Pats can keep their rings; I'll take the Bills

Shaw66

42 minutes ago, Gugny said:

What kills me is how much McDermott stresses his faith.  Is there a bigger collective group of absolute scum than the catholic priesthood?  Having devotion to that faith while simultaneously stressing the importance of "character," is a tad hypocritical IMO.

I agree. In all fairness though many born agains are against the Catholic Church.

54 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

The Packers had this coach a couple years back named Vince something or other. "Winning isn't everything. It's the only thing."

Bill Curry played for Lombardi.   In his book, Bill Curry said this about Lombardi:

Vince Lombardi's approach to football was modeled on the fundamentals of his deep and profound Roman Catholic faith. Every day he reminded us of the priorities that must guide us: "Your religion, your family, and the Green Bay Packers will be your priorities as long as you are here! And in that order!"

He was from a different era, and he would have had NO patience with guys who abuse women.  None.  He could barely stand Max McGee, because he drank too much.  

When Lombardi was in his football world, you're right, winning was the only thing.   But when morality was concerned, he left the football world and found guidance elsewhere.  He had his priorities straight. 

• Like (+1) 1

Would Bills fans take BB and Brady 20 years ago...WITH spygate and deflagate.....and 6 Championships....all those AFCCGs......all those division wins.....I seriously think I would, without a doubt, take it....the NFL is not there to give us a moral guideline in life....that's not what I'm looking for from the league....I want my team to win. period.....plus, I really don't think the " cheating " was such a big deal....deflategate was an absolute joke...and spygate was what?, 12 years ago?......and they have been actually a better team since.....Can you guys imagine Buffalo with 6 rings.....that sounds like such a foreign thought....

• Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Iron Maiden said:

Would Bills fans take BB and Brady 20 years ago...WITH spygate and deflagate.....and 6 Championships....all those AFCCGs......all those division wins.....I seriously think I would, without a doubt, take it....the NFL is not there to give us a moral guideline in life....that's not what I'm looking for from the league....I want my team to win. period.....plus, I really don't think the " cheating " was such a big deal....deflategate was an absolute joke...and spygate was what?, 12 years ago?......and they have been actually a better team since.....Can you guys imagine Buffalo with 6 rings.....that sounds like such a foreign thought....

Now, that's a tough question.  That forces me to put my money where my mouth is.   Would I take the package - Kraft, Belichick, Brady, the rings and the bad stuff?   

It's sort of like would you sell your sell to the devil in order to get what you'd want.   

Twenty years ago, I might have done it.   I don't have 20 years left; for me, just one Super Bowl will do the trick.   Today, I wouldn't do it.  

Ralph WIlson was a lousy owner, in terms of running a football team.  But I will love him forever for doing the right thing and voting AGAINST the Browns' move to Baltimore.  It was about more than the money for him, and I was proud to have an owner like that.  

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Now, that's a tough question.  That forces me to put my money where my mouth is.   Would I take the package - Kraft, Belichick, Brady, the rings and the bad stuff?   

It's sort of like would you sell your sell to the devil in order to get what you'd want.   

Twenty years ago, I might have done it.   I don't have 20 years left; for me, just one Super Bowl will do the trick.   Today, I wouldn't do it.  

Ralph WIlson was a lousy owner, in terms of running a football team.  But I will love him forever for doing the right thing and voting AGAINST the Browns' move to Baltimore.  It was about more than the money for him, and I was proud to have an owner like that.  

I don’t cheer for known scum bags but I think this whole take is a stretch. Do you think all

the NE fans wanted a coach who cheats, players who kill people or beat their wives? Think back to the first SB? The Pats were the underdog story. 

How can any fan say they wouldn’t want that? After that win you are along for the ride, you might not like everything about the coach/players but from a guy who defends a lot of things Bills, you’d sure be defending the Pats and their flaws.

9 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you and a lot of other people jumped to the wrong conclusion about what I said.

I completely and totally agree with what I quoted above.  I never said and never I tended to say their success came because they cheated lied or were immoral.  I think what they have accomplished is incredible.  I think McD is trying to copy a lot of it and I'm fine with that.  

What I said is that they are amoral, and I said I don't like that.  They aren't gentlemen and they aren't sportsmen, and I dont like that.  They don't care about treating opponents and other people fairly; they just care about winning. I dont like that

I think if you asked McD about this and he talked candidly, he would tell you that his objective is to build a successful team that has bgh higher goals than the Pat's.  It would be a team that honors and respects all people, doesn't lie and doesn't cheat.  I think he would say that winning at all costs is NOT what he wants.

I know that makes it harder; winning without morality is easier.  McD just has a higher standard. I like that and it makes me proud of my team.

I think it was clear I was talking about the current regimes, not prior ownership or management.  So I'm not interested in all of your pre-McD arguments. 

Based on this statement, I agree with you, Shaw. I’ve vacillated on whether to respond or not. 

I have zero desire to root for an organization that openly believes cheating is ok (which the  Pats have proven they are). 

I would much rather cheer for a team that is headed by an upstanding GM, HC and owner. I would NEVER want asterisks next to our wins. 

I am a disabled veteran and learned early in life that honor and commitment don’t come cheap. Is there a chance we’ll have to wait a few more years to get to the promised land doing it the honest way? Sure...and I’m ok waiting for it and screaming my head off every game, regardless of the game having meaning late in the season or not. 

I was at SBXXV and it broke my heart. But doing it the right way is still of the utmost importance. 

The Pats do indeed have the GOAT QB and HC but they still wanted MORE and were willing to do anything to go a step further. No thanks. 

Thank you for starting this dialogue. It’s been a good conversation. ? 

Edited by TroutDog
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Based on this statement, I agree with you, Shaw. I’ve vacillated on whether to respond or not. 

I have zero desire to root for an organization that openly believes cheating is ok (which the  Pats have proven they are). 

I would much rather cheer for a team that is headed by an upstanding GM, HC and owner. I would NEVER want asterisks next to our wins. 

I am a disabled veteran and learned early in life that honor and commitment don’t come cheap. Is there a chance we’ll have to wait a few more years to get to the promised land doing it the honest way? Sure...and I’m ok waiting for it and screaming my head off every game, regardless of the game having meaning late in the season or not. 

I was at SBXXV and it broke my heart. But doing it the right way is still of the utmost importance. 

The Pats do indeed have the GOAT QB and HC but they still wanted MORE and were willing to do anything to go a step further. No thanks. 

Thank you for starting this dialogue. It’s been a good conversation. ? 

I was at XXV too.  

Honor and commitment.  Yup.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

What kills me is how much McDermott stresses his faith.  Is there a bigger collective group of absolute scum than the catholic priesthood?  Having devotion to that faith while simultaneously stressing the importance of "character," is a tad hypocritical IMO.

Ordinarily, I would let this pass coming from someone as uneducated about Catholicism as you.  And, I would answer this in PPP, but you went ahead and initiated this here. 

If you're going to mischaracterize the entire Catholic priesthood I would caution you.  Form whatever opinion you want, but I am Catholic and I've personally known dozens of outstanding Catholic priests.  I've seen them in the hospital rooms with the sick and dying.  I've seen them at Catholic funerals comforting families.  I've seen them at weddings joining newly married couples.  I've seen them on Sundays with homilies that make you check who you are.  I've been there with them receiving help during particularly difficult times I experienced.  I've seen them in school teaching religion and latin.  And I've seen them in so many other places.  You make it sound as though all are predators in waiting and that's simply not true.    

The greatest men I know are Catholic priests.    

I'm not the biggest McD fan, but being a Christian is not a problem and he's definitely not out proselytizing on the sidelines or behind the scenes.      

Enough of this soapy my team has more character charade.

In the annals of NFL history it will be Bills who ?....and those Patriots were something else !

Stop fooling yourself, the Pats are the cornerstone of what an NFL franchise should be.

• Thank you (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Enough of this soapy my team has more character charade.

In the annals of NFL history it will be Bills who ?....and those Patriots were something else !

Stop fooling yourself, the Pats are the cornerstone of what an NFL franchise should be.

I think its nice to have a team full of players that for the most part are men of good character.  

A B caused one team to give up high draft picks for his services. Didn't like where he landed so did what he had to do to get released. Probably knowing all along the Pats would sign him.  Myself personally, A B should be blackballed from the league IMO.

To me this sets a bad example for other players. Act up, refuse to play, get rewarded. Maybe even win another Championship.

Tell me how this helps other franchises in the NFL. 

3 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I'm not the biggest McD fan, but being a Christian is not a problem and he's definitely not out proselytizing on the sidelines or behind the scenes.      

Whereas I am a massive McDermott fan but whenever he talks about faith (and I do agree he doesn't do it as much as some here would have you think) it makes me cringe. 

7 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Ordinarily, I would let this pass coming from someone as uneducated about Catholicism as you.  And, I would answer this in PPP, but you went ahead and initiated this here. 

If you're going to mischaracterize the entire Catholic priesthood I would caution you.  Form whatever opinion you want, but I am Catholic and I've personally known dozens of outstanding Catholic priests.  I've seen them in the hospital rooms with the sick and dying.  I've seen them at Catholic funerals comforting families.  I've seen them at weddings joining newly married couples.  I've seen them on Sundays with homilies that make you check who you are.  I've been there with them receiving help during particularly difficult times I experienced.  I've seen them in school teaching religion and latin.  And I've seen them in so many other places.  You make it sound as though all are predators in waiting and that's simply not true.    

The greatest men I know are Catholic priests.    

https://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Ex-priest-off-to-prison-with-a-grin-1016033.php - there's a story about the priest who confirmed me as catholic and also raped more than one of my friends.  I'm Catholic and I've seen everyting you have.  Don't think you have a leg up on me (or anyone, for that matter).  I'll leave it at that, so this thread doesn't get shut down.

McDermott's faith being considered while building the roster has been reported on/discussed multiple times.  It's relevant, which is why I brought it up.  If you want to pound your chest about how proud you are to be a catholic, YOU take that crap to PPP.  Otherwise, leave it alone.  Thanks.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Augie said:

The Bills have real fans. How many “Patriot fans” would jump off the bandwagon after a couple of 5 or 6 win seasons? How about a 17 year playoff drought? That “bandwagon” could be the size of a golf cart! 

Don't get me started on Patriot fans.  I live amongst them.   I think more highly of the Patriots than I do of their fans. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Augie said:

The Bills have real fans. How many “Patriot fans” would jump off the bandwagon after a couple of 5 or 6 win seasons? How about a 17 year playoff drought? That “bandwagon” could be the size of a golf cart! 

Augie, Don't kid yourself. The Bills lost a generation of fans with their generation of ineptitude. It's not unusual for a fan base to lose some steam after more than a generation of historical level of winning. That shouldn't be surprising. I remember when the exciting Kelly era was coming to a close and we hosting a he playoff against Jacksonville. There were plenty of empty seats against Jacksonville in a playoff game that we lost. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/11/2019 at 5:26 PM, RiotAct said:

I think most Patriots fans revel in that somewhat bad-boy, “us-against-the-world” mentality.  

What’s a Patriots fan?  You mean those people that started showing up to game around 2001 and will stop showing up when Brady retires?

• Like (+1) 1