Giants writer has great analysis of Allen first game

NakedSquid

I was really starting to get into the article, and then this:

"One could recall that with the third overall pick the New York Jets selected quarterback Sam Darnold, and you could imagine what the Giants offense would look like this season with Darnold entering perhaps his second year as the starter. The fact that Darnold plays for a team in the same media market perhaps adds fuel to this fire. But there is another quarterback who was available with that second-overall selection that is also playing in the same state..." (emphasis supplied). 

I just can't...I just can't stomach this type of flagrant reporting foul! :rolleyes: 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 8

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I was really starting to get into the article, and then this:

"One could recall that with the third overall pick the New York Jets selected quarterback Sam Darnold, and you could imagine what the Giants offense would look like this season with Darnold entering perhaps his second year as the starter. The fact that Darnold plays for a team in the same media market perhaps adds fuel to this fire. But there is another quarterback who was available with that second-overall selection that is also playing in the same state..." (emphasis supplied). 

I just can't...I just can't stomach this type of flagrant reporting foul! :rolleyes: 

to be fair, this weekend they are playing in the same state. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Excellent neutral and unbiased perspective from an opponents writer. I like the Mind vs Arm analogy of Allen. That is something that we can all agree on. The guy is obviously paying attention...at least he is doing his homework.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 2

If Allen’s picks go up this year we should all show a little patience and remind ourselves that the youngster is learning to throw with anticipation for the first time in his football life. Very good article though the writer almost lost me by using the word “perhaps” two sentences in a row.

Edited by Charles Romes
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

If Allen’s picks go up this year we should all show a little patience and remind ourselves that the youngster is learning to throw with anticipation for the first time in his football life. Very good article though the writer almost lost me by using the word “perhaps” two sentences in a row.

Well said.  We want the QB to push his reaction time and make quick decisions, and not let fear of mistakes paralyze him from taking his shots.  With that, some of his quick decisions are going to be wrong and result in picks.  So everybody, Deep Breath and patience.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I just remember what Tony Romo said in the Vikings game last year how he went into every contest expecting to throw a pick or two. In his mind it meant you weren't taking chances and playing it too safe if you didn't. I'd be OK with zero picks per game, but it is football.

• Like (+1) 1

This was one of the best football articles I have read.  Fair and balanced reporting, with analysis (and some opinion) based on facts.  Used real examples to back up the statements.  This guy knows what he's talking about.  We don't often get treated to this level of quality analysis.  Thanks to the OP for sharing this.

• Like (+1) 7

40 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That really was a damn decent write-up from an opponent’s board. Thx for that. 

...agree 'Dog......not something you see from an opposing writer or a writer who offers his "mea cuplas" after initial thoughts....

..."While many, myself included, were skeptical of Allen’s potential ability to transition into an NFL passer, the young QB acquitted himself well as a rookie...."....

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...agree 'Dog......not something you see from an opposing writer or a writer who offers his "mea cuplas" after initial thoughts....

..."While many, myself included, were skeptical of Allen’s potential ability to transition into an NFL passer, the young QB acquitted himself well as a rookie...."....

Yeah, especially since he was skeptical at first. 

• Like (+1) 1