Is Cam Newton Done

prissythecat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had been looking for the below old thread from seasons back.   It wasn't  easy to find since the original poster did a name change.     But here is a great blast from the past from Maury who now posts under a different identity .   

Always  entertaining to read Maury's takes on QBs  as Cam is now probably done and will be a mere footnote in NFL while   Fitz  will continue to be a  relevant QB  .

On 9/13/2019 at 8:43 AM, prissythecat said:

After 2015 ,  Cam has had 2 bad seasons and 1 "ok"  season.   Injury  and loss of key players (Josh Norman cough cough) may be cited as reasons for  the sub par succeeding seasons.   But after last night's loss in which Cam often missed easy throws to open receivers and couldn't  gain positive yardage on carries, one wonders if Cam has any way to adjust to a game after his physical abilities may have gone into a steep decline.  More traditional pocket QBs can compensate as they age / decline because they know how to read a defense and can use their remaining physical abilities to their fullest.

Prissy, I think you should merge this with your other bizarre thread about Mariota, and title it: "Should the Panthers and Titans trade Quarterbacks?"

39 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Prissy, I think you should merge this with your other bizarre thread about Mariota, and title it: "Should the Panthers and Titans trade Quarterbacks?"

Why would the Titans want to trade for a broken RB masquerading as a QB?   The Panthers look like they may have their QB of the future in Kyle Allen .  While the Titans may just tank for a QB by playing Tannehill.

On 9/13/2019 at 10:43 AM, prissythecat said:

After 2015 ,  Cam has had 2 bad seasons and 1 "ok"  season.   Injury  and loss of key players (Josh Norman cough cough) may be cited as reasons for  the sub par succeeding seasons.   But after last night's loss in which Cam often missed easy throws to open receivers and couldn't  gain positive yardage on carries, one wonders if Cam has any way to adjust to a game after his physical abilities may have gone into a steep decline.  More traditional pocket QBs can compensate as they age / decline because they know how to read a defense and can use their remaining physical abilities to their fullest.

And this is Bills related because?

Matt Ryan and Cam Newton

2 men whose MVP seasons and subsequent careers were ruined by a Super Bowl loss

Matt Ryan is the worst situation. That was a resounding win that he blew. At least Cam got blown out, so no chance to get his hopes up 

Neither guy has ever been the same

35 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Why would the Titans want to trade for a broken RB masquerading as a QB?   The Panthers look like they may have their QB of the future in Kyle Allen .  While the Titans may just tank for a QB by playing Tannehill.

Well, here I am trying to be sarcastic, and you just go ahead and double down. Well played, sir!

EDIT: Or, uh... ma'am. Whichever the case may be...

Edited by Rocky Landing

41 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

If playing Tannehill were a successful strategy to tank for a QB, why wouldn't the Dolphins have done it?

I think Cam could have been much better than he has been in the league. He is his own worst enemy. Chirps way too much and puts a target on himself doing so, and then when things don't go well for him he shuts down and puts a towel over his head as he sulks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Cheaper to pay for a guy on a rookie wage scale?  ?

A second round pick plus $7M guaranteed to Fitzpatrick.  In addition they have $18M dead cap on the books for Tannehill.

No, cheaper wasn't a factor.

4 minutes ago, JoeF said:

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/831-hits-counting-toll-cam-newtons-punishing-playing/story?id=42831795

Three more years of hits after this article.  I don't care how good you are -- this takes a toll mentally and physically.

Yes.  I hope Allen takes Favre and Brady's advice to heart.

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

^  Boy, the Cam fans were really in victory lap mode before that Super Bowl.  But he's been pretty pedestrian since that day.

He was having one of the best seasons of his career last year before the injuries caught up.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NewtCa00.htm

i guess I’m the minority but I still think when healthy, he’s a good qb.  He just May never be healthy again.  It’s also why Allen needs to be careful as a runner. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes.  I hope Allen takes Favre and Brady's advice to heart.

Cam is one tough son of a B word and a great competitor. I could care less that he dresses like a Russian babushka ?...but yes he might be done. 

10 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Matt Ryan and Cam Newton

2 men whose MVP seasons and subsequent careers were ruined by a Super Bowl loss

Matt Ryan is the worst situation. That was a resounding win that he blew. At least Cam got blown out, so no chance to get his hopes up 

Neither guy has ever been the same

Complete nonsense. Don't confuse franchise success with individual performance. 

Ryan this season;

6 games 2011 yds, 15 TDs 7 ints, 72 comp %> clearly playing at a remarkably high level.

Newton (playing injured)

2 games 572 yds 0TDs 1 int.  56 comp %> had no run threat because of injury completely changing his level of threat.

Admittedly poor but he's had numerous huge single-handed wins against impressive D's since his MVP year in 2015 including @ philly, Minnesota NE and Baltimore. He regularly has 300 yard games despite a very average cast of WRs.

People want him gone because they don't like how he comes across, there is unlikely to be a fanbase in the league that would be excited about acquiring him, but he's a pretty long way from useless.

Kyle Allen is a backup , game manager playing with a D and rushing attack that is making his life easy. 7 takeaways by the Panthers D on Sunday!!!

Cam is supposed to start practicing next week. The consensus here is he will sit the San Fran game and come back, at the earliest , the game after. It will depend on how his foot reacts to practice as a Lis Franc is a tricky injury to heal.

Healthy Cam’s ceiling is stratosphericly higher than Kyle Allen’s. 
     IF, Allen destroys the San Fran D it might go differently but the Panthers want to see Cam so they can decide which direction to go in next year.