Big Blue Wary of Bills Mafia? (NY Daily News)

StHustle

8 hours ago, Say When... said:

now i don't expect us to be Downton Abbey civilized but naming the fan base after a group that was known for organized crime, murder, extortion and whatever else i can think of just makes me think...  Raiders fans and i'm not sure that who we want to emulate (after living in Los Angeles for 18 years, i got the FULL experience).

Sounds like our fan base ;)

We are stuck with it like it or not so why not just ride with it and look at how much good our fan base has done in the last few years with that hash tag attached to us.

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I agree 100%, but unfortunately for us, I have a feeling we as a fan base are stuck with it. 

Doesn’t mean I have to like it though.  

I don't mind Mafia. In fact it's cool that the Bills fans have a unique handle that everyone in the media uses. Think about it. #DogPound, #BlackHole, #GangGreen, #BillsMafia.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

We are stuck with the name just like we are stuck with the national image of bone heads jumping through flaming folding tables.

You poor dear. Pray for us.

I don't jump through tables, but I also don't get my undies in a bunch over the whole national perception thing. Just enjoy your team, and enjoy others enjoying the team. It's supposed to be fun. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Say When... said:

you forgot 2/3rds of the defintion, cherry pick much?

Ma·fi·a
/ˈmäfēə/
noun

1. an organized international body of criminals, operating originally in Sicily and now especially in Italy and the US and having a complex and ruthless behavioral code.
    • any organized group using extortion and other criminal methods.
      noun: mafia; plural noun: mafias
    • a closed group of people in a particular field, having a controlling influence.
      noun: mafia
      "the conservative top tennis mafia"

True but in this case it means the last.  Not all three.  Is it snowing in Buf already.

22 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I agree.  I like the Bill's Mafia persona, but I do not like being associated with the moms that jump through tables and act like they just had their first beer.  This is not representative of true Bills fans.

How do you know what is representative of real bills fans?

We used to bring kegs to war memorial and people were wayyy crazier back then ... The stories that would be told about those old days would sound like fairytales

Buffalo has always been rowdy with a party , live atmosphere. We used to bring the party into the stadium

Heavy alcohol and Bills have gone hand in hand for 50+ years

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't mind Mafia. In fact it's cool that the Bills fans have a unique handle that everyone in the media uses. Think about it. #DogPound, #BlackHole, #GangGreen, #BillsMafia.

Having work in many locales nationwide, we are recognized as the mafia fans. Almost unanimously positive. I gladly accept their sports comradery.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/12/2019 at 2:46 PM, Don Otreply said:

I like the “Bills Mafia” name, can live without the breaking plastic tables, kinda low IQ stuff there, but the world needs ditch diggers too.

Go Bills!!!

Awesome Ted Knight reference!

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I am about to pull the trigger to fly up 

I see you working B-) 

On 9/12/2019 at 4:26 PM, ddaryl said:

We are Bills fans... 

I don't need national attention. I just don't need that sillyness

I just want the Bills to win don't need to be in mafia for that

There is no “I” in team,

Go Bills!!!

On 9/12/2019 at 9:22 AM, Say When... said:

am i the only one that dislikes the use of the word 'mafia' in this regard?  the "OG" stuff has got to go.

now i don't expect us to be Downton Abbey civilized but naming the fan base after a group that was known for organized crime, murder, extortion and whatever else i can think of just makes me think...  Raiders fans and i'm not sure that who we want to emulate (after living in Los Angeles for 18 years, i got the FULL experience).

don't get me wrong, i got much props and love to our fan base and it gives me chills to see the sea of red/blue, the Mafia thing is just old and tired.

You must be fun at parties!!

It started organically as a group of people that banded together and wouldn’t be disrespected. It was immediately adopted by the players that represented the Bills (ie Nick Barnett). It turned into charitable endeavors from the most organized fan base in the United States and the envy of all other fan bases. It’s about unity and family. We can criticize and talk bad about our family but those on the outside best not say a word. It has become a powerful recruiting tool for a team and region that, at one time, had a hard time recruiting. The players love it, the fans embrace it and the opponents dread it (but respect it). When we go on the road we don’t go like other traveling fan bases do; we go to takeover. We party together. We tailgate together. We chant together and march into the stadium together. It’s a movement that all Bills fans should embrace because every other fan base wishes that they had what we do. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

On 9/12/2019 at 10:54 AM, Say When... said:

you forgot 2/3rds of the defintion, cherry pick much?

Ma·fi·a
/ˈmäfēə/
noun

1. an organized international body of criminals, operating originally in Sicily and now especially in Italy and the US and having a complex and ruthless behavioral code.
    • any organized group using extortion and other criminal methods.
      noun: mafia; plural noun: mafias
    • a closed group of people in a particular field, having a controlling influence.
      noun: mafia
      "the conservative top tennis mafia"

What if he did? This isn’t a life threatening situation or anything. It goes well with the topic. Lighten up. 

Now if we’re talking about something that actually matters, then I get your point. Sheesh.

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You must be fun at parties!!

It started organically as a group of people that banded together and wouldn’t be disrespected. It was immediately adopted by the players that represented the Bills (ie Nick Barnett). It turned into charitable endeavors from the most organized fan base in the United States and the envy of all other fan bases. It’s about unity and family. We can criticize and talk bad about our family but those on the outside best not say a word. It has become a powerful recruiting tool for a team and region that, at one time, had a hard time recruiting. The players love, the fans embrace it and the opponents dread it (but respect it). When we go on the road we don’t go like other traveling fan bases do; we go to takeover. We party together. We tailgate together. We chant together and march into the stadium together. It’s a movement that all Bills fans should embrace because every other fan base wishes that they had what we do. 

And when you go to tailgate, remember to leave the gun, but, you can take the cannoli...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

How unfortunate...

I'm with you.

The name is idiotic, but if some people insist on carrying the mantle of that sort of stupidity, carry on......

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

How unfortunate...

I'm with you.

The name is idiotic, but if some people insist on carrying the mantle of that sort of stupidity, carry on......

Football is not a gentlemans game, it is a gladiator sport, without the death part,  fans That enjoy watching violence can not be said to be gentlemen nor gentlewomen, so to pretend to be upset about a monicker such as “the Bills Mafia” is disingenuous to say the least.

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Football is not a gentlemans game, it is a gladiator sport, without the death part,  fans That enjoy watching violence can not be said to be gentlemen nor gentlewomen, so to pretend to be upset about a monicker such as “the Bills Mafia” is disingenuous to say the least.

Go Bills!!!

Football is a family endeavor. I grew up playing football with my brother and passing the ball with my Dad, it’s a familial thing. I like the #BillsFamily angle more. Who wants to explain what the Mafia is to an adolescent? Seems inappropriate and a great way to screw a kid up mentally.

• Haha (+1) 1