Shrmur says Allen could potentially be a starter?? Huh?

D521646

9 minutes ago, scribo said:

Funny thing is Josh said some really nice things about Shumar before the 2018 draft, and the media reported it widely.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/josh-allen-impressed-by-pat-shurmurs-brilliant-mind-wants-to-play-for-new-giants-coach/amp/

1 hour ago, BananaSquad said:

The Giants were taking the best player in the draft (Saquon) so I doubt they really scouted all the QBs that deep. I think everyone knew the Browns were going QB at 1. 

They absolutely scouted the QBs

https://www.nj.com/giants/2018/03/nfl_draft_2018_giants_pat_shurmur_mike_shula_watch.html

2 hours ago, D521646 said:

Just heard on the radio, sorry no link, but in the Giants presser Shurmur said when asked about Allen, that when they looked at him in 2018 they thought that one day he "might" be a starter?  When pressed later on in the press conference, he repeated the statement?

What does that even mean?  Meanwhile McD had high praise for Eli.  I find it odd that usually we hear from coaches nothing but good things to say about the team they're about to face, but Shurmur's comments caught reporters off guard?

Tim-

Shurmur had Allen as his QB #1 of the 2018 class. This is such a non-story.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/05/pat-shurmur-on-eli-mannings-status

turns out, Big Blue’s brass didn’t appear to have a consensus among which of the quarterbacks they would take, with Paul Schwartz of the New York Post reporting different sects of the Giants’ decision-makers preferred three separate signal-callers. And they didn’t feel strongly enough about one of them to pull the trigger at No. 2.

Mostly, the Giants were down to Sam Darnold or Josh Allen, with some Josh Rosen support in the building as well. Schwartz reports there wasn’t much love for Baker Mayfield among the new-look Giants power structure.

If it were up to Pat Shurmur, Allen would have been the quarterback pick — had the franchise been leaning in that direction. Upside drew Shurmur to Allen.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/05/giants-did-not-have-consensus-on-drafts-top-qb

I don’t know what [taking Barkley] means for Eli,” Shurmur said, via Breer. “What it means for us organizationally is we picked the guy we thought was the best player in the draft. I believe in Eli. What I know is that Eli is going to be the very best Eli he can be, and we believe in him.”

Shurmur was reported to have preferred Josh Allenin a Giants war room that reportedly did not produce a definitive answer on which of the 2018 draft class’ top passing prospects was the best. That the team devoted its offseason to adding the draft’s top non-quarterback prospect and three new offensive linemen figures to help paint a better picture of where Manning’s at than what transpired last season leading an injury-ravaged Giants offense.

Edited by YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, D521646 said:

Just heard on the radio, sorry no link, but in the Giants presser Shurmur said when asked about Allen, that when they looked at him in 2018 they thought that one day he "might" be a starter?  When pressed later on in the press conference, he repeated the statement?

What does that even mean?  Meanwhile McD had high praise for Eli.  I find it odd that usually we hear from coaches nothing but good things to say about the team they're about to face, but Shurmur's comments caught reporters off guard?

Tim-

Well...What has Allen been, a mirage? Will the real Josh Allen please raise your hand! Shurmer seems to speak of Allen in the abstract.

Edited by Rocket94

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The Giants didn't have franchise QB ratings on any of the 2018 QBs available at 2, otherwise they would have picked one & sat him a year or 2 behind Manning.  They probably had a similar rating on Barkley that most had-potential HOFer.  So if you want to get on his case, he chose the most likely Hall of Famer in the draft. He knew if they drafted Allen, Allen wouldn't play as a rookie and possibly not as a sophomore either.  Josh was better off going to a team where he could play instead of being a NY Giant still holding a clipboard with nobody knowing if he'd be the answer or not.  

Wrong answer.

They had Barkley rated as a first ballot HOF and that is why they took him.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

3 hours ago, billspro said:

He is trying to justify them not picking Josh last year. I am not surprised by the response. 

Honestly in a re-draft they'd probably still take Barkley.   He's so freakin good and Josh still has a way to go.

Either way, he's in for a beatdown Sunday.  If the Gmen's Oline plays anything like they did against the Cowboys our front 7 is going to dominate this game.   again.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Wiz said:

It's odd but kind of sounds like he saying what he thought about him when scouting him and hasn't really thought about him since.

I guess if you can't say anything nice.... don't do what Gase does.

That has to be B*** S*** since Shurmur must be watching recent game film of Allen and the Bills.

I put it elsewhere, maybe Shurmur is trying to stir Allen up and provoke him to press hard trying to prove himself?

3 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

He might be a good coach someday.

He is a good coach - a good OC.  Actually quite a brilliant OC.  Whether he's a good HC or not, to be determined

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That has to be B*** S*** since Shurmur must be watching recent game film of Allen and the Bills.

I put it elsewhere, maybe Shurmur is trying to stir Allen up and provoke him to press hard trying to prove himself?

That's always a possibility.  I mean, it's not like anyone has ever jumped to conclusions based off of what someone else has said (especially around here).

8 hours ago, D521646 said:

Tim-

Eli could be a starter too :devil:

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, D521646 said:

Tim-

If that was his honest opinion I don’t see the problem with that , 

they obviously didn’t think much of Darnold or Rosen or else they’ve wouldn’t have taken a RB with the 2nd overall pick , 

and this whole idea that just because McD  said good things about Eli that somehow it’s a must that he has to say good things about Allen , 

Im sure Allen heard the comments and that will only put more ? under his A _ _  

Go Bills