The real potential BIG Problem for DTV and Football

plenzmd1

Now this is some real dicey stuff here...i was never worried about the pissing match DTV was in during the summer, knew football would prevail and require a deal.

But now Disney, who is starting their own streaming service...now they just might have a much stronger negotiating stance. I think you can buy ESPN ala cart..can anyone confirm that?

https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/espn-abc-and-other-disney-owned-channels-could-be-pulled-from-directv-u-verse-and-other-att-platforms-as-early-as-friday-night.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by plenzmd1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Now this is some real dicey stuff here...i was never worried about the pissing match DTV was in during the summer, knew football would prevail and require a deal.

But now Disney, who is starting their own streaming service...now they just might have a much stronger negotiating stance. I think you can buy ESPN ala cart..can anyone confirm that?

https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/espn-abc-and-other-disney-owned-channels-could-be-pulled-from-directv-u-verse-and-other-att-platforms-as-early-as-friday-night.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Wow!

otherwise, I got nothin’..

• Like (+1) 1

I view this rather simply as a fan and as a consumer.  Anytime the Bills are on ESPN, which I can't imagine would be more than 1 game a season, I'll subscribe to their service for that month.  Once that month has elapsed, I'll walk away and cancel.  College football and basketball fans, as well as MLB fans, can do something similar during their seasons.

ESPN is garbage outside of live sports.  I honestly can't think of anyone I know that would pay for their original "content".

• Like (+1) 4

Sounds like the whole dynamic underlying the way the NFL is televised is about to blow up.

I think that is good for most fans.  Definitely good for me.

Just now, sullim4 said:

I view this rather simply as a fan and as a consumer.  Anytime the Bills are on ESPN, which I can't imagine would be more than 1 game a season, I'll subscribe to their service for that month.  Once that month has elapsed, I'll walk away and cancel.  College football and basketball fans, as well as MLB fans, can do something similar during their seasons.

ESPN is garbage outside of live sports.  I honestly can't think of anyone I know that would pay for their original "content".

Well yeah, but, uh, it's the live sports that make ESPN and its family of channels indispensable for me.

I like watching NFL games that don't involve the Bills and I like watching sports in general.  You never know what you might want to see on ESPN, including college football games, other random stuff, and most importantly for me, F1 motor racing.

3 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

I think their live sports coverage is horrible too! If you watch ESPN through a streaming service (I use Youtube TV) commercial breaks are the worst with their static ESPN logo playing for minutes at a time with cringe-worthy music. 

23 minutes ago, alton said:

I think their live sports coverage is horrible too! If you watch ESPN through a streaming service (I use Youtube TV) commercial breaks are the worst with their static ESPN logo playing for minutes at a time with cringe-worthy music. 

I'll defend their tennis coverage. It's outstanding.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

Agree, they have show after show of sports "experts" all screaming about the same things.  After the "Summer of Kapernick", where probably half the dialogue was about Colin I gave up on ESPN.  How many hours did they devote today to Antonio brown?

maybe someday people won't have to apply online and hope they are among the chosen few who are allowed the honor of purchasing Sunday Ticket.

Just do what every other freaking league does: offer the package on multiple platforms and stop screwing around with the dish. NFL does that purposely to limit the number of people who can get it. They DO NOT want it on cable, where anyone can get it without an application and kissing the ring of a garbage company offering a garbage product. 

36 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

Yeah, I like to watch too many live sports to be cancelling ESPN. I also like to be able to get up and watch highlights in the morning before work. I'll stick with Comcast. I watch all of the sporting events I can't see on TV via online anyway. 

50 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Tell me when i can buy individual games on Prime or Hulu, and then I’ll be interested. This whole monopoly that DirecTV has with the NFL is just such a wasted effort. Proprietary deals are irrelevant in today’s economy. You make more money offering the same product individually for more money. It’s basic math. 

I am hoping that this will be the case next season.  DTV is losing hundreds of thousands of customers by the quarter.  They have removed CBS, NFL Network from my programming and the only reason I am keeping it for the next 4 months is the Sunday Ticket.  If/When they lose the Ticket they are bound to implode.  At the moment they don't seem to interested in retaining their customers, as many have indicated in the other thread about DTV.

Can't wait to be able to order single games a la carte