Shrmur says Allen could potentially be a starter?? Huh?

D521646

Just heard on the radio, sorry no link, but in the Giants presser Shurmur said when asked about Allen, that when they looked at him in 2018 they thought that one day he "might" be a starter?  When pressed later on in the press conference, he repeated the statement?

What does that even mean?  Meanwhile McD had high praise for Eli.  I find it odd that usually we hear from coaches nothing but good things to say about the team they're about to face, but Shurmur's comments caught reporters off guard?

Tim-

1 minute ago, D521646 said:

Just heard on the radio, sorry no link, but in the Giants presser Shurmur said when asked about Allen, that when they looked at him in 2018 they thought that one day he "might" be a starter?  When pressed later on in the press conference, he repeated the statement?

What does that even mean?  Meanwhile McD had high praise for Eli.  I find it odd that usually we hear from coaches nothing but good things to say about the team they're about to face, but Shurmur's comments caught reporters off guard?

Tim-

It's odd but kind of sounds like he saying what he thought about him when scouting him and hasn't really thought about him since.

I guess if you can't say anything nice.... don't do what Gase does.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

25 minutes ago, x-BillzeBubba said:

he was right about what he thought in 2018...Josh IS a starter.  wheres the controversy 

There isn't any, ppl are just overly sensitive around here.  It's clear what he was saying is, at draft time he thought Allen could be a starting NFL QB someday, not sure why that is so hard to understand.

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, D521646 said:

Tim-

It means what he said. Coming out of the draft it looked like he could be a starting QB someday. 

Technically he IS a starting QB but none of us know his staying power yet. Which is fair. He could still go the direction of Favre or Bortles. If he keeps getting better he’ll start. If he doesn’t he’ll get another look or two from teams then be gone. 

It is a pretty honest and fair assessment of Josh Allen in early September of 2019. 

Shurmer is the (terrible) head coach of another franchise. He isn’t going to go into detail on where he thinks another teams QB is going to be in 5 years.