538 Quarterback chart

Reader

4 minutes ago, Reader said:

I stumbled upon 538's bizarre quarterback graph. They think Allen is the 2nd best QB in the division being slightly below average. There are some other, interesting tidbits in there.

Big surprises for me are Jared Goff at 145 and Kirk Cousins at 171, just at a quick glance.

19 minutes ago, Reader said:

I stumbled upon 538's bizarre quarterback graph. They think Allen is the 2nd best QB in the division being slightly below average. There are some other, interesting tidbits in there.

He's 2nd out of 10(Darnold came in 4th behind Fitz?) so I'm going to guess they're might be something throwing the average off(Brady). Then comparing him to other divisions he's tied with Baker Mayfield and Mitchel Trubisky and 1pt higher than Lamar Jackson and Derek Carr.

Edited by Warcodered

25 minutes ago, Reader said:

You have to look into their methodology to see where/why this happens. This is all data driven:

Performance is measured according to “VALUE,” a regression between ESPN’s Total QBR yards above replacement and basic box score numbers (including rushing stats) from a given game, adjusted for the quality of opposing defenses.

• The formula for VALUE is: -2.2 * Pass Attempts + 3.7 * Completions + (Passing Yards / 5) + 11.3 * Passing TDs – 14.1 * Interceptions – 8 * Times Sacked – 1.1 * Rush Attempts + 0.6 * Rushing Yards + 15.9 * Rushing TDs.3

25 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

• The formula for VALUE is: -2.2 * Pass Attempts + 3.7 * Completions + (Passing Yards / 5) + 11.3 * Passing TDs – 14.1 * Interceptions – 8 * Times Sacked – 1.1 * Rush Attempts + 0.6 * Rushing Yards + 15.9 * Rushing TDs.3

I refuse to take up a hobby that involves more work than Grade 11 Algebra.

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

You have to look into their methodology to see where/why this happens. This is all data driven:

Performance is measured according to “VALUE,” a regression between ESPN’s Total QBR yards above replacement and basic box score numbers (including rushing stats) from a given game, adjusted for the quality of opposing defenses.

I guess my remaining question is where do these multipliers on each of these stats come from? Not to get too meta, but i’d rather know the thinking behind the formula itself, rather than just the formula. 

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

A number of variables, which I agree is needed to evaluate a QB.  I’d like to know why  each variable is weighted by a specific amount.  How was that determined?

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

It isn't "data driven" as ESPN's Total QBR is loaded with subjective judgements.