Bills RTs: 100% Pass Block Score

DrDawkinstein

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Thank you!

I couldn't remember if it was Ford or Ty, but one of them got pancaked BAD.

If you’re referring to the play Nsekhe fell on his butt seconds after the snap, it wasn’t a pancake. I’ve watched that play 3 or 4 times trying to figure out why he fell, but I could only guess his foot got stepped on. He went down without a lineman touching him. 

Edited by JayBaller10

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

If you’re referring to the play Nsekhe fell on his butt seconds after the snap, it wasn’t a pancake. I’ve watched that play 3 or 4 times trying to figure out why he fell, but I could only guess his foot got stepped on. He went down without a lineman touching him. 

That is likely the one.  In fairness, I caught it in my peripheral vision and never looked at a replay.  I just remember saying, "damn, someone got pancaked!"

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27584726/nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard

NFL pass-blocking, pass-rushing rankings: 2019 PBWR, PRWR leaderboard

Top 10 OT Pass Block Win Rate

1. La'el Collins, Cowboys, 100%
2. Greg Robinson, Browns, 100%
3. Ty Nsekhe, Bills, 100%
4. Mike McGlinchey, 49ers, 100%
5. Orlando Brown Jr., Ravens, 100%
6. Cody Ford, Bills, 100%
7. Andrew Whitworth, Rams, 96%
8. Nate Solder, Giants, 96%
9. Kelvin Beachum, Jets, 96%
10. Brandon Shell, Jets, 96%

I know a lot of folks have said Ford looked bad, but the analytics say different.

PFF ranked them below average too.  

Then again PFF gave Motor a “poor” score too because he bobbled 2 catches that he still caught. Lol

2 hours ago, NextYear'sTheOne said:

I distinctly remember Ty falling flat on his back immediately after the snap on one play. Josh stepped up nicely and dropped a dime to Cole that he dropped, but idk how you can give a 100% grade when he let a free rusher in. Does anyone else remember the play I'm referring to? 

Me too. I genuinely doubt these numbers. I have only got halfway through the all 22 and I have seen a couple of breakdowns from Cody and one from Ty. 

Edited by GunnerBill

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27584726/nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard

NFL pass-blocking, pass-rushing rankings: 2019 PBWR, PRWR leaderboard

Top 10 OT Pass Block Win Rate

1. La'el Collins, Cowboys, 100%
2. Greg Robinson, Browns, 100%
3. Ty Nsekhe, Bills, 100%
4. Mike McGlinchey, 49ers, 100%
5. Orlando Brown Jr., Ravens, 100%
6. Cody Ford, Bills, 100%
7. Andrew Whitworth, Rams, 96%
8. Nate Solder, Giants, 96%
9. Kelvin Beachum, Jets, 96%
10. Brandon Shell, Jets, 96%

I know a lot of folks have said Ford looked bad, but the analytics say different.

I'm really glad that you brought this topic up.  

When did we make the in-game adjustment to the o-line?  

I give our coaching staff mad props because things really improved in the 2nd half obviously and in game line shifts are really risky and the move was really brave.  

Is it a foregone conclusion that we will see a Dawkins-Spain-Morse-Ford-Nsekhe lineup going forward?

Edited by thunderingsquid

5 minutes ago, thunderingsquid said:

I'm really glad that you brought this topic up.  

When did me make the in-game adjustment to the o-line?  

I give our coaching staff mad props because things really improved in the 2nd half obviously and in game line shifts are really risky and the move was really brave.  

Is it a foregone conclusion that we will see a Dawkins-Spain-Morse-Ford-Nsekhe lineup going forward?

In his post-game, McD said rotating Ty in for Ford was planned and scripted. They didnt want to overwhelm the rookie in his first game, and wanted to give him a chance to come out and watch with the coaches, while rotating back in. Said they had practiced like that during the week, so it wasn't much of a risk.

If that is true, and he wasnt simply protecting Ford in the presser, then I give McD and Co. credit for having a good development plan for Ford, and for keeping a capable veteran in their pocket.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Either Nsekhe or the blocking scheme got Allen knocked down but not sacked at 1:10 in the 2nd quarter. It's on the NFL highlights package.

They put the RB outside Nsekhe and he chipped the rusher on the way out for a pass and Nsekhe went and blocked nobody in the middle leaving Allen to get popped just after he threw a completion to Brown.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thunderingsquid said:

IMHO, I dont think so. I dont think they drafted Ford and started him Day 1 at RT to end up being a Guard. Even just for now.

I have no problem rolling like they did Week 1 and giving Ford a chance to develop.

• Thank you (+1) 1

No way they were both 100%. I remember several plays that did not look good. One play it looked like the RT was down blocking for a run instead of pass blocking and missed a stunt badly.

I know this was pass blocking grade, but they were not good in run blocking either. Three of the big runs were to the left and the other up the middle. No success running right last week.

I think another thing that is playing a part in the rotation is how well Feliciano is playing.  Ford is rotating positions but Feliciano was too before Mitch Morse came back. Thing is Feliciano has been playing extremely well at RG.  Ford I think is simply being worked in at both guard and tackle to get the rookie experience at both positions. The right side of that OL is looking strong IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Rockinon said:

I think another thing that is playing a part in the rotation is how well Feliciano is playing.  Ford is rotating positions but Feliciano was too before Mitch Morse came back. Thing is Feliciano has been playing extremely well at RG.  Ford I think is simply being worked in at both guard and tackle to get the rookie experience at both positions. The right side of that OL is looking strong IMO.

Did they play Ford at RG in the Jets game? McD made it sound like he was completely off the field when not at RT.

I thought I heard a commentator say Ford was in at guard at some point in the game but didn't really pay attention to individual OLmen. was more focused on the skill positions while watching the game.  Just basing my opinion on articles coming out after the game really.

Edited by Rockinon

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No Feliciano played 100% of the snaps. 

That's what I thought as well, and how McD made it sound.

Yeah, I think they may continue to split time at RT for Ford's development. But barring injury, I dont see him moving to Guard. That's not his future.

10 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The metric is whether a tackle can hold the block for 2.5 seconds.  I guess that is the magic number.  He may have gotten beat, but he hit that 2.5 second mark, apparently. 

That sounds about right...an OT shouldn'tt be dinged because a QB is holding the ball too long...that might be on the QB or on the receivers for not getting open

Edited by matter2003

9 hours ago, DJB said:

No chance this is accurate. Neskhe directly got beaten once really badly and Allen had to rush a throw incomoplete to Beasley on the sideline. 

I rewatched the game twice.

You watched live for 3 hours and then watched twice again 2 hours each time? There’s a little button called “FF” which means “fast forward”. Try it out next time. But if you seriously watched the whole game three times, kudos my man.