Is Cam Newton Done

prissythecat

He’s always been a pretty average thrower of the ball. I think what we’ve been watching is him trying to transform his game some so he doesn’t run as much. The real elephant in the room is their play calling, they never found any kind of rhythm and their coordinator called a bad game 

He certainly looked bad last night. He also seems skinnier than I remember.

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

You are correct, i should have said he still has a strong arm but has lost some strength.  I think his lower body is shot, his legs, that is why he isn't running as much and his passes aren't  what they used to be be still has an NFL arm.

I think he isn't running as much because he is no longer willing to put his body at risk.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

He certainly looked bad last night. He also seems skinnier than I remember.

I think he isn't running as much because he is no longer willing to put his body at risk.

Maybe, I never was a fan of his but I do think he was correct  in his long standing assertions that he got hit without penalties A LOT more than other QBs, esp the name QBs.  After a while that has to wear on a person mentally and physically. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

His theatrics, such as those strange hats, make me wonder if his head is in the game 24x7 and if he sees himself more as an entertainer than a professional QB committed to bringing his best every Sunday.  My advice, drop all the nonsense and get to work or give it up. 

He's missed 5 games in 8 full seasons.  He's played through pain/injuries.  He's endured a criminal number of late hits that drew no flags.  He's never had any off-field issues.

But he dresses differently.  And, to you, that somehow means that he's not dedicated?

Dude.

• Like (+1) 6

Cam never made any attempt during his career to fix his mechanics instead relying on his pure power to muscle the ball where he wanted it to go. I said it when he first came into the league that once he got old and/or injured and that power diminished he'd struggle mightily. We're seeing that now.

Cam's accuracy last night looked like what Allen's detractor's during the draft process claimed Allen's was. Thankfully Allen was never actually that bad.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m listening to Panther’s nation melt down before my ears on WFNZ Wilson and Parcell show as I write this.

Interesting tidbits:

Under 3 yards in the last few years, Cam has run 103 times, next closest QB is 38.

Cam has 22 off target passes in first two games. Worst in NFL. ( Though nobody has played the second week yet.)

“ Tank for Tua” talk has already started.

Bench Cam for the remainder of season( a la Luck) talk has started.

Hurney’s Decision to not have a qualified back up is being scorned.

Luck sucked to start last year and then found his ability by the end of season after shoulder surgery.

IMO, Cam has never looked this bad.

He’s clearly hesitant to run. I say this after watching him get tackled on 4/1 by a single player. In the past Cam would have obliterated anyone in his path, taking on multiple players and refusing to go down. Ironically, that was his downfall. Bodies can only take so much of a pounding.

His passing has not been the same since 2015 when he put himself on the line physically. I didn’t want to believe that was the high water mark for him but I believe now that it was.

Cautionary tale: Protect Josh Allen by getting him an O line and coach him up to slide feet first and DO NOT make read option a part of our offense. I think McBeane have taken that to heart.

I will not be surprised if Rivera and Hurney are gone next year. With their Cap situation, this team may get blown up depending on Cam’s remaining play and who they bring in as a GM.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Maybe, I never was a fan of his but I do think he was correct  in his long standing assertions that he got hit without penalties A LOT more than other QBs, esp the name QBs.  After a while that has to wear on a person mentally and physically. 

Absolutely he did, and it was BS by the refs. There were games he took multiple hits to the head and never got a flag.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

He's missed 5 games in 8 full seasons.  He's played through pain/injuries.  He's endured a criminal number of late hits that drew no flags.  He's never had any off-field issues.

But he dresses differently.  And, to you, that somehow means that he's not dedicated?

Dude.

People really go out of the way to make up their own narratives when Newton’s involved for some reason. He doesn’t bad mouth his teammates or club but for some reason he get the ‘bad attitude/teammate’ label...it’s weird how sensitive people are about Cam.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Cautionary tale: Protect Josh Allen by getting him an O line and coach him up to slide feet first and DO NOT make read option a part of our offense. I think McBeane have taken that to heart.

My main concern with Allen's week 1 performance was how many times he ran the ball. 10 is way too many for a QB and he rarely slides and avoids hits. If he keeps up with this mentality he will wear down way before his time and likely not make it through the season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I think he's due for a down season because of the arm, but it's also the case that it simply hasn't healed yet. He may be fine next season. 

I hope so, Dave.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

People really go out of the way to make up their own narratives when Newton’s involved for some reason. He doesn’t bad mouth his teammates or club but for some reason he get the ‘bad attitude/teammate’ label...it’s weird how sensitive people are about Cam.

It really is ridiculous.  He's done literally NOTHING to have been labeled in such ways.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I’m listening to Panther’s nation melt down before my ears on WFNZ Wilson and Parcell show as I write this.

Interesting tidbits:

Under 3 yards in the last few years, Cam has run 103 times, next closest QB is 38.

Cam has 22 off target passes in first two games. Worst in NFL. ( Though nobody has played the second week yet.)

“ Tank for Tua” talk has already started.

Bench Cam for the remainder of season( a la Luck) talk has started.

Hurney’s Decision to not have a qualified back up is being scorned.

Luck sucked to start last year and then found his ability by the end of season after shoulder surgery.

IMO, Cam has never looked this bad.

He’s clearly hesitant to run. I say this after watching him get tackled on 4/1 by a single player. In the past Cam would have obliterated anyone in his path, taking on multiple players and refusing to go down. Ironically, that was his downfall. Bodies can only take so much of a pounding.

His passing has not been the same since 2015 when he put himself on the line physically. I didn’t want to believe that was the high water mark for him but I believe now that it was.

I will not be surprised if Rivera and Hurney are gone next year. With their Cap situation, this team may get blown up depending on Cam’s remaining play and who they bring in as a GM.

I think he's clearly hurt, but I also think that his shoulder may well heal in time. This looks like it's going to be a rough season for him, however. He was laboring to make throws last night, and it appeared to be affecting his accuracy. He's never been the most accurate QB, but he was way off last night - out of character, basically.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

It really is ridiculous.  He's done literally NOTHING to have been labeled in such ways.

The only thing I've ever seen from Newton that was disturbing behavior wise was his post Super Bowl interview.