Giants writer has great analysis of Allen first game

NakedSquid

7 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Great article!

Look at the O-line play here as well = just fantastic

giphy.gif

Plays like this are why I love football. The play design has to get one of the receivers open downfield. The QB needs to freeze the safety and throw accurately with anticipation. The offensive line needs to pick up the blitz. The receiver needs to run a good route to create separation. So much that has to go perfectly just to move the ball 20 yards. There isn't any other sport like it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

"Buffalo lines up with Allen in the shotgun using 11 offensive personnel..."

As opposed to using 15 personnel, or 27 personnel or 8 personnel? Sorry, this line just read so weird to me.

haha — it’s not the number of players on the field. First digit is # of RBs, second digit is # of TEs. They don't use a digit for # of WRs because you just add to get to 5 (there are 5 OL and the QB).

15 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Great article!

giphy.gif

That guard play by Feliciano is just a thing of beauty. That is high level recognition. One can hope we have him and Morse healthy for the next few years. Morse is so sound in pass blocking. This is refreshing. 

Spain moves really well in pass sets as well for an absolute mammoth. One thing I noticed in watching the Jets game is that there weren't many miscommunications. Missed blocks? Sure, it's the NFL and the defensive players get paid too. It just seems like this o-line understands their assignments very well on a play to play basis.

I wonder if this also means that JA is taking more command and setting blocking schemes more so at the line based on what he sees from the defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Great article!

giphy.gif

yeah it was tons of stunts and pickups needed to keep that pocket.. That was not possible last year

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Not really. I commend him for getting wide open on a nice route. But every other receiver catches this on the run. He has to go down just to make sure he catches it and tackles himself. 

Hard to tell just how low the ball is there but I wouldn't say it was an easy catch and run pass. I am fine with ensuring the reception.

The other big thing i noticed is Foster was open on his route for the first down as well. It is nice to have two receivers both beating their coverage for first down yardage. That's good play design by Daboll and good ability by the receivers to win. 

14 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Feliciano again stands out as damn good

Stonewalling two guys back to back. Very nice. 

I was skeptical of this o-line going into this season since they had a historically low bar to improve upon from last year but they look significantly better than last year so far.

49 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

That guard play by Feliciano is just a thing of beauty. That is high level recognition. One can hope we have him and Morse healthy for the next few years. Morse is so sound in pass blocking. This is refreshing. 

Spain moves really well in pass sets as well for an absolute mammoth. One thing I noticed in watching the Jets game is that there weren't many miscommunications. Missed blocks? Sure, it's the NFL and the defensive players get paid too. It just seems like this o-line understands their assignments very well on a play to play basis.

Iwonder if this also means that JA is taking more command and setting blocking schemes more so at the line based on what he sees from the defense. 

partly, but mostly it was Morse setting the blocking schemes, which is freeing Josh up to focus most of his attention on the pre snap looks the defense is giving. Last year Josh had to handle much of the protection calls because we had a wet noodle or two lined up at C. Morse is a stud. 

This was evident especially on those hurry up series, you saw Morse sprinting down the field ahead of everyone else and setting the line up. 

Edited by PaattMaann

42 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I wonder if this also means that JA is taking more command and setting blocking schemes more so at the line based on what he sees from the defense. 

It’s nice to see Feliciano show his recognition and a mean streak in pass pro. Great signing by Beane. O-line aside, Singletary really popped out to me. His recognized possible pressure from each rusher as the assignments unfolded, and used his agility to back up the linemen instantly.... Impressive for a rookie RB. That awareness is likely what made Shady expendable. 

7 minutes ago, ClemsonBills said:

Also, look at Singletary with his active feet ready to help any lineman. 

Dropped the same thing while I was typing. ? ? 

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Great article!

giphy.gif

What I didn't realize is Zay had his guy really beaten, the throw made him stop.  Very different from what it appeared in live action.

14 minutes ago, ClemsonBills said:

Also, look at Singletary with his active feet ready to help any lineman. 

Good point as well, that's exciting to see.  Also great recognition as he looked to plug on gap and saw his lineman was going to be there, let it go before engagement to be ready for the next guy.  I can see why they thought so much of him.  Obviously, this is just one play, but good stuff!