Sam Darnold out for MNF

scribo

35 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Ruled him out 5 days before the game? I'm not a doctor, can Mono be that bad?

I’ve had it.  It’s exhausting, but one can get over the tiredness with “mind over matter.”  

I’m not a doctor, so maybe someone with expertise can chime in on this, but I think the real issue is that a person with mono is much more prone to a liver injury in the event of physical contact.  That part of it was pretty serious, at least as I recall, so it might be a little while until he’s cleared to play.  

9 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

"Gase said Darnold could miss several weeks, and has lost a significant amount of weight. "

Since when i wonder? Sunday? Or beforehand? It's all the other symptoms of mono that kind of hurt your appetite (being tired, sore throat, swollen glands, fever) so did they just think he had a cold or what? Top notch docs they got out in Florin Park.

"Phil he's covered in red spots and he feels like he has the flu. His nephew has chicken pox. Chicken Pox right?"

"Nah, probably just allergies"

He’s probably had it for a month.  It has an incubation period of about that long and then when the virus activates, I think it hits you like an avalanche.

5 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I’ve had it.  It’s exhausting, but one can get over the tiredness with “mind over matter.”  

I’m not a doctor, so maybe someone with expertise can chime in on this, but I think the real issue is that a person with mono is much more prone to a liver injury in the event of physical contact.  That part of it was pretty serious, at least as I recall, so it might be a little while until he’s cleared to play.  

Worst part of mono for me was how food just tasted like crap.  I couldnt imagine lifting and exercising daily at the beginning though.  

44 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Ruled him out 5 days before the game? I'm not a doctor, can Mono be that bad?

It was originally reported as Strep, which would have been fine. 

With mono, it is not just symptoms. There is a risk of rupturing his spleen, so he will be out for several weeks now. 

Just now, PirateHookerMD said:

It was originally reported as Strep, which would have been fine. 

With mono, it is not just symptoms. There is a risk of rupturing his spleen, so he will be out for several weeks now. 

Yeah - i thought i had strep and they told me mono... no treatment other than like tylenol and fluids.  I assume he's got like a nurse at his house giving him IVs and stuff to try and get him ready as soon as possible.  It's tough though, even as a QB he certainly has to be able to exercise.

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Worst part of mono for me was how food just tasted like crap.  I couldnt imagine lifting and exercising daily at the beginning though.  

Lifting is actually how I beat it.  I decided that I was done being tired, and so I hit the weights.  I felt a lot better in a short period of time.   But it was exhausting - I remember being so tired that I couldn’t get up one evening after laying down for a couple of minutes.  Food intake was tough, too, because I had ulcers all over my throat.  That part was brutal. 

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I guess...?  Sub 60% career comp% and didn't play a game last year.  Not to mention... It's become clear through 1 week that they have to be able to attack down the field or their offense gets stuck in the mud.

I mean his arm sucks so he’s perfect