Big Blue Wary of Bills Mafia? (NY Daily News)

StHustle

13 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

I really dislike the Mafia crap. Who started that BS?

What's the issue?

Ma·fi·a
/ˈmäfēə/
noun
noun: Mafia; noun: the Mafia
  1. a closed group of people in a particular field, having a controlling influence.
  • Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, StHustle said:

What's the issue?

Ma·fi·a
/ˈmäfēə/
noun
noun: Mafia; noun: the Mafia
  1. a closed group of people in a particular field, having a controlling influence.

you forgot 2/3rds of the defintion, cherry pick much?

Ma·fi·a
/ˈmäfēə/
noun

1. an organized international body of criminals, operating originally in Sicily and now especially in Italy and the US and having a complex and ruthless behavioral code.
    • any organized group using extortion and other criminal methods.
      noun: mafia; plural noun: mafias
    • a closed group of people in a particular field, having a controlling influence.
      noun: mafia
      "the conservative top tennis mafia"
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Say When... said:

am i the only one that dislikes the use of the word 'mafia' in this regard?  the "OG" stuff has got to go.

now i don't expect us to be Downton Abbey civilized but naming the fan base after a group that was known for organized crime, murder, extortion and whatever else i can think of just makes me think...  Raiders fans and i'm not sure that who we want to emulate (after living in Los Angeles for 18 years, i got the FULL experience).

don't get me wrong, i got much props and love to our fan base and it gives me chills to see the sea of red/blue, the Mafia thing is just old and tired.

Ray Liotta Chantix Goodfellas

• Haha (+1) 6

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

I get the NFC game and all and not the Jets but I think there are going to be a good number of Bills fans that marked this down to attend not only because it being the the Bills but a chance to watch Barkley live is intriguing.

Bobby, look, I am hoping for a Bills win, too.  However, I am just not anticipating a slaughter to the degree that we see Matt in the third or fourth quarter, but it would be nice.

:lol:   :thumbsup:

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Say When... said:

Oh wow I didnt realize when a word that has multiple definitions is used, all definitions apply at once. Interesting,

Edited by StHustle
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I am actually looking at flying up to NJ for the game, I do fly to a couple away games a year (I consider MIA Home) and go to Buffalo for very home game.  Reason I would go watch the NYG Game with the Bills is to watch Barkley in person and see if Bills defense can control two elite RBs back to back.  If they can it points to a top end defense for the year.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Say When... said:

Ma·fi·a
/ˈmäfēə/
noun

1. an organized international body of criminals, operating originally in Sicily and now especially in Italy and the US and having a complex and ruthless behavioral code.
    • any organized group using extortion and other criminal methods.
      noun: mafia; plural noun: mafias
    • a closed group of people in a particular field, having a controlling influence.
      noun: mafia
      "the conservative top tennis mafia"

Has multiple meanings.

Without knowing the intent of the origination, my guess is it’s supposed to be one of strength.

Numbers 1 and 2 do not apply to that.

Society today can be overly sensitive. The meaning in this case has nothing to do with organized crime. 

Etymology. The word mafia (Italian: [ˈmaːfja]) derives from the Sicilian adjective mafiusu, which, roughly translated, means "swagger", but can also be translated as "boldness" or "bravado".

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Say When... said:

am i the only one that dislikes the use of the word 'mafia' in this regard?  the "OG" stuff has got to go.

now i don't expect us to be Downton Abbey civilized but naming the fan base after a group that was known for organized crime, murder, extortion and whatever else i can think of just makes me think...  Raiders fans and i'm not sure that who we want to emulate (after living in Los Angeles for 18 years, i got the FULL experience).

don't get me wrong, i got much props and love to our fan base and it gives me chills to see the sea of red/blue, the Mafia thing is just old and tired.

We are stuck with the name just like we are stuck with the national image of bone heads jumping through flaming folding tables.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I am actually thinking of going to this game.  Anyone want to go with me last second?  

is this how you got married too?

40 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

We are stuck with the name just like we are stuck with the national image of bone heads jumping through flaming folding tables.

all i can say is this, i have guests coming to the first 4 home games, only 1 who has been to the Buffalo for games before

1) Opener..Seahawk fan driving with me from Richmond VA cause the games look so fun

2) Pats game--Pats fan--hes an idiot Pats fan( any other kind) that comes to every home Bills Pats game---likes the games in Buffalo more

3) Dolphin Game..friend who is more college fan..likes the Skins a bit..wants to come to game in Buffalo

4) Eagles Game..Eagles fan driving from Richmond as he wants to go to game in Buffalo...

The mafia thing been good to us...been good for actually behavior at the games as well

Edited by plenzmd1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I am actually looking at flying up to NJ for the game, I do fly to a couple away games a year (I consider MIA Home) and go to Buffalo for very home game.  Reason I would go watch the NYG Game with the Bills is to watch Barkley in person and see if Bills defense can control two elite RBs back to back.  If they can it points to a top end defense for the year.

Good Lord.  How much $ do you spend in a single season on Bills football?

It's gotta be a lot!  No one can question your loyalty!

Here come the purple prospects to tell us all that you are free to do whatever you want ... as long as it it what they want. If you don't agree with them, then you're a bad person. How about complaining about the Vikings Skol chant and the fact that the Viking has been co-opted as a symbol of white nationalism. Or you could spend your time trying to get everyone here start calling the Redskins "the Washington team." You are putting too much stock in your feelings. The fanbase has a name, the players embrace it, it's not changing, why waste time complaining about it. 

• Like (+1) 1