"The unsung hero and the Bills’ best player — Trent Murphy" - Joe B

This is from Joe B's All-22 review on The Athletic, which requires a subscription.  Not posting the whole review, just the bit on Murphy:

Following a frustrating, injury-filled 2018, Trent Murphy returned in the spring without any lingering issues. He was healthy, and the Bills hoped he would become the player they envisioned when they signed him to a sizable free-agent contract in the 2018 offseason. Without Murphy on the field, the Bills wouldn’t have been able to bottle up Sam Darnold and Le’Veon Bell nearly as well as they did.

Murphy registered an assisted tackle, a pass defense and a fumble recovery at the end of the game, which seemed measly by box score standards. Murphy’s performance is the precise reason why going back to review the film is so essential. Beyond the numbers, he was outstanding. The left defensive end led the way in snaps for all defensive linemen and consistently provided pressure off the edge to set off Darnold’s internal alarm clock. The play that most will remember is when Darnold eluded Murphy’s tackle to throw a touchdown pass the referees later disallowed. Regardless, if Murphy hadn’t read his keys and hold his spot on the read-option play near the goal line, Darnold would have been able to dive into the end zone for a touchdown.

TrentMurphyRORead-1024x576.jpg

Murphy forced Darnold to throw while his team was blocking down the field and forced a penalty. The Jets scored on the next play, but that wasn’t on Murphy’s watch. His pass-rushing was good against the Jets, but it was his run defense that really stood out. Murphy’s ability to lock Bell between the tackles was one of the biggest reasons the defense had such success on Sunday.

Edge contain is often a lost art with sack-obsessed defensive ends, but it is a critical component both to Murphy’s skill-set and the team-based defensive scheme Sean McDermott runs. Murphy used his long frame to keep the right tackle away from his pads on rushing plays. He combined his length with enough to power to shift the right tackle where he wanted him, essentially building a wall that prevented the ever-patient Bell from kicking it outside for bigger yardage.

TrentMurphyEdgeContain-1024x576.jpg

Murphy routinely set the table for his teammates to make plays at or near the line of scrimmage — and is likely receiving plenty of internal praise from his coaching staff and teammates. He didn’t register a sack on Sunday, but the way he played — and how it showed up on film — was more than worth the weight of his substantial contract.

• Like (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 7

16 minutes ago, Heitz said:

But, what the hell am I supposed to do with this burning pitchfork!?!  :beer:

I could add it to my significant collection of tar and feathers. Boiling oil and  Crow done well.
always happy to return in when opportunity arises.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This is from Joe B's All-22 review on The Athletic, which requires a subscription.  Not posting the whole review, just the bit on Murphy:

Following a frustrating, injury-filled 2018, Trent Murphy returned in the spring without any lingering issues. He was healthy, and the Bills hoped he would become the player they envisioned when they signed him to a sizable free-agent contract in the 2018 offseason. Without Murphy on the field, the Bills wouldn’t have been able to bottle up Sam Darnold and Le’Veon Bell nearly as well as they did.

Murphy registered an assisted tackle, a pass defense and a fumble recovery at the end of the game, which seemed measly by box score standards. Murphy’s performance is the precise reason why going back to review the film is so essential. Beyond the numbers, he was outstanding. The left defensive end led the way in snaps for all defensive linemen and consistently provided pressure off the edge to set off Darnold’s internal alarm clock. The play that most will remember is when Darnold eluded Murphy’s tackle to throw a touchdown pass the referees later disallowed. Regardless, if Murphy hadn’t read his keys and hold his spot on the read-option play near the goal line, Darnold would have been able to dive into the end zone for a touchdown.

TrentMurphyRORead-1024x576.jpg

Murphy forced Darnold to throw while his team was blocking down the field and forced a penalty. The Jets scored on the next play, but that wasn’t on Murphy’s watch. His pass-rushing was good against the Jets, but it was his run defense that really stood out. Murphy’s ability to lock Bell between the tackles was one of the biggest reasons the defense had such success on Sunday.

Edge contain is often a lost art with sack-obsessed defensive ends, but it is a critical component both to Murphy’s skill-set and the team-based defensive scheme Sean McDermott runs. Murphy used his long frame to keep the right tackle away from his pads on rushing plays. He combined his length with enough to power to shift the right tackle where he wanted him, essentially building a wall that prevented the ever-patient Bell from kicking it outside for bigger yardage.

TrentMurphyEdgeContain-1024x576.jpg

Murphy routinely set the table for his teammates to make plays at or near the line of scrimmage — and is likely receiving plenty of internal praise from his coaching staff and teammates. He didn’t register a sack on Sunday, but the way he played — and how it showed up on film — was more than worth the weight of his substantial contract.

And I got the wrath of many when I said I'd rather stick with the combo of Murphy and Shaq instead of trading for Clowney

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Say When... said:

that's what i love about this stuff, it's not always in the statline its about the opportunities it gives to the team.

Team...

-23mwj.gif?1546630789

TEAM has the letter I in it btw. it is just turned on its side in the middle of E.
Good to see such reports to help the less fortunate who are focused on FF

Just now, billybob71 said:

And I got the wrath of many when I said I'd rather stick with the combo of Murphy and Shaq instead of trading for Clowney

Not from me my friend.
Healthy Murph and hungry Shaq . nice

• Thank you (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Not for that contract.....give me Murphy/Shaq/Johnson for the money they take up and lets get more weapons on our offense

:P

Now Johnson I am buying. I hope that kid can be a diamond in the rough. But I love Clowney and he was one of the best players on the field again Sunday. See Alvin Kamara getting outside on the Texans defense on MNF? Doesn't happen with Clowney still there. He is the real deal. 

But I am encouraged by Murphy (who I have been sceptical of) and Shaq. They both played really well on Sunday. There are not many D-linemen in the NFL I wouldn't swap Clowney for though.