Is Cam Newton Done

prissythecat

31 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think he's done.  The problem for any quarterback is that as he gets older, he has to get better at the mental game.  His physical skills are going to deteriorate, and the edge that keeps him in the game is his ability to read defenses, anticipate and make the right throw, accurately.   If you've succeeded as a young QB because of your thinking ability, like Brady, you have a head start.   When you've succeeded because of superior physical skills, you've got to work hard at improving your mental game, because your physical game is going to decline more than a guy like Brady.  

You could see this progression in Peyton's game.   He had a great arm and it slowly deteriorated.   He never was very mobile.   But he grew into a true coach on the field, and that's how he survived.   You can see it in Ben, too.   He just can't do all the things he used to be able to do, but he is surviving on his ability to run an offense and to understand defenses.   He looks to me like he's approaching the end.   

Cam just never was a field general, and I can't see him becoming one now.  

It's encouraging to me that the Bills are placing all their emphasis of Allen's mental game, his ability to read defenses, to anticipate things, to run the team on the field.   That's the hill he has to climb to be a true franchise QB, and he's on his way.  If he can climb to the top remains to be seen, but I'm encouraged.   Honestly, I don't think Cam ever started climbing that hill. 

Nicely put. Good post.

It's hard to get a sense from the outside of exactly how much of a tactician or master of the mental game he is, but he's never given much of an indication that he's really good at that area, and you're right on that you've got to improve there as your physical abilities wane, which they will.

Never liked Cam as a person, but he was fun to watch in the games. Not so much so far this year.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I think he has the ability. 

He looks to me like a guy who's tired of playing football. Same for Big Ben.

I think it's more that he feels the need to protect his shoulder. His legs aren't the issue now, and he's gotta be highly aware that shoulders take a beating in the NFL on running plays. 

I'd like to see a game where Daryl Williams isn't playing like a scared bullfighter to decide on Cam.  That might have been the worst display of Left Tackling I have seen in the NFL in a while...it was painful to watch and it gave Cam the yips on a lot of throws...

Credit Cam after the game...he threw noone but himself under the bus.

Edited by JoeF

13 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think he's done.  The problem for any quarterback is that as he gets older, he has to get better at the mental game.  His physical skills are going to deteriorate, and the edge that keeps him in the game is his ability to read defenses, anticipate and make the right throw, accurately.   If you've succeeded as a young QB because of your thinking ability, like Brady, you have a head start.   When you've succeeded because of superior physical skills, you've got to work hard at improving your mental game, because your physical game is going to decline more than a guy like Brady.  

You could see this progression in Peyton's game.   He had a great arm and it slowly deteriorated.   He never was very mobile.   But he grew into a true coach on the field, and that's how he survived.   You can see it in Ben, too.   He just can't do all the things he used to be able to do, but he is surviving on his ability to run an offense and to understand defenses.   He looks to me like he's approaching the end.   

Cam just never was a field general, and I can't see him becoming one now.  

It's encouraging to me that the Bills are placing all their emphasis of Allen's mental game, his ability to read defenses, to anticipate things, to run the team on the field.   That's the hill he has to climb to be a true franchise QB, and he's on his way.  If he can climb to the top remains to be seen, but I'm encouraged.   Honestly, I don't think Cam ever started climbing that hill. 

Good post.

Simply put, Cam has never been a good passer. A career QB Rating of 86 pretty clearly shows that.

What he has been is a good dual threat QB because he was such an incredible runner early in his career. However, as the injuries and concussions have piled up, he seems less willing to put his body on the line, and if defenses can rush him like they would a regular QB, vs having to play contain and keep him in the pocket, he's going to have less time to throw, and they're going to do what we've seen from other QBs in the past where they make a running QB "play Quarterback". 

As you said, Cam has never been a field general. He's been a play maker at the QB position, which is different. If he's asked to drop back 50 times like he did yesterday, with that supporting cast, he's going to struggle badly. He's not that type of player, and as you said he hasn't progressed enough on the mental side of the game to make up for his deficiencies reading the field and throwing with accuracy. 

1 hour ago, Nick the Greek said:

Took the Panthers to a Super Bowl.. that’s a pretty legit accomplishment for any QB I’d say. 

35 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

So didnt Doug William's;)

You're right that Doug Williams "didnt" take the Skins to the SB that year. He QB'd them very successfully in the playoffs, but that's it.

Williams didn't "take them" to the Super Bowl. During the season that year he started two games. Very questionable if they'd have made the SB with Williams at QB all year. Like  Hostetler's Giants, if Simms doesn't get them to the SB, we probably wouldn't even know Hostetler's name.

During the season that year, Jay Schroeder went 8-3, someone I don't even remember named Ed Rubbert went 3-0 and Doug Williams went 0-2.

You have to give Cam credit for QBing them to the SB.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, aceman_16 said:

I have never liked Cam to begin with.... so I question if he ever started.

Right there with you.

As I wrote in the TNF thread, he has always been a frustrating combination of unrealized potential and inconsistent play.

A "skills" QB to be sure.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Gugny said:

But, surely, you can agree that his off-field attire has nothing to do with his level of commitment/dedication to football and his team ... right?

No I can’t. Imo, it is his level of commitment/dedication to football -specifically the evident lack thereof- which finds him on the brink of retirement, if not a seat on the bench.

Yes, to the OPs question.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

Sadly, the most optimistic reviews of Allen is that Cam Newton would be his ceiling. Let's hope Josh can raise that bar. 

Please, Josh, do not win the MVP like Cam. Do not take us to a Super Bowl. Do not go 15-1 in a season. That may be fine if you’re QBing a perpetual loser like Carolina, but here in Buffalo we’ve been spoiled by decades of excellence, from Collins to Van Pelt, from Johnson to JP, from Trent to Tyrod. 

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

He had surgery on throwing shoulder in offseason and another injury in preseason. I don’t think he’s healed all the way. His arm has looked weak at times. 

He has played hurt quite a bit the last few seasons. He looks old and broken right now. His body has taken and given out a lot of abuse so far in his career. Something isn't right.

He's taken a ton of hits  285 carries in college plus 934 attempts in the NFL which doesn't include all the sacks and qb hits he's taken  Never a pin point passer and never a cerebral qb  Without all of his elite athleticism at his disposal he just is not a top tier qb  To the Panthers credit they have done well funneling the offense through McCaffrey  Take him away and the panthers are a below average offense

One of his passes last night was so weak and off target that Aikman thought it got deflected...spoiler alert...it didn't.  He just threw it that way.  He looks like he is running in slow motion too.  I'm leaning towards he is done as an effective QB.