Big Blue Wary of Bills Mafia? (NY Daily News)

StHustle

There were a number of plays in the Jets game where there was a very noticeable, audible crowd reaction suggesting that the play that just happened benefitted the Jets--despite it actually benefitting the Bills.

I was impressed with that.   It sounded like the game was being played in Buffalo on several occasions.

I think we might even get more of that this week against the Giants.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Say When... said:

am i the only one that dislikes the use of the word 'mafia' in this regard?  the "OG" stuff has got to go.

now i don't expect us to be Downton Abbey civilized but naming the fan base after a group that was known for organized crime, murder, extortion and whatever else i can think of just makes me think...  Raiders fans and i'm not sure that who we want to emulate (after living in Los Angeles for 18 years, i got the FULL experience).

don't get me wrong, i got much props and love to our fan base and it gives me chills to see the sea of red/blue, the Mafia thing is just old and tired.

Mafia meant braggadocio until the criminals co-opted it. We're actually taking the word back.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I've spoken out on it multiple times. Don't see the attraction to the name at all.  

I hate the moniker "Bills Mafia".  

First, it has negative connotations and strikes me as effectively saying "the Bills collection of scumbag fans" and it is a term that I have never actually heard used in WNY among Bills fans.

Rather, it is a term placed on Bills fans by others in the national media, which I don't like.

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I hate the moniker "Bills Mafia".  

First, it has negative connotations and strikes me as effectively saying "the Bills collection of scumbag fans" and it is a term that I have never actually heard used in WNY among Bills fans.

Rather, it is a term placed on Bills fans by others in the national media, which I don't like.

WHAT? it is used ALL THE TIME lol

The Bills Mafia was started on social media for good purposes to raise money for people in need. A noble cause.

Idiot table smashers use the term as well, and thats what the national media has picked up on. 

I personally use and identify with Bills Mafia in an attempt to show the positives of the Bills fans and the Buffalo community at large (see Andy Dalton donations). I use it in an attempt to take back the name from the idiot table smashers.

Like it or not, the name for this fan base is without a doubt, here to stay. 

#BILLSMAFIA

39 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Good Lord.  How much $ do you spend in a single season on Bills football?

It's gotta be a lot!  No one can question your loyalty!

A good amount with everything well over 10k annually. It is my vice. My wife is ok with it because of a deal we made When we first got married. 

She got a Vacation Home in France and I get to keep my season tickets as I can use as I see fit and see 3-4 other games a year. 

79 on Stub Hub

109 on vivid seats 

78 on seat Geek. 

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

is this how you got married too?

all i can say is this, i have guests coming to the first 4 home games, only 1 who has been to the Buffalo for games before

1) Opener..Seahawk fan driving with me from Richmond VA cause the games look so fun

2) Pats game--Pats fan--hes an idiot Pats fan( any other kind) that comes to every home Bills Pats game---likes the games in Buffalo more

3) Dolphin Game..friend who is more college fan..likes the Skins a bit..wants to come to game in Buffalo

4) Eagles Game..Eagles fan driving from Richmond as he wants to go to game in Buffalo...

The mafia thing been good to us...been good for actually behavior at the games as well

You have some bad taste in friends. ?

• Like (+1) 1

I like the “Bills Mafia” name, can live without the breaking plastic tables, kinda low IQ stuff there, but the world needs ditch diggers too.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

...and why is that important to anyone?

We have been a fan base starved of national notoriety. It's one thing to disagree with it being important...it's another to come off like you can't understand how many people do.

13 minutes ago, StHustle said:

We have been a fan base starved of national notoriety. It's one thing to disagree with it being important...it's another to come off like you can't understand how many people do.

You are 100% correct.  I will never understand why anyone cares what Joe Schmuck in the national media says about the Bills...good or bad.  LOL

You want national notoriety as a Bills fan...it goes hand in hand with winning.  Winning I care about, having someone stroke my Bills fandom from a national perspective, who cares.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

Perhaps the fact the it gives Bill's fans an identity that is nationally known. 

We are Bills fans... 

I don't need national attention. I just don't need that sillyness

I just want the Bills to win don't need to be in mafia for that

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

is this how you got married too?

all i can say is this, i have guests coming to the first 4 home games, only 1 who has been to the Buffalo for games before

1) Opener..Seahawk fan driving with me from Richmond VA cause the games look so fun

2) Pats game--Pats fan--hes an idiot Pats fan( any other kind) that comes to every home Bills Pats game---likes the games in Buffalo more

3) Dolphin Game..friend who is more college fan..likes the Skins a bit..wants to come to game in Buffalo

4) Eagles Game..Eagles fan driving from Richmond as he wants to go to game in Buffalo...

The mafia thing been good to us...been good for actually behavior at the games as well

I agree.  I like the Bill's Mafia persona, but I do not like being associated with the moms that jump through tables and act like they just had their first beer.  This is not representative of true Bills fans.