocre play.  That's who he is....ups and downs.  And the former are getting less frequent as the years go by.

32 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Kyle Allen is a backup , game manager playing with a D and rushing attack that is making his life easy. 7 takeaways by the Panthers D on Sunday!!!

Cam is supposed to start practicing next week. The consensus here is he will sit the San Fran game and come back, at the earliest , the game after. It will depend on how his foot reacts to practice as a Lis Franc is a tricky injury to heal.

Healthy Cam’s ceiling is stratosphericly higher than Kyle Allen’s. 
     IF, Allen destroys the San Fran D it might go differently but the Panthers want to see Cam so they can decide which direction to go in next year.

If Cam truly has a Lisfranc injury and has not had fixation (surgery), practicing next week and coming back after the SF game would be a pretty aggressive schedule.

Where's @Mr. WEO

The info I have says non-surgical treatment of a lisfranc is non-weight-bearing casting for 6 weeks.  Now I'm sure Cam has access to SOFTA treatment like 0g treadmills and so forth, but he went out Sept 12, so 6 weeks of casting would have the cast come off Oct 27.  Then he's got to rehab the muscles to avoid re-injury and get back into playing shape.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If Cam truly has a Lisfranc injury and has not had fixation (surgery), practicing next week and coming back after the SF game would be a pretty aggressive schedule.

Where's @Mr. WEO

The info I have says non-surgical treatment of a lisfranc is non-weight-bearing casting for 6 weeks.  Now I'm sure Cam has access to SOFTA treatment like 0g treadmills and so forth, but he went out Sept 12, so 6 weeks of casting would have the cast come off Oct 27.  Then he's got to rehab the muscles to avoid re-injury and get back into playing shape.

Just reporting what I’m hearing on WFNZ in Charlotte. 
    No one has set a time to play just that he is to resume practice. 
    I originally tried to post this in the Cam Trade thread it was shut down as I was writing it so I copy/ pasted here.

Edited by Buffalo Boy

4 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Kyle Allen is a backup , game manager playing with a D and rushing attack that is making his life easy. 7 takeaways by the Panthers D on Sunday!!!

Cam is supposed to start practicing next week. The consensus here is he will sit the San Fran game and come back, at the earliest , the game after. It will depend on how his foot reacts to practice as a Lis Franc is a tricky injury to heal.

Healthy Cam’s ceiling is stratosphericly higher than Kyle Allen’s. 
     IF, Allen destroys the San Fran D it might go differently but the Panthers want to see Cam so they can decide which direction to go in next year.

The way the offense and team is playing they are not changing.  He is not him now but Brady back in the day was in the same situation.  Game manager but winning games.  Bledsoe came back boom on the bench.  That was a massive deal at the time.  MVP caliber seasons.  Bledsoe lead the franchise to the Super Bowl 4 years prior.  Very similar parallels.  Cam has good football in him.  How much?  Idk.  Allen would have to play very bad to go to Cam.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported last week that Newton has been frustrated with how slowly his injury was healing. He visited foot expert Dr. Robert Anderson on Friday to get more options on his recovery, and as Hurney said, the news wasn’t encouraging

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-panthers-place-cam-newton-on-ir-ending-his-season-183608743.html

On 11/5/2019 at 2:08 PM, SlimShady'sGhost said:

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported last week that Newton has been frustrated with how slowly his injury was healing. He visited foot expert Dr. Robert Anderson on Friday to get more options on his recovery, and as Hurney said, the news wasn’t encouraging

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-panthers-place-cam-newton-on-ir-ending-his-season-183608743.html

Saying Newton to IR on Tues.  Didn't see this elsewhere.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/panthers/2019/11/05/cam-newton-injury-carolina-panthers-injured-reserve/4166775002/

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/05/panthers-cam-newton-injured-reserve-2019-season-over/

On 10/16/2019 at 5:31 AM, HiddenInLight said:

My brother in law is a Panthers fan and has been saying it's about time to move on from cam since last year.  He was already souring on him during the superbowl run.

Your brother in law was souring on an MVP QB who lead the Panthers to the Superbowl? That seems odd.

I think he's taken too many hits and will never get back to where he was, but I can't imagine being displeased during the SB run.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I used to like Cam alright, but my first REAL exposure to what kind of person he is was this preseason when we had joint practices and then the preseason game. Before that I always questioned his leadership because how he would mope on the sidelines in bad games and during press conferences, but I always thought the criticism was overblown.

But after this preseason, by opinion has changed.

What. A. Tool. He is the most narcissistic fool I have seen. Always chirping. He's a dog that's all bark and no bite. Now I can't stand him. I can see trash talking during a game, but all day during practice? While standing on the sidelines? Everything that comes from his mouth is just bloviated foolishness.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Your brother in law was souring on an MVP QB who lead the Panthers to the Superbowl? That seems odd.

I think he's taken too many hits and will never get back to where he was, but I can't imagine being displeased during the SB run.

Cam, similar to Andrew Luck, is another example of a franchise mismanaging an injured QB to their and his long-term detriment.

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

I used to like Cam alright, but my first REAL exposure to what kind of person he is was this preseason when we had joint practices and then the preseason game. Before that I always questioned his leadership because how he would mope on the sidelines in bad games and during press conferences, but I always thought the criticism was overblown.

What. A. Tool. He is the most narcissistic fool I have seen. Always chirping. He's a dog that's all bark and no bite. Now I can't stand him. I can see trash talking during a game, but all day during practice? While standing on the sidelines? Everything that comes from his mouth is just bloviated foolishness.

I dunno how the chirping comes across to the players, but I must admire a poster who uses the phrase "bloviated foolishness"

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

So this pretty much seals the deal. Once Cam is cut in the offseason, he will come here to back up Allen

Cam's not the type to accept a backup role. Plus, even if he leaves Carolina there's another team out there that will give him a big contract and a starting job. One such team is the Miami Dolphins. But I'm sure there are others. Washington Redskins, perhaps.

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

Cam's not the type to accept a backup role. Plus, even if he leaves Carolina there's another team out there that will give him a big contract and a starting job. One such team is the Miami Dolphins. But I'm sure there are others. Washington Redskins, perhaps.

I was joking...

On 9/24/2019 at 12:31 PM, VW82 said:

I think he's done in Carolina. Vick called it first and I agree with him. Cam needs to sit out the full year and maybe more. He'll come back and be good again if he does that. Football is a rough sport.  

sitting out for a year might be his best option. I've always liked him and think he's a very special talent. He never had much of a supporting cast outside of Greg Olsen and McCaffrey. He's been way overused as a short yardage back though and it may have prematurely ended his career. 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

A big contract for an old, disillusioned, broken down Cam Newton?  I guess anything is possible.

This is a guy who's great when everything is running in his favor.  But once anything starts to go wrong, he has no fortitude.  A mental midget. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, MJS said:

ive never liked him so this isn't surprising to me.