Is Cam Newton Done

prissythecat

Cam is not the same player he was. Will he be again? Not sure. It is obvious he is playing hurt. Those short yardage situations he didnt try to run once. I was thinking at the end of the game he would bootleg or at least try something knowing it was prob their last possession of the game. I think the lack of a qualified backup is really hurting Cam and the Panthers.

24 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

He was never a great passer

12 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

He’s always been a pretty average thrower of the ball.

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/why-panthers-cam-newton-had-best-rookie-season-quarterback-ever

Guy started his career with back to back 400 yard games.     He definetly could pass 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MDH said:

The only thing I've ever seen from Newton that was disturbing behavior wise was his post Super Bowl interview.

Yup and for the record that was due in large part to the fact that the NFL for some reason decided to conduct his interview in the same room that the Broncos defense was being interviewed concurrently...they were only separated by a curtain basically.

Doesn’t necessarily excuse the bad interview but puts it into context certainly.

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He's missed 5 games in 8 full seasons.  He's played through pain/injuries.  He's endured a criminal number of late hits that drew no flags.  He's never had any off-field issues.

But he dresses differently.  And, to you, that somehow means that he's not dedicated?

Dude.

I'm a big Cam fan, but he looks ridiculous. It's one thing when he's playing like an MVP but he's got to take criticism for dressing like that and saying "It's time for me to look myself in the mirror" dressed like a retired Floridan woman  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, uticaclub said:

I'm a big Cam fan, but he looks ridiculous. It's one thing when he's playing like an MVP but he's got to take criticism for dressing like that and saying "It's time for me to look myself in the mirror" dressed like a retired Floridan woman  

But, surely, you can agree that his off-field attire has nothing to do with his level of commitment/dedication to football and his team ... right?

25 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Sadly, the most optimistic reviews of Allen is that Cam Newton would be his ceiling. Let's hope Josh can raise that bar. 

After watching him last night you'd be more accurate saying Cam Newton is MY ceiling on a football field, and my entire football playing experience began and ended with helping my father stage the local Punt Pass and Kick competition in the mid-70s.

He was throwing like Stevie Wonder last night. It's incredible to me that they couldn't punch it in at the end. I'm still surprised they didn't fire Riverboat Ron last night. When you are supposed to be a legit contender and you lose both opening games at home...yeesh. 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, MDH said:

My main concern with Allen's week 1 performance was how many times he ran the ball. 10 is way too many for a QB and he rarely slides and avoids hits. If he keeps up with this mentality he will wear down way before his time and likely not make it through the season.

And NEVER SLIDES! Every time he runs I’m screaming at the TV “give up slide”

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

But, surely, you can agree that his off-field attire has nothing to do with his level of commitment/dedication to football and his team ... right?

Absolutely, he is a competitor. I believe he is fully dedicated, but he's body is starting to break down after getting beaten down for 8 years in the NFL & he can't do what he used to do. But when you struggle on the field, you will get called out for dressing like my grandmother off the field. 

2 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

After watching him last night you'd be more accurate saying Cam Newton is MY ceiling on a football field, and my entire football playing experience began and ended with helping my father stage the local Punt Pass and Kick competition in the mid-70s.

He was throwing like Stevie Wonder last night. It's incredible to me that they couldn't punch it in at the end. I'm still surprised they didn't fire Riverboat Ron last night. When you are supposed to be a legit contender and you lose both opening games at home...yeesh. 

I can’t see Ron lasting past this year. If they start 0-5 it would be tough to justify keeping him. In regards to Cam, oof, he looked awful last night. Absolutely awful. Missing so many open throws, so many timing errors, inability to finish drives, unwillingness to run. Without his running Cam is an average QB and nothing more. The fact that his own coach took him out of the play at the most important time says everything we need to know. 4th and 1 and the game is on the line do you think Belichick is lining Brady out wide? McDermott lining Allen our wide? His own coach thinks he’s done. His own coach might be done as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

He was never “that good” to begin with in terms of a passer.  He was definitely a good QB with his duel threat capabilities.  But as a passer he never really got a point of reliable consistency outside his MVP season.

IMO, his arm talent was never good enough to over come a slight drop in efficiency.  And now with the injuries seeming have taken a toll, it’s really taken him from a top 10 QB (again, top 10 due to his duel threat abilities, not top 10 passer) to a Jameis Winston type tier.  I’m sure he’s still capable of having some big games, but he just doesn’t look like a guy you expect to lead this team to another SB anymore.

Long season, and I actually thought he was going to make a nice bounce back season this year with him being healthy.  But two games in and he still looks like he did last year IMO.  

Maybe he just needs to find his rhythm still and get his groove back.  So not gonna say he is “done”, but he certainly doesn’t look like he is bouncing back yet either.

Yes.

If he can't run, he's a bottom 10 passer among starting QBs, which isn't good enough to win with at the NFL level.

His body is destroyed, or he's just no longer willing to put it on the line he did when he first got into the league.

You can't win with a QB who has a passer rating in the mid 80s in todays NFL, unless they're an electric runner. 

54 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Sadly, the most optimistic reviews of Allen is that Cam Newton would be his ceiling. Let's hope Josh can raise that bar. 

Those were hardly the most optimistic reviews. You could probably say those were the most likely positive career scenario for Josh, something like that. And again, the MVP indicates clearly that Cam was very good in his time. If he has indeed run out of gas, that wouldn't mean that Josh is also going to run out of gas after his ninth year.

Plenty of other paths to success for Josh.

45 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

His hat game just keeps getting better.

I can't believe no one in that locker room ever said to Cam..."Dude. Stop it. You're Embarrassing us."

Yes.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He was never “that good” to begin with in terms of a passer.  He was definitely a good QB with his duel threat capabilities.  But as a passer he never really got a point of reliable consistency outside his MVP season.

IMO, his arm talent was never good enough to over come a slight drop in efficiency.  And now with the injuries seeming have taken a toll, it’s really taken him from a top 10 QB (again, top 10 due to his duel threat abilities, not top 10 passer) to a Jameis Winston type tier.  I’m sure he’s still capable of having some big games, but he just doesn’t look like a guy you expect to lead this team to another SB anymore.

Long season, and I actually thought he was going to make a nice bounce back season this year with him being healthy.  But two games in and he still looks like he did last year IMO.  

Maybe he just needs to find his rhythm still and get his groove back.  So not gonna say he is “done”, but he certainly doesn’t look like he is bouncing back yet either.

I think he's done.  The problem for any quarterback is that as he gets older, he has to get better at the mental game.  His physical skills are going to deteriorate, and the edge that keeps him in the game is his ability to read defenses, anticipate and make the right throw, accurately.   If you've succeeded as a young QB because of your thinking ability, like Brady, you have a head start.   When you've succeeded because of superior physical skills, you've got to work hard at improving your mental game, because your physical game is going to decline more than a guy like Brady.  

You could see this progression in Peyton's game.   He had a great arm and it slowly deteriorated.   He never was very mobile.   But he grew into a true coach on the field, and that's how he survived.   You can see it in Ben, too.   He just can't do all the things he used to be able to do, but he is surviving on his ability to run an offense and to understand defenses.   He looks to me like he's approaching the end.   

Cam just never was a field general, and I can't see him becoming one now.  

It's encouraging to me that the Bills are placing all their emphasis of Allen's mental game, his ability to read defenses, to anticipate things, to run the team on the field.   That's the hill he has to climb to be a true franchise QB, and he's on his way.  If he can climb to the top remains to be seen, but I'm encouraged.   Honestly, I don't think Cam ever started climbing that hill. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3