Pats can keep their rings; I'll take the Bills

Shaw66

I agree with Shaw but let’s be clear, every team has drafted and acquired players that were known “bad” guys with hope of rehabilitation.   Maybe the Pats* more than most.   Let’s not forget that Bills were in discussions with this creep’s agent. 

Where Shaw is 100% correct is the cheating.  I’m betting we don’t even know the half of it either.  

As for the owner.  Any guy in his position, at this point in his life, that takes a poor $79 prostitute is amoral.  While I doubt he was directly involved in trafficking, his choice to exploit the poor, uneducated, and desperate make him a low life in my opinion.    

I could not see Ralph or Terry doing such a thing and would not support them if I knew that they did.  

Edited by Bob in STL

56 minutes ago, Bills92 said:

Maybe I just hate the Pats too much or too much of a die hard Bills fan, but based on how the Pats have gone about it, I really prefer being a Bills fan.   I absolutely (needless to say) would want 1 Superbowl victory.. let alone 6.. but I think it's important for the team (that I support) to represent something 'good'.  

I'm not sure if I could define what 'good' really means.. because I agree, the idea of having a team of 'choir boys' is delusional in this time and age.  But the team leaders, should be representative of what the team 'is'.. So when I look at this young team, and it's leaders, like Allan, Edmonds, Horrible Harry, and Tre White.. and what they seem (please note seem) to represent.. I feel 'good' about this team.

Lastly, when I think about the drought years..   My favorite team of all those years, was probably one of the worst teams - which was the 2010 team that finished 4-12.. But that team had good leaders like Fitzy, Eric Woods, Stevie Johnson (Yes.. Stevie was a good leader) , Fred Jackson..   In turn they made them likable and fun to watch.  In spite of their record (and maybe my infinite ignorance)..  I wore my Bills gear with pride that year..  

So maybe I'm confusing good with likable..  but other then that 2001 Patriots team..  since then..  I don't think they have ever been 'good' or 'likable'

We're obviously die hard Bills fans here but let's all be honest, we all want nothing more than to experience the same success as the Pats. If Allen and McD went on to be the greatest ever at their jobs and we had 2 decades of dominance then we'd all live with a little scandal here and there. To me, this petty hatred of the Pats stems from being insanely jealous of what they have and having to deal with them kicking our ass twice a year. 

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

We're obviously die hard Bills fans here but let's all be honest, we all want nothing more than to experience the same success as the Pats. If Allen and McD went on to be the greatest ever at their jobs and we had 2 decades of dominance then we'd all live with a little scandal here and there. To me, this petty hatred of the Pats stems from being insanely jealous of what they have and having to deal with them kicking our ass twice a year. 

Nah.  It’s their fans.

I’d be able to respect what BB and Brady are doing, at least minimally - if not for the cartoonish arrogance of that fan base.  I have friends there that I just can’t talk football with anymore.

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Shaw, you’re better than this nonsense.

1. Hernandez was released 2 hours after he was arrested. 

2. Every NFL team is loading these guys up with pills and pain killers on a weekly or even daily basis. The NFL’s drug and PED policy is an absolute joke.

3. The AB stuff is probably your strongest point given his actions the last year. However, your talking as though he’s already been convicted of rape. 

4. Where was it revealed Kraft was involved in or even encouraged sex trafficking?

Trent Murphy busted for PEDs. Tyrel Dodson arrested for domestic related charges after allegedly getting physical with his girlfriend. Beane even tried to go after AB whom you’ve already deemed to be a rapist. 

I would rather have 6 SB rings than a locker room full of choir boys who all get along. But that’s just me though. 

1. Hernandez hung himself after being convicted of murder.

2. Fair enough, but why does Gordon keep getting suspended or quitting if everyone is doing it?

3. The case against AB is a civil suit, he’s not going to get convicted of anything. The woman in question is suing him for $75,000 because she was an employee and she thought a friend, she could not continue to work for him for obvious reasons. 

4. Kraft’s arrest was the result of a joint task force investigating human trafficking.

2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Let's be honest...

OJ was one of the most electrifying football players the world had ever seen at that time.

He was the first running back to reach 2000 yards in a single, shortened season.

He later went on to show his personality chops with his Avis commercials.

Then he moved into TV and big screen dramas like The Towering Inferno, Roots and Capricorn One.

Soon after, he had us laughing with his stint in The Naked Gun series as the lovable character Nordberg.

After all that, the dude has ONE BAD DAY and everyone gives him schitt.

It wasn't even a bad DAY per se. More like a bad 15 minutes. For all we know, he could have anonymously donated to a children's hospital that afternoon. Cut the guy some slack, would ya?

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Shaw’s point is about the current regime.  I wish people would not lump different owners/GMs/HCs together.

So the past 20 years can be cited when talking about the Pats, but only the last 2 can be cited when talking about the Bills, simply because BB has been there for that long? That’s not disingenuous at all.

I gotta say, I'm not hating on the Pats because of their success.  I admire their success as much as anyone on this forum does.  Thay didn't succeed by cheating.  They succeeded by being better than everyone else, a remarkable achievement over 20 years.  

In some ways that makes it worse.  They don't even have to cheat to win.  Bill and Robert do what they want because, well, they can.  That's amoral.   The Pegulas don't do whatever they want because, well, they know it isn't right.    Bills and Robert aren't criminals, but I don't have to like their style.  

1 minute ago, Wacka said:

Not that we know of

I thought about that, but there was so much press investigation of OJ, it seems impossible that he could have done something like that without it being discovered.  

27 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

So the past 20 years can be cited when talking about the Pats, but only the last 2 can be cited when talking about the Bills, simply because BB has been there for that long? That’s not disingenuous at all.

Yes, because that has been their regime including the owner and HC.  Robert Kraft doesn’t run his organization the same way as did Billy Sullivan.  Nor does Belicheat do what say Ray Berry did as their HC.  

McD and Beane have their philosophy of constructing a team.  It is different than what say Lou or Marv did.  Terry has a different ownership approach than Ralph.  To say the Bills have bad actors in the past is immaterial to what the current guys are doing.  Just as it is immaterial that past coaches or owners of the Pats to my knowledge never reached out to put a guy like AB on their roster.  What matters is what Belicheat and Kraft are doing. And they brought this guy on (and Belicheat is getting roasted for his typical non-answer stuff about it today).  

I like what the current guys are doing.  That’s what’s relevant.

Edited by oldmanfan

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Yes, because that has been their regime including the owner and HC.  Robert Kraft doesn’t run his organization the same way as did Billy Sullivan.  Nor does Belicheat do what say Ray Berry did as their HC.  

McD and Beane have their philosophy of constructing a team.  It is different than what say Lou or Marv did.  Terry has a different ownership approach than Ralph.  To say the Bills have bad actors in the past is immaterial to what the current guys are doing.  Just as it is immaterial that past coaches or owners of the Pats to my knowledge never reached out to put a guy like AB on their roster.  What matters is what Belicheat and Kraft are doing. And they brought this guy on (and Belicheat is getting roasted for his typical non-answer stuff about it today).  

I like what the current guys are doing.  That’s what’s relevant.

Yeah and there’s plenty more bad actors and bad actions when you’re comparing a regime with another one that’s been around 10x as long. Sample size and all that. Ignore that variable and sure, McD and Beane are pure as snow (so far.) But it aint necessarily convincing.

3 hours ago, RiotAct said:

I think most Patriots fans revel in that somewhat bad-boy, “us-against-the-world” mentality.  

Yeah, they're like the sketchy guy with the big house at the end of your street that nobody ever visits because he has no personality.

The other thing is, the Patriots have no choice but to embrace the "Us against the world" because while everyone respects their QB and his amazing NFL run, the rest of the organization is a joke.  They've been penalized multiple first round draft picks in recent years for doing things the wrong way, and they will never learn.

I'm still convinced Kraft sees himself as the victim in the hooker sting.   And now watch the Pats squirm out of the new rape allegations and try to hide the tampering with AB.

13 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Yeah and there’s plenty more bad actors and bad actions when you’re comparing a regime with another one that’s been around 10x as long. Sample size and all that. Ignore that variable and sure, McD and Beane are pure as snow (so far.) But it aint necessarily convincing.

It makes no sense statistically to compare just by years if you’re talking about the philosophy of an organization.  Philosophy is dictated by leadership.  You compare based on the different regimes.

And we should all hope McD and Beane are here 20 years because it will mean their approach is highly successful.

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

It makes no sense statistically to compare just by years if you’re talking about the philosophy of an organization.  Philosophy is dictated by leadership.  You compare based on the different regimes.

And we should all hope McD and Beane are here 20 years because it will mean their approach is highly successful.

And two years isn’t enough time to say these guys are “moral.” They inquired into Brown after all. No, a deal wasn’t close, but it’s accepted that Beane at least made inquiries to Pitt on AB. So strike one against that argument. 

1 hour ago, chris heff said:

1. Hernandez hung himself after being convicted of murder.

What’s your point?

2. Fair enough, but why does Gordon keep getting suspended or quitting if everyone is doing it?

I honestly have no idea regarding the circumstances of his suspensions. You’d have to assume it was pretty severe though.

3. The case against AB is a civil suit, he’s not going to get convicted of anything. The woman in question is suing him for $75,000 because she was an employee and she thought a friend, she could not continue to work for him for obvious reasons. 

Regardless, if you want to hate on AB because of his recent actions with the Steelers and Raiders then I’m right there with you. But to call the guy a rapist and treat him as though he’s guilty just because of an allegation seems like an agenda.

4. Kraft’s arrest was the result of a joint task force investigating human trafficking.

And this somehow proves he encouraged or was directly involved in the human trafficking? He was arrested for paying for a handjob at the establishment being investigated. I don’t recall him ever being charged for trafficking or even being associated it.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Thank you (+1) 1