Sam Darnold out for MNF

scribo

14 hours ago, Yav said:

I never understood that hire. Gase was horrible with Miami and the Jets were center stage for that mess just like the rest of the AFC East, so why would you want to bring that in as your coach? Darnold is a promising young QB and you risk destroying him with ***** coaching. The Jets are a serious mess.

Well the GM was canned so there is some consequences to hiring Head (coach) Gase.

14 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Right??   How often to adults get mono?

if I remember right it is more severe in adults.

21 hours ago, mannc said:

I don't know about that.  Siemien might very well be an upgrade...

True. Siemien is very limited, but he's competent, and right now at this stage in Darnold's career, I'm not sure we're looking at a significant drop off. This is not like starting Nathan Peterman or bringing in Derek Anderson.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

True. Siemien is very limited, but he's competent, and right now at this stage in Darnold's career, I'm not sure we're looking at a significant drop off. This is not like starting Nathan Peterman or bringing in Derek Anderson.

He actually has a winning record as a starter 

21 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Do people realize that the more they laugh at the Jets dysfunction, the less our win means? 

Gosh, you’re right.  I heard the league is going to downgrade it to .75 wins in the standings.

On the bright side, NE will only earn half a win in Miami this week.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I suppose this will rack up as "player excuse making", but Siemian spent his first 2 years in the league with Rick Dennison as his OC.    Judging by what I saw here, I have serious observation-based reservations about Rico Dennison's abilities to develop an offense, let alone a QB. 

It's not entirely impossible that spending last year in Minn. QB room with DeFilippo (who may not be able to develop an offense, but can develop a QB) and Cousins was helpful

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

if I remember right it is more severe in adults.

Most adults have antibodies against Epstein-Barr, the virus that causes mono.  That makes a conundrum: mature adults are less likely to get mono, but when they do, they tend to have less typical symptoms, so they're less likely to be diagnosed quickly, and more likely to suffer serious or long-lasting complications as a result

Just out of college, Darnold qualifies as a "young adult".  He was initially reported to have Strep throat, so his illness likely followed a typical progression of severe sore throat and swollen lymph glands, and was diagnosed quickly.

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I suppose this will rack up as "player excuse making", but Siemian spent his first 2 years in the league with Rick Dennison as his OC.    Judging by what I saw here, I have serious observation-based reservations about Rico Dennison's abilities to develop an offense, let alone a QB. 

Agreed re Dennison, but ... the Broncos actually got more out of Siemien that first year as a starter than they had any right to

expect. And here’s the thing: he was better than the weak competition he was up against. Brock Osweiler, Paxton Lynch, Case Keenum (in retrospect). He’ll, you could make an argument that he was better than Peyton Manning in Peyton’s final season. And the Joe Flacco Broncs didn’t exactly light it up against what we thought was a crappy Raider defense. Maybe the Broncos just haven’t had the personnel to succeed on offense since about 2014.