The real potential BIG Problem for DTV and Football

plenzmd1

It amazes me that people still watch football if "their team" isn't playing.  I lost interest in tackle football at least 5 years ago.

I watch the Bills with the family every week.  The rest of the day, Thursdays and Mondays, the game might be on in the background if we are home and there isn't something more interesting on another channel.  But if the Bills moved I probably wouldn't watch football  at all and doubt it would even be noticed much less missed except for the Bills games.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

It amazes me that people still watch football if "their team" isn't playing.  I lost interest in tackle football at least 5 years ago.

I watch the Bills with the family every week.  The rest of the day, Thursdays and Mondays, the game might be on in the background if we are home and there isn't something more interesting on another channel.  But if the Bills moved I probably wouldn't watch football  at all and doubt it would even be noticed much less missed except for the Bills games.

It amazes me people can watch the Bills and not care about the rest of league or watch any other games. If the Bills played football but wins and losses did not matter, would you still watch them? 

4 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

You obviously are not a degenerate gambler like some of us are on this board.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

It amazes me people can watch the Bills and not care about the rest of league or watch any other games. If the Bills played football but wins and losses did not matter, would you still watch them? 

That’s kinda been the Bills M.O. for about 20 years now ?

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Second half of the season, wins and losses haven't mattered much for the bills most of the past decade.

But yes we'd still watch.  We enjoy it as a family.  We don't get torn up if they lose (the Bills have been largely irrelevant to the league for my kids entire lives) but always enjoy a win.  It's a sport, and entertainment.  I guess we treat it as such is the best way I can describe it.

8 minutes ago, Gordio said:

You obviously are not a degenerate gambler like some of us are on this board.  

Well, not a gambler anyway ;)  Look at that Jets game for example.  One player gets hurt and the defense goes to complete crap  and lose the game they were winning comfortably. .  I'd have far too many ulcers if I was gambling on NFL games. Far too volatile.

Edited by CodeMonkey

14 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

I got your back on this. I feel the same exact way. Between the officiating, the dragging out of the length of games, the forcing football onto thursday nights, overall league greed,  I definitely only care about the Bills as a “social event”. When I’m not tailgating home games, I’m making a pot of sauce for fam to get together on away sundays.

Love the Bills as a community bond, but I really don’t care for the NFL in general.

*edit- just for clarity, I should add to each his own, if you wanna get down with 20 hours of football a week, enjoy!  It just ain’t my bag anymore.

Edited by 4_kidd_4
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Really? It's not that far fetched that football fans like watching football. Saint-Texans was a great game to watch

23 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

This is and isn’t true. 

If if i have more options, that creates a demand for service. The market dictates the price and the service provided for the price. 

If the NFL makes $3 billion from DTV alone, then that’s the number that they need to keep making. As stated before, DTV will continue to pay that, maybe a little less to insure that their business continues. But if you add in a streaming service across multiple platforms, similar to HBO Go, then you are expanding your service, reaching new viewers, and increasing your revenue. 

It’s possible that under this scenario, DTV will not pay $3 billion for non-exclusive rights, maybe they pay $1.5 billion instead, but with an Amazon, Hulu, and gaming platform deal, you can easily make that up within the first season. 

The numbers are there, it’s a matter of user interface and platform stability that is preventing this from happening. 

And for the poster that mentioned Madden. That game hasn’t been good in over a decade. The current iteration has brought back old flaws in the gameplay engine that were engineered out. Why? No competition in the marketplace. You let another developer come up with an engine that won’t allow a LB to jump 37 feet into the air to intercept a pass, and i guarantee that game will sell just as many copies as Madden. And EA will be forced by the market to actually produce a good video game worthy of the NFL shield. 

NFL 2K was a better game than Madden

9 minutes ago, nucci said:

Really? It's not that far fetched that football fans like watching football. Saint-Texans was a great game to watch

I get what you mean and to each his/her own. But between the slowness of the game, and the interminable dead time for commercials, endless stream of penalties, etc.,  I don't know how it would hold interest for 3.5+ hours if it wasn't your team.  Full disclosure, we don't watch Bills games live except for 4pm starts (and even then, only sometimes).  We watch later with commercials and halftime removed. 75-90 minutes which is reasonable for a game with a clock time of 60 minutes.

Edited by CodeMonkey

3 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

I get what you mean and to each his/her own. But between the slowness of the game, and the interminable dead time for commercials, endless stream of penalties, etc.,  I don't know how it would hold interest for 3.5 hours if it wasn't your team.  Full disclosure, we don't watch Bills games live except for 4pm starts (and even then, only sometimes).  We watch later with commercials and halftime removed.

on this we agree..when kids were younger always watched on DVR..now i do watch the bills live, but thats about it! Most of the night games are recorded, watch a half before bed, watch 2nd half in the AM ( i am old, get up way too freaking  early)

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

on this we agree..when kids were younger always watched on DVR..now i do watch the bills live, but thats about it! Most of the night games are recorded, watch a half before bed, watch 2nd half in the AM ( i am old, get up way too freaking  early)

You and me both my brother.

I have 2 of my kids not living at home now, one is local and comes over for "dinner with the Bills" still. The other is at college way out of town.  She watches along with us via my mediacenter software on her laptop at school while she eats and phones on speaker.  So the tradition has managed to stay alive so far :)

• Like (+1) 1

NE has damaged the game. It feels like nothing that happens matters because they always win anyway.

None of the young up and coming stars are able to build a resume.

Mahomes the phenom MVP with a guru coach!

Maybe they can come watch NE win the Super Bowl with me this February.

That is hurting the game, IMO. Nobody is up to it when it comes to NE.

Edited by TheFunPolice

23 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

I get what you mean and to each his/her own. But between the slowness of the game, and the interminable dead time for commercials, endless stream of penalties, etc.,  I don't know how it would hold interest for 3.5+ hours if it wasn't your team.  Full disclosure, we don't watch Bills games live except for 4pm starts (and even then, only sometimes).  We watch later with commercials and halftime removed. 75-90 minutes which is reasonable for a game with a clock time of 60 minutes.

I get this part. it keeps getting worse...2 minute commercial for a replay review that takes 10 seconds.

• Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
22 hours ago, sullim4 said:

I view this rather simply as a fan and as a consumer.  Anytime the Bills are on ESPN, which I can't imagine would be more than 1 game a season, I'll subscribe to their service for that month.  Once that month has elapsed, I'll walk away and cancel.  College football and basketball fans, as well as MLB fans, can do something similar during their seasons.

ESPN is garbage outside of live sports.  I honestly can't think of anyone I know that would pay for their original "content".

Their production value on the NFL has gone to ***** as well.  Not just the announcers, half time show, etc.  I remember watching a game last year and noticed how they were mugging the crowd noise.  It made it less enjoyable to watch.

15 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

NE has damaged the game. It feels like nothing that happens matters because they always win anyway.

None of the young up and coming stars are able to build a resume.

Mahomes the phenom MVP with a guru coach!

Maybe they can come watch NE win the Super Bowl with me this February.

That is hurting the game, IMO. Nobody is up to it when it comes to NE.

What NE is doing in the NFL is no different than what John Wooden did at UCLA in college basketball for a decade from the mid '60s to the mid '70s.

Many consider him to have "ruined" college basketball for an entire era, unless of course you are a UCLA fan.

The problem isn't that NE is on too high a level, the problem is that everyone else is too low.

BB is the smartest guy in the game and as an organization, they are operating on a higher level than anyone else.

Edited by Nextmanup

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

What NE is doing in the NFL is no different than what John Wooden did at UCLA in college basketball for a decade from the mid '60s to the mid '70s.

Many consider him to have "ruined" college basketball for an entire era, unless of course you are a UCLA fan.

The problem isn't that NE is on too high a level, the problem is that everyone else is too low.

BB is the smartest guy in the game and as an organization, they are operating on a higher level than anyone else.

You're right, and that is the frustrating part.

All these great young talents turn to duds when they face NE

At least KC lost on a coin flip. Mcvay, who is some sort of supposed offensive genius couldn't even coach his team to a TD in the super bowl

If the Rams lost 37-34 it would be different

In Toronto the cable monopoly provided every NFL game, through Direct TV, as part of a widely-enjoyed multi-sports package ($1 a day) for 16 years.

It provided (guessing) 8-10 games a week not "normally" covered on cable TV.

then DAZN snaked away the NFL coverage 2 years ago, which it wasn't remotely ready to handle

so the cable monopoly now provides roughly half the games on semi-subscribed and regular channels and offers the entire NFL package for an extra $200 if you wish

get ready for your turn.....

in addition, DAZN has snaked away Canadian coverage of a lot of good soccer including all Euro Nations games, Champions League and the EPL....

Edited by row_33

On 9/11/2019 at 4:56 PM, Buffalo Junction said:

I’m waiting for this to turn into a PPV by the game situation. I don’t see a way around that with streaming becoming more dominant. 

That will be the way it eventually goes.  There are tons of middlemen that really do nothing but buy a program and sell it the public. 

Its the ol' Jewish business model and its been around a long time, but there's no need for it in the same way there's no need for record labels anymore.   If you produce content, the public pays you for it when they want it.   You're seeing credit card merchant processing companies starting to shrink for this same reason as the direct pay and ACH products are gaining by the day.  Ticketmaster and their gouging is going to fall soon as well, because they don't add value, they just mark up and force to pay because of a contract they negotiated with providers.

Nothing is more fair and streamlined than a simple pay per view system.  Eventually it will rise to the top.

• Like (+1) 1